How do i explain grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilpad02

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
This is my first time at this site and it's great. i plan on applying to dental schools this summer,but I have gotten C's in 3 of my 4 chemistry classes (orgo 1 and 2, and chem 1). I know schools will ask to expain your grades, but how do i do that? I'm simply not good at chemistry- what else can I say or what are they looking for- should I tell them that it's a hard subject for me and that i get easily discouraged by it, therefore not putting enough time into it?
I know that doesn't sound too good.
Thanks for your help!
lilpad

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't say that!

Being easily discouraged is not a good characteristic for a dentist! C's as you know aren't good to have on your transcript. Although, it is not the end-all, there are many things the admission's will look at--- grades are just one. (extracurricular, leadership involvement, recommendations, maturity, drive, and ability to do tedious, complex work WITHOUT getting discouraged
wink.gif
!

I'm afraid that your problems won't stop here. The next hurdle you'll have to clear is the DAT. This will be your last shot to prove that even though you received Cs in Chem and Orgo----you can hang with the rest of the nation. YOU have to score a minimum of 18 in the chem. and orgo sections, minimum! By having good scores you'll now be armed for your interview.

In final----I would take a biochemistry course and do extremely well in it. You'll have to take it again in dental school, so it'll help either way! So----nail the DAT and take some advance classes to prove you can handle it.

Good luck,
R.R.B

whatever you do, DON'T bring up your weaknesses, especially on your essay and during your interview. Let them be the ones to approach you about that subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well....

I sucked ass in the organic chem in undergrad as well. C- and B for both semesters. However, on the DAT, I scored 23 on the ochem section. My interviewers never even asked about my grades!
biggrin.gif

What's the moral of this story? All you have to do is prove to them that you have learned from your mistakes and was able to overcome any obstacles.
biggrin.gif

mmmm... I think if you are granted an interview, the admission board probably thought you have great potential in their school despite of your GPA. One of my interviewer didn't even ask me any major questions. He said that my profolio had given them a pretty good idea who I am as a student. The purpose of the interview is a chance to meet me in person and let me to see what the campus is like.

Also, DAT is a second chance for you to prove your academic strength to them. So it won't hurt to study hard for it ^^

Hope this helps and good luck~~~~~