How do I get out of this hole?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MI FLY GUY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First let me say this is a post for everyone who thinks they have it bad. I am a 5th year senior at Michigan and will be graduating in the spring with a 2.2 GPA. For 3 years I took physics courses and at this point am actually 2 classes away from a physics degree. Physics is too difficult for me and I was told by my advisor that I had to study something else or they wouldn't let me graduate. Math was always difficult for me and I liked physics so I thought that getting a BS in Physics would be cool, and everyone thinks physicists are really smart. So I took on physics while not actually wanting to be a physicist (smart move right?) So regardless I will be graduating this spring with a 2.2 and a Bachelors of General studies with about 80 credits in math and physics.

I want to be a DO for the way they approach medicine. I like medicine, people, and am fairly intelligent (except when it comes to advances physics). I have spoken numerous times at length with one DO 4th year and am friends with a few first and second year MD students but they don't really know what to say because they're all flawless kids who go to UofM med school.

I have completed, orgo 1 and bio, with terrible grades my third and fourth years mostly because I was taking upper level math and physics and didn't have time for the orgo and bio. Obviously I have the physics and calc done too. I would like to start in a DO program by 2007. I was planning on going home taking my pre med post bacc at Michigan State next school year and then finishing with the MCAT in the spring. Is this a correct way approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

MI FLY GUY said:
First let me say this is a post for everyone who thinks they have it bad. I am a 5th year senior at Michigan and will be graduating in the spring with a 2.2 GPA. For 3 years I took physics courses and at this point am actually 2 classes away from a physics degree. Physics is too difficult for me and I was told by my advisor that I had to study something else or they wouldn't let me graduate. Math was always difficult for me and I liked physics so I thought that getting a BS in Physics would be cool, and everyone thinks physicists are really smart. So I took on physics while not actually wanting to be a physicist (smart move right?) So regardless I will be graduating this spring with a 2.2 and a Bachelors of General studies with about 80 credits in math and physics.

I want to be a DO for the way they approach medicine. I like medicine, people, and am fairly intelligent (except when it comes to advances physics). I have spoken numerous times at length with one DO 4th year and am friends with a few first and second year MD students but they don't really know what to say because they're all flawless kids who go to UofM med school.

I have completed, orgo 1 and bio, with terrible grades my third and fourth years mostly because I was taking upper level math and physics and didn't have time for the orgo and bio. Obviously I have the physics and calc done too. I would like to start in a DO program by 2007. I was planning on going home taking my pre med post bacc at Michigan State next school year and then finishing with the MCAT in the spring. Is this a correct way approach this?

I'm not sure about MSU-COM but most if not all osteopathic medical schools have a minumum GPA of around 2.7 to even be considered if you apply (this is not some magic number, most schools list a minimum on their website). What you should do is see if its even possible with all the credits you have already accumulated to get your GPA up that high. I'm not sure if that is going to be doable by 2007. Good luck.

MI FLY GUY said:

Many (perhaps most) on this board need some help with our GPAs, the average on here being 3.0-3.1 and over the years many posters here have eventually gained acceptance to medical school despite low GPAs but with a 2.2 you're really facing an uphill battle. That said, at no point is it impossible. Your best route is probably to take time off and work and put a seperation between bad grades and good grades. Then you'll need as much help as possible... a formal post bacc if possible, a SMP if you can get in, and an absolute ton of ECs.

If you a totally committed to being a doctor, as in you will not settle for anything else in life, go the non traditional route and become a paramedic or something and go back to school in a few years.