How do I score a 500 on the MCAT? Testing in 11 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shinebright

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in desperate need of help. I would love detailed guidance on how I can increase my mcat score to a 500. I took a practice test about 2 months ago and scored a 482. Fast forward to now, after studying for 150 hours of content review and skill review I'm now at a 481. I don't know if I am struggling with endurance as I am taking 6 hour long tests. I don't know if its the exam stressing me out, or that I'm not memorizing enough. All I know is that I have to take the exam the 27th of this month.

If any of you would be kind enough to give me advice on how exactly to get a 500 in 11 days. I know a lot of people say to get a 500 is just content review, but I've read all the books followed with practice questions. Additionally, I've been focusing on strategy on how to take the test along with going over content. Sometimes I feel as though I'm familiarized with the content, but may not have everything memorized. Although I thought being familiarized with the content would atleast get me a 500.

Also I would greatly appreciate it if you can offer additionally any endurance advice. Any step by step advice to take me from a 481 to 500 in 11 days would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Find out your weakest areas and work on those. If you look at your practice tests they should have an overview with your estimated score showing you different areas and your relative strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: 1 user
You have no business taking the exam in 11 days. Believe me, it can wait. I can’t help you too much as I started at 500 baseline. I do know that content will only get you so far, then it becomes a matter of hammering out question after question, reading rationales, and if you don’t understand the rationale, then it’s an area of content you need to learn.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. All scores remain visible...forever.
A diagnostic test result of 481 within 11 days of the MCAT is inconsistent with a good outcome. It's around the 4th percentile.
A string of weak scores is quite damaging.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Push it back.

If you push back you wait another year to apply, if you take it now you will have that 482 on your head forever.

You can't improve your score in 11 days. These are tests of endurance. You need to do content review a different way and be spacing out practice questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

I am in desperate need of help. I would love detailed guidance on how I can increase my mcat score to a 500. I took a practice test about 2 months ago and scored a 482. Fast forward to now, after studying for 150 hours of content review and skill review I'm now at a 481. I don't know if I am struggling with endurance as I am taking 6 hour long tests. I don't know if its the exam stressing me out, or that I'm not memorizing enough. All I know is that I have to take the exam the 27th of this month.

If any of you would be kind enough to give me advice on how exactly to get a 500 in 11 days. I know a lot of people say to get a 500 is just content review, but I've read all the books followed with practice questions. Additionally, I've been focusing on strategy on how to take the test along with going over content. Sometimes I feel as though I'm familiarized with the content, but may not have everything memorized. Although I thought being familiarized with the content would atleast get me a 500.

Also I would greatly appreciate it if you can offer additionally any endurance advice. Any step by step advice to take me from a 481 to 500 in 11 days would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Please follow all of the advice given here. There is no magic bullet, no step by step advice, and NOBODY improves 19 points in 11 days. If the scores you quoted are from AAMC FLs, you are going to score somewhere between 480-490. Don't do it!!!

Reactions: 2 users
A 482 means even your CARS is terrible...and that is not a section that can be improved quickly. What exactly is your study plan each day? Definitely postpone the exam.

Also...there can be plenty of content gaps even at a 500, especially if you have a strong CARS making up for it. Also, 500 isn't much of an acceptable score unless you're going DO. I'd shoot as high as you can!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't take it. As a future physician I hope you would trust the evidence/data (your practice exams) and it is now telling you that you are not ready. With a score that low I suggest you take a Kaplan course. I think they're a waste of money and time for anyone scoring >500 but in your case it might help.

Your 2.79 sGPA isn't doing you any favors either. You need to take some post-bacc classes and get it >3.0, then score 505+ on practice tests before you take the real thing. What fairytale medical school do you think will welcome you if you got the magical number of 500 with your GPA?

As above have been mentioned. YOU NEED TO PUSH THE EXAM BACK! It's impossible to achieve such goal in such a short amount of time. What kind of books are you using for content review? Try doing more AAMC exams and find your weak points! Focus on them and once you have consistent scores of your desired goal. Then take the exam!

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. All scores remain visible...forever.
A diagnostic test result of 481 within 11 days of the MCAT is inconsistent with a good outcome. It's around the 4th percentile.
A string of weak scores is quite damaging.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. The thing is I really have to take it the 27th. My score is not where I want it to be but trust me, I have to take it the 27th for other reasons. This score is from a third party FL. Perhaps do you have any advice on how to get a 490 or 494 by the 27th? Any advice you can give me in this short time frame would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Dislike
Perhaps do you have any advice on how to get a 490 or 494 by the 27th?

The only schools in the U.S. that would reasonably accept a score that low would be "some" podiatry schools. Temple's podiatry school will auto-reject anyone with less than a 495.

If you're only taken a diagnostic test 11 days before the real thing you're not going to be prepared for the actual test. You say you have to take it the 27th but you're looking to end up with a really bad score if you do. I guess if you must take it, you should probably void your score.

I have no clue how to raise it that much in so few days? I guess review units and equations for CP, read more for CARs, learn mnemonics for BB, and memorize terms for PS? I just don't know if you have time for all of that.

You are not going to improve in 11 days. If you take the test and score a couple of points higher it will be luck. You have “studied” for two months and went down by a point. You obviously have huge gaps in your scientific knowledge and you don’t seem to understand the importance of not taking the exam in 11 days. I can’t even wish you good luck because this is a disaster waiting to happen. Please rethink whatever plan you have established.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Why do you have to take it?

You are just not ready now. Wait a few years and then become a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're only taken a diagnostic test 11 days before the real thing you're not going to be prepared for the actual test. You say you have to take it the 27th but you're looking to end up with a really bad score if you do. I guess if you must take it, you should probably void your score.

I have no clue how to raise it that much in so few days? I guess review units and equations for CP, read more for CARs, learn mnemonics for BB, and memorize terms for PS? I just don't know if you have time for all of that.
I'll try and do that in the mean time. I know I just really have to take it. I have no other choice.

• Dislike
I'll try and do that in the mean time. I know I just really have to take it. I have no other choice.

And in the future an ADCOM reviewing your application will wonder why you took a career defining exam unprepared and question your judgement! There are always choices and options!

• Love
Are you in a BS/MD program?

Are you just under some impression if you don't apply right out of college your life is over?

If you want actually help you need to share your plan. "I know my life best" isn't going to help anyone because right now what you're doing isn't bringing about the desired result for you.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. The thing is I really have to take it the 27th. My score is not where I want it to be but trust me, I have to take it the 27th for other reasons. This score is from a third party FL. Perhaps do you have any advice on how to get a 490 or 494 by the 27th? Any advice you can give me in this short time frame would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Is there a reason you only have third party scores? I'm not going to question WHY you HAVE to take it now. You already have the consensus advice, and ti is unanimous, so I think you know what you are looking at. I do, however, have one somewhat encouraging thing to say to you. Third party scores tend to be deflated, so you might very well do better on the real thing.

500? Who knows, if you don't have any AAMC FLs as a barometer. Is there a reason you can't get them? TBH, it doesn't matter if you are going to take it on the 27th regardless, but taking one or two AAMC FLs will at least give you an accurate measure of what to expect. For what it's worth, you might already be at 490-494, depending on how deflated your third party is.

Here is what she posted over a year ago. Maybe it explains her poor practice scores!

Jul 23, 2019
This school year; 2019-2020 is my last year of undergrad. I've decided to take a gap year after college so I can improve my application. My gpa and EC's are quite low and I am planning on taking the MCAT later this year. What should I focus on this year to increase my chances of being accepted?

Major: Biology
CGPA: 2.95
SGPA: 2.79
URM

EC: 60 hours volunteering by monitoring time outs before surgeries, 48 hours volunteering in ER, 24 hours of community service from 3 clubs, recently appointed president of a community service club, cashier for a year, competed in pageants with my platform being STEM, no shadowing, no research”

• Wow
Here is what she posted over a year ago. Maybe it explains her poor practice scores!

Jul 23, 2019
This school year; 2019-2020 is my last year of undergrad. I've decided to take a gap year after college so I can improve my application. My gpa and EC's are quite low and I am planning on taking the MCAT later this year. What should I focus on this year to increase my chances of being accepted?

Major: Biology
CGPA: 2.95
SGPA: 2.79
URM

EC: 60 hours volunteering by monitoring time outs before surgeries, 48 hours volunteering in ER, 24 hours of community service from 3 clubs, recently appointed president of a community service club, cashier for a year, competed in pageants with my platform being STEM, no shadowing, no research”
Seems like trolling, but the posts are so far and few between that that doesn't really explain it either! On the other hand, the good news is that if this is what the application looks like, the MCAT score isn't going to matter. :laugh:

Still, nothing explains the rush, and the mystery DOES suggest troll, as well as the repeated requests for the secret tip to bump the score up two dozen points with little to no effort.

• Haha
Please please please do not take it in 11 days. You have a very high likelihood of sinking your dreams of med school forever.

• Love
Okay I appreciate the advice, good or bad. I'll try and see if I can push back my date. I will be fine regardless of what happens. There are students who have gotten into medical school with my stats (my stats have increased). There are students who have taken the mcat 6 times and are now in medical school. There's even students who took the mcat 6 times, their highest score was a 495 and now they are saving the world in medical school. In all I will be fine, and thank you to those who have my best interest at heart. Have a great day!

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Okay...
Okay I appreciate the advice, good or bad. I'll try and see if I can push back my date. I will be fine regardless of what happens. There are students who have gotten into medical school with my stats (my stats have increased). There are students who have taken the mcat 6 times and are now in medical school. There's even students who took the mcat 6 times, their highest score was a 495 and now they are saving the world in medical school. In all I will be fine, and thank you to those who have my best interest at heart. Have a great day!
Fewer than 1% of applicants take the MCAT more than 3 times.

• Dislike
That is a good observation to take into account. The link below: She went to Duke University for undergrad. Took the MCAT 6 times and scored a 495 for her highest score. She's in medical today. Thank you.

7:51 / 45:49 She Had to Take the MCAT 6 Times—But She Finally Got Into Med School | The Premed Years Ep. 385
One such case is insufficient support for choosing to follow a similar path.
A single strong MCAT score is far more likely to result in a good outcome.

Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.