How do I study for general chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Lyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am currently a Freshman at UCONN . I attended a public high school in Hartford and my background in chemistry is kind of weak. (Last chemistry class-Junior year of HS). My roommate is very smart, but she is struggling with general chemistry (and so are bunch of other friends who are taking the class) Since many people here might be upperclassmen, I was wondering if someone would give me some advice on how to study for general chemistry if I want to pass the class with at least an A-.
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Understand the terms, concepts, and how they interrelate; then do as many practice problems as physically possible. By understanding the terminology and concepts, along with application of chemical processes, you'll be able to understand the chemistry. With hard work you will then be able to predict specific chemical outcomes, which will allow you to demolish tests because you'll understand what is suppose to happen (chemically).

Gen Chem like most science classes except maybe bio is all about practice problems. If you want to excel, do every problem you can get your hands from the class, the textbook or even the internet. Being able to apply the concepts taught in lecture to new and novel problems is a skill learned from practice. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might be better to ask people at Uconn who have taken and done well in the course before. I would recommend asking your professor for exams from previous years and using them as a diagnostic for what you need to work on.

Chem is cake, just make sure you know the basics backwards and forwards. Understand how to convert units, you will do that......forever. And understand relationships within formulas. If you increase/decrease one number and how it affects the other numbers. know your ions, oxidation numbers, and nomenclature.

I agree practice questions are key to success. First you have to know concepts and terms then you apply them. What text are you using? Also check out Chegg and khan academy.

So, I am currently a Freshman at UCONN . I attended a public high school in Hartford and my background in chemistry is kind of weak. (Last chemistry class-Junior year of HS). My roommate is very smart, but she is struggling with general chemistry (and so are bunch of other friends who are taking the class) Since many people here might be upperclassmen, I was wondering if someone would give me some advice on how to study for general chemistry if I want to pass the class with at least an A-.
Thank you :)
be good at math, if you can do basic algebra you can do gen chem. the hardest part of gen chem 1 and 2 was learning properties of natural logarithms. if you can do the math that should guarantee you atleast a B, the rest comes from studying the concepts.

Like I don't get how people think the class was hard, In chem 1 there were people with A's in calculus that were struggling to do stoichiometry..

people say that if you pay attention to the units it will help, for me If you memorize the mathematical processes of the calculations the units don't matter. youll have the answer and that's all that matters.