how do i switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbigdawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i matched into a program that I really wanted to be at but unfortunately, i want to switch to another program in a different location because of personal reasons....basically i'm in the dc/va area and i want to go to nyc....i'm doing my prelim year right now and want to do my pgy2 year (1st neuro year) in nyc... how do i do this ? how do i break it to my program director, when do i look for programs and how do i go about getting into another program? i thought i had it all figured out when match was over but i guess it's not over for me just yet... thanks in advance for any advice....

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone...i'd really appreciate some advice if someone has any....thanks in advance.

Just get the emails of the PDs or P secys from the FREIDA website & email your CV directly to them with an explanation of why you want to switch to NYC. See their response. If they want you, they will call you for an interview. You will have to provide them with LORs. You can send them LORs from you IM attendings. Eventually you may have to get a release letter from your Neuro PD.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

I believe if you are switching into a diff program in the same specialty, you will need to argue that you will be placed in extreme duress or hardship if you continued on the program where you match. Definitely easier if switching specialties. Have you taked with your PD at all? It's tricky beause you dont want them to kno you dont want to be with them, bt if you dont find a slot, you very well have to be with the.