How do people get straight As?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMcDent

UCSC undergrad
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been keeping me curious. How do some people who have low gpas in undergrad, go to a post bac and change 180 and start getting As and 4.0s or close to 4.0s?

and for those who havent gone to post bacs and just did well in undergrad how were you guys able to gets good grades and straight As? Any tips or secrets? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am curious as well. My peak seems to be at an A-, and I only receive A when the professor doesn't assign +/-.

As for the A- I receive, though... I study hard for every test! I know this seems like common sense, but I feel as if most of my peers/friends just mess around until Finals to see where they stand.

I get in the mindstate that each test is the final, because in college... it technically is! It really is hard to get an A. If you have one bad test day, you are basically screwed

Reactions: 1 users
When studying becomes the #1 priority in your life, it's not that difficult to get all As.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I really think it's not that hard to get straight A's. People who got low gpa probably didn't care enough to study and when they actually had a goal, they went all in with studying.

because in post-bac you become friends with the prof, as long as you dont blow up the lab you will get an A.

because in post-bac you become friends with the prof, as long as you dont blow up the lab you will get an A.

That's silly. I got to know exactly zero of my professors throughout undergrad or post-bacc. And I slayed it!

It's all about your mindset and time management. It's not easy, but very doable if you put in the time. For me, I would read the syllabus for each course and make a chart showing assignment due dates, midterm/quiz dates, etc for the term. That way I could map out where I would have time each week to study, work on papers, volunteer, shadow, work out, hang out with gf, etc. I remember in October of first semester last year I had 4 midterms in one week (one each day from Tuesday-Friday), each worth about 30% of my mark. I literally couldn't mess any of them up. I was able to rock them but each sleep was about 3 hours that week lol. It's all about the commitment.....followed by a weekend of naps :)

As far as the undergrad/post-bacc 180° change -- as has been said above, it's about having a goal.

A goal -- but also a couple unfulfilling years out of undergrad to whip you forward. Gets you motivated. Angry almost.

My uncle used to be a biology professor and said that nobody beats the 'comebackers'

Reactions: 6 users
This has been keeping me curious. How do some people who have low gpas in undergrad, go to a post bac and change 180 and start getting As and 4.0s or close to 4.0s?

and for those who havent gone to post bacs and just did well in undergrad how were you guys able to gets good grades and straight As? Any tips or secrets? :)
it was do-or-die for me man, I knew the only way to get into dental school was to fix the old undergrad GPA, 3+ years of straight 4.0 post-bacc was the end result (and utilizing ratemyprofessor.com and picking the "right" professors)

You don't need a 4.0 to get into dental school. Just get a 3.7+ and spend the rest of time to have fun. Then study all you can for DAT. High DAT score and 3.7+ will get you in to a lot of schools!

For college you have a triangle it contains sleep, friends and study
when study become your first priority you will be able to get A's

Getting straight A's as a biology major is not hard. It is just time consuming.

It is all about how often you study and how effectively you study.

also when people say study smart, what does that necessarily mean or how does one study "smart"?

Members don't see this ad :)
it was do-or-die for me man, I knew the only way to get into dental school was to fix the old undergrad GPA, 3+ years of straight 4.0 post-bacc was the end result (and utilizing ratemyprofessor.com and picking the "right" professors)
did you literally study everyday after class to review your material? How did you study, just curious about tips.

bruh you do it by being a baller. DUH.

You just take things more seriously.

That's silly. I got to know exactly zero of my professors throughout undergrad or post-bacc. And I slayed it!
Im referring specifically to research based post-bac, obviously knowing the prof in undergrad wont make a different in your grades.

Im referring specifically to research based post-bac, obviously knowing the prof in undergrad wont make a different in your grades.

Oh. No one would have guessed since research-based post-baccs or research, in general, wasn't being discussed at all. But just the notion that being close with or friendly with professors or educators at any level of education (back to grade-school, even) would get you an A is a little far-fetched.

How to: Get Straight A's in College

1. Take notes.
  2. Memorize notes.
  3. Profit
Something I learned from my undergrad is that majority of the people who score As on everything are socially inept and just unbearable to be around. They are not "smart" because in biology class the only way to succeed is to memorize and if you have a good memorization you are set. College has only ever tested your memorization. Ask a student scoring As to explain a certain process or why certain things happen, they can't. They have only memorized the facts being tested on without understanding the connections. Only once in my biology major have I encountered a test that presents out of text book scenarios and asks to explain why this is. The people scoring As fell down to the Bs and Cs. Lets take a genetics course I was in for instance. The person scoring almost perfectly on every exam would not study until the night before to memorize his notes. Not much else to it. The key to a perfect average is memorization and nothing else. So by memorizing notes without understanding the bigger picture (and forgetting it all after the final) you have beat the system to attain that 4.0 GPA in college.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyday studying - yes, of course. I'd review each lecture on the day it was delivered. If you have questions you get them cleared up on the spot. Often I would just write my own shorthand point form summary as well - turn 5 pages of notes into 1. On the weekend I would re-read through everything taught to date. I found hardcore studying didn't work for me, but repetitive reading seemed to make everything coalesce, and unlike just memorizing, I actually understood. Its how I studied for the DAT as well.

Last edited:
did you literally study everyday after class to review your material? How did you study, just curious about tips.
I don't think I studied every single day, thats just ridiculous, but I started preparing for each exam about 1 week a head of time (maybe even more), I took proper notes in class, and in some classes (like orgo) I used to re-write my notes. Bottom line was, I needed to 4.0 everything, there was no exceptions.

What is some advice you would give to a new starting freshman in undergrad?

1. Do everything to ensure some early success. Try to ace your first classes, and maybe even your first few tests. It's a good source of pride to maintain a high GPA.
2a. Read the syllabi you're given and make a calendar, so you're never unsure when you need to study. I use a free program called iProcrastinate for that, but you can also just your calendar app.
2b. You'll probably notice that your tests come in blocks. That means you should plan on starting to study the week before, give or take - not the night before a 2 exam Tues/Wed mini-block.
3. Go talk to your professors. They're very bored people during their office hours, you'll make their day
4. Don't bother with a part-time job. This is situation-dependent, but, in general, a 3.7+ GPA will pay for itself down the road, relative to the ~3.0 you get because you had to deliver pizzas the night before a few exams. Some don't even get the 3.0.

That's not a comprehensive list, but it's a good start.

4. Don't bother with a part-time job. This is situation-dependent, but, in general, a 3.7+ GPA will pay for itself down the road, relative to the ~3.0 you get because you had to deliver pizzas the night before a few exams. Some don't even get the 3.0.

That's not a comprehensive list, but it's a good start.

Not necessarily. Many people I know work full time to pay for college and still get an 3.8+ gpa.

I am one of them.

Discipline - you have to be hyperaware of your thoughts so that when you're studying, you're trying to make sense of things by questioning the material and connecting what you know with what you don't know. You have you to be hyperaware so that you can catch yourself daydreaming and then redirect your concentration. Tips on redirecting your concentration is asking questions about the reading material, finding the answer and memorizing it, constantly. You must learn to develop a very loud internal monologue.

Find internal motivations: external motivations like money, clothes and cars are counterintuitive goals for internal tasks such as studying. To enjoy studying requires you to have goals that values and embraces self improvement and satisfying curiosity, the basic essence of which asks how did Earth come into existence and for what purpose am I living. If these questions are not important to you, you've got very external goals. You have to change your values from external enjoyments to more internal ones for you to really enjoy reading and studying. Given the amount of studying required to be a 4.0 or top 10% student, you have to enjoy studying to remain sane and content but not necessarily happy. Tips on internal goals: right before I begin studying, I tell myself (yes, I talk to myself) that if I am not competent with the material that I'm about to read then I am not fit to become an oral surgeon (a highly valued and worthwhile goal at the top of my list of life goals) and will never be a good clinician and therefore I may end up harming a patient (negative reinforcement). I also tell myself that during the times that I'm not studying, there is someone out there studying more than me and therefore becoming "better" than me (I'm capitalizing on my competitive tendency). Why do I do this? I do this to logically convince myself to study. While most college students were flippant with their time, I turned every hour of studying into a high stakes, lose or win all competition with myself. It was a strong motivator for me.

Time management: record how much time you spend on doing anything and then budget your time around studying. Record how long it takes you to volunteer, finish a lab report, read a chapter, hang out with friends, exercise. Always plan at least a day ahead of time so when you get up the next morning, you not only know what to do but you're also motivated to wake up. As you finish each task written in your agenda, cross them out. I find it euphoric to cross out each task and and see an entirely crossed out day in my agenda.

Sincerely,
a 3.9 student in college and top 10 dental student

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Not necessarily. Many people I know work full time to pay for college and still get an 3.8+ gpa.

I am one of them.
40 hours per week, and how many hours of classes? Is it the type of job where you sit around 90% of the time, and you're able to study? I knew a couple folks with jobs like that.

I would suggest a student add classes so that they can double major, or tack on a minor before working some $8/hr job. Again, it's all situation dependent. You may come in with enough college credit to double major more easily. You may find a job within walking distance of your house (like I did).

I certainly wouldn't recommend a freshman run out and get a job, though.

Last edited:
40 hours per week, and how many hours of classes? Is it the type of job where you sit around 90% of the time, and you're able to study? I knew a couple folks with jobs like that.

Yes sir. Up to 40 hours a week while undergoing a full time biology major at a 4 year university. Without getting into too much detail and specifics, it is a customer service job which requires me to multitask. It is certainly not an office position.

I agree though. I certainly do not recommend it, but some of us are dealt a harder hand of cards than others.

I would suggest a student add classes so that they can double major, or tack on a minor before working some $8/hr job. Again, it's all situation dependent. You may come in with enough college credit to double major more easily. You may find a job within walking distance of your house (like I did).

Sheeit. I've got ~35 hours/week, chem minor, taking 16 credits, all science, 3 with labs. Come at me bro.

It's a lot different going back to school after a few years off as someone else mentioned. I'm not suggesting take time off, but I can say from experience that I was more motivated. Perhaps it's a maturity thing which allowed me to take school more seriously as I got older. I graduated undergrad in 2008 with a business degree. Took 3 years off school, went back for my MBA and finished that in 2013. I've decided to make a career change to dentistry, and just started prerequisites this semester. At 27 years old, I've never felt more motivated in my life. I'm not getting any younger, and I don't have time to waste. The classes won't be easy so I can tell you that studying has to become the number one priority regardless of the teacher or class. I basically am putting my life on hold for the next several years. While my friends are out, I am studying.

As far as working goes, I worked 20-30 hours in undergrad and made out with a 3.4 GPA. I worked full time while working on my MBA and finished with a 3.7. So I think that even while working, good grades are definitely possible. Currently I run my own home based business which is a full time job in itself. It does however allow me flexibility as far as scheduling goes.

With all that said, it simply comes down to how bad you want it. I shadowed a dentist before starting classes, and loved it. That was all the motivation I needed to know that I have one shot at this, and I'm going to make the most of it. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
biology 1
gen chem 1
sociology
comp sci
statistics for life sciences
5 classes and 17 credits total
this is what i signed up for freshman fall starting next week and i have no idea what im getting myself into.
is this too much?

any thoughts?

Should be fine. My first semester was Gen Chem 1, Orgo chem 1, Calculus 1, Bio 1, and English - wouldn't recommend it!

Should be fine. My first semester was Gen Chem 1, Orgo chem 1, Calculus 1, Bio 1, and English - wouldn't recommend it!
How do you take gen chem I and orgo I during the same semester? Gen chem 1 and 2 are both pre reqs to orgo I

How do you take gen chem I and orgo I during the same semester? Gen chem 1 and 2 are both pre reqs to orgo I
I believe some schools allow you to do this , given that orgo Is "different". , but you usually need special permission for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just memorize everything the teacher says and what you can find in your textbook. Do set up time schedules to keep on track with assignments and studying, but remember that those study time blocks vary greatly with your ability to absorb the information at hand. Also go to your professors office hours every month or so and just chat with them about the class and your performance. They are more than happy to answer questions about their field of study so talk to them about that and you might be lucky enough to get asked to participate in summer research if you show enough interest, also this sets you up for letter of rec. One of the most important things however during freshman year is to find people that you relate to and go out once in a while. Don't stay pent up in your textbooks trying to achieve that 4.0. You meet some the of greatest people at 2 AM on a Saturday. Just enjoy being in college.

While we are on the topic of classes, has anyone had any recent experience taking Physics? I currently have a teacher who has horrible reviews on ratemyprofessor (I now know why), but they were the only professor teaching this semester. I thought about waiting until another semester, but I'd hate to get stuck with the same teacher when all my other classes will be harder at that time. Any suggestions? I plan on reading the book and just doing a lot of practice problems, but do you think hiring a tutor might be necessary or is Physics something you can "teach yourself" by reading and practicing?

While we are on the topic of classes, has anyone had any recent experience taking Physics? I currently have a teacher who has horrible reviews on ratemyprofessor (I now know why), but they were the only professor teaching this semester. I thought about waiting until another semester, but I'd hate to get stuck with the same teacher when all my other classes will be harder at that time. Any suggestions? I plan on reading the book and just doing a lot of practice problems, but do you think hiring a tutor might be necessary or is Physics something you can "teach yourself" by reading and practicing?

Khanacademy.com

Question answered

Yea, memorize equations and know when and why they are applied. I took it over the summer with a wacky teacher and I managed an A. Also yahoo answers is great.

Khanacademy.com

Question answered

THANK YOU. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this company considering the guy who started it grew up about 10 minutes away from where I live in the New Orleans area. I vaguely remember hearing a story about it, but I guess I just never looked into it further or maybe I'm thinking of something else. Anyhow, thank you again..this will definitely help.

Yea, memorize equations and know when and why they are applied. I took it over the summer with a wacky teacher and I managed an A. Also yahoo answers is great.

Thank you, I had a friend who told me the same thing about memorizing the equations. He said it's all equations so if I memorize them I should be good.

Thank you, I had a friend who told me the same thing about memorizing the equations. He said it's all equations so if I memorize them I should be good.
Memorizing equations is not the difficult part of physics. In fact, many professors will give a formula sheet. The trick is learning how to approach novel questions with the information you have and be able to properly apply the correct formula. I think the way you have to go about answering physics problems is different than other mathy courses, which makes physics difficult. I struggled more in physics than any other class I have taken.

How to: Get Straight A's in College

1. Take notes.
  2. Memorize notes.
  3. Profit
Something I learned from my undergrad is that majority of the people who score As on everything are socially inept and just unbearable to be around. They are not "smart" because in biology class the only way to succeed is to memorize and if you have a good memorization you are set. College has only ever tested your memorization. Ask a student scoring As to explain a certain process or why certain things happen, they can't. They have only memorized the facts being tested on without understanding the connections. Only once in my biology major have I encountered a test that presents out of text book scenarios and asks to explain why this is. The people scoring As fell down to the Bs and Cs. Lets take a genetics course I was in for instance. The person scoring almost perfectly on every exam would not study until the night before to memorize his notes. Not much else to it. The key to a perfect average is memorization and nothing else. So by memorizing notes without understanding the bigger picture (and forgetting it all after the final) you have beat the system to attain that 4.0 GPA in college.
+1 this. I completely agree with you, in fact I'm guilty of doing it with certain courses. In my Calc II final, I never bothered studying for it. My prof used to get his questions from the book, so I bought solution manual and memorized roughly every homework question he marked. I managed to pull A in this course even though I have no idea what I'm doing. It is a really bad habbit, but sometimes you have to do it with annoying useless courses such as Calc.

One more thing to note, please for the love ice cream and puppies do not post your grads online and/or brag about them unless asked about. It is really nerve-wracking to see people posting pictures of a perfect 4.0 with the quote: "Hard work and dedication pays off" because what about those people with a 3.2 or whatever than put in just as much hard work and dedication? It makes me feel undermined. Same goes for any other grade. No matter how low or high, keep that information to yourself. It is your personal achievement for you and you alone. I know too many people that do this and I dread seeing them cuz all they talk about is their grades. Don't try and have a dick measuring contest with everyone. #CollegeSurvivalTips

Reactions: 5 users
Also do you think average intelligent people is able to work their butt off and get 4.0s or straight As atleast? I been always struggling with the mindset that if you're not that bright you wont be able to get good grades which has had negative effects on my grades. For example, i would study my butt off and still only manage to pull a B or even a C...really a demotivating..

Also do you think average intelligent people is able to work their butt off and get 4.0s or straight As atleast? I been always struggling with the mindset that if you're not that bright you wont be able to get good grades which has had negative effects on my grades. For example, i would study my butt off and still only manage to pull a B or even a C...really a demotivating..
Ive gone through a rough spot freshman year where I mistakingly thought college was like high school (Huge f*cking mistake). I was that guy who could do incredibly well in HS without taking notes or studying and so I did that for the first month in my classes. I ended up with a 60 ion my first bio exam which is borderline F/D. That kick started me to review notes, take notes, read the text and study whenever I can for all my classes. So the next test comes around, I think I aced it. Get our tests back 2 weeks later and I still had a 60. Unfortunately for me I didn't discover the way to study that works for me until this summer.

Another story, my dad came to America without knowing english and outperformed all his classmates who spoke english in every class he took except for writing and literature. Right now he has his own business and is one of the top in his field in America. I use him as my inspiration because if a man who couldn't speak english could do it, why not me.

It may take some time but find the method of studying that works for you. Some people need to read it once, some people use flash cards, I like to see the problems drawn out because I am a visual learner. Find your study niche and you can achieve anything.

Ive gone through a rough spot freshman year where I mistakingly thought college was like high school (Huge f*cking mistake). I was that guy who could do incredibly well in HS without taking notes or studying and so I did that for the first month in my classes. I ended up with a 60 ion my first bio exam which is borderline F/D. That kick started me to review notes, take notes, read the text and study whenever I can for all my classes. So the next test comes around, I think I aced it. Get our tests back 2 weeks later and I still had a 60. Unfortunately for me I didn't discover the way to study that works for me until this summer.

Another story, my dad came to America without knowing english and outperformed all his classmates who spoke english in every class he took except for writing and literature. Right now he has his own business and is one of the top in his field in America. I use him as my inspiration because if a man who couldn't speak english could do it, why not me.

It may take some time but find the method of studying that works for you. Some people need to read it once, some people use flash cards, I like to see the problems drawn out because I am a visual learner. Find your study niche and you can achieve anything.

Same exact thing with me. High school came so easy to me, and college was a pretty big change. I got good grades, but didn't do as well as I know I could have. For my graduate degree, I stepped it up. Found the best studying methods that worked for me as FancyFloss mentioned, and then just worked my ass off. I didn't get a 4.0, but I did identify a few more of my weaknesses. This time around, I'll improve on those weaknesses and give it my all once again. The results will show if you put the work in. As FancyFloss mentioned, you can achieve anything.

I am a freshman this year and I have no idea where to begin studying my own way...what were some of your methods?