How do reapplicants look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about re-applicants. How does a medical school generally look at a reapplicant? I'm looking to apply this cycle (2015), but worst case scenario, I don't get into a school I want to attend, due to my MCAT (29). I'm preparing for the new mcat and will hopefully take the new MCAT this October and will apply AGAIN in June 2016. The main difference from my application now (2015 cycle) and 2016 cycles:
-NEW MCAT score and it WILL BE HIGHER THAN A 29
-Will have shadowed 3 more doctors
-Will have more clinical volunteer hours logged
-Will START non-clinical volunteering
-NOTE: I have a very high GPA, tons of research (several paper publications), and all other things a competitive pre-med should have :)

Since I'd interview in the say, Fall of 2016 for the fall 2017 MD class, in that second gap year, I'd be also pursing a masters degree (to show my dedication to academics and actually benefit of a school taking me in, I'm not just hanging out for a year!)

QUESTION: Does a re-applicant look better, worse, or the same? I can see all 3:

Better: Hey, you persevered, didn't quit, didn't look to Caribbean, you just gave me more $$$$$ for another secondary, and you're still here, way to go +1 point :)

Worse: Hmm...you didn't get in the first time...new mcat is cute and nice ECs...but we said no once, so why are you stll here? Kinda like the guy who gets rejected by the girl but still keeps at it.

Same: OK. You applied before. Now you're applying now.

How does a reapplicant look? Thanks so much for your valuable input!

Members don't see this ad.

Good plan especially if you can get into the 33+ range on MCAT. Even so, if you are OK with DO I would apply to a few as a backup. The most important part is that you have a plan.

Good luck.

I think it depends on the school. As a reapplicant this year, I think nearly all of my interviews (and acceptances) were at schools I previously applied to. I'm not sure if any stigmas hurt/benefited me in anyway... but I think all we really can do as we reapply is put our best foot forward and make sure we address our deficiencies in our previous app as well as we can.

You definitely look like you have a solid game plan to do so! But reapplicants do have the burden where you NEED to prove yourself from your previous application. Nearly all secondaries will ask you if you are a previous applicant and what you've done to improve your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stalker already PM'd me on his/her question, but it's a good one and worth sharing.

We don't look at re-applicants as "damaged goods". What we want is to see that whatever deficits in your app that led to last cycle's rejection get fixed. This would typically mean: you shadowed, you got more volunteering, or you applied earlier. Raising MCAT score or GPA also helps.

I had a question about re-applicants. How does a medical school generally look at a reapplicant? I'm looking to apply this cycle (2015), but worst case scenario, I don't get into a school I want to attend, due to my MCAT (29). I'm preparing for the new mcat and will hopefully take the new MCAT this October and will apply AGAIN in June 2016. The main difference from my application now (2015 cycle) and 2016 cycles:
-NEW MCAT score and it WILL BE HIGHER THAN A 29
-Will have shadowed 3 more doctors
-Will have more clinical volunteer hours logged
-Will START non-clinical volunteering
-NOTE: I have a very high GPA, tons of research (several paper publications), and all other things a competitive pre-med should have :)

Since I'd interview in the say, Fall of 2016 for the fall 2017 MD class, in that second gap year, I'd be also pursing a masters degree (to show my dedication to academics and actually benefit of a school taking me in, I'm not just hanging out for a year!)

QUESTION: Does a re-applicant look better, worse, or the same? I can see all 3:

Better: Hey, you persevered, didn't quit, didn't look to Caribbean, you just gave me more $$$$$ for another secondary, and you're still here, way to go +1 point :)

Worse: Hmm...you didn't get in the first time...new mcat is cute and nice ECs...but we said no once, so why are you stll here? Kinda like the guy who gets rejected by the girl but still keeps at it.

Same: OK. You applied before. Now you're applying now.

How does a reapplicant look? Thanks so much for your valuable input!

You have to look at medical school as a lottery too. There are only so many slots with tens of thousands of applicants. You can have a perfect package and still not be selected for whatever reason. People reapply, it happens, it's part of the game.

As long as you are showing improvement a reapplication is not a negative thing. They understand that many qualified applicants each year don't get in, because there is a certain luck that goes into it.

I would suggest that you call schools that you applied to and ask them how to improve your application. This cycle was my 3rd cycle to allopathic schools and my first cycle to osteopathic schools. I had 1 interview my first cycle, none last year and 3 MD and 5 DO II this past year. Looking back on my various applications, I think the things that I did that allowed me to be so successful this year was that I got new letters, took my MCAT again, got more publications, did more nonmedical volunteering and I applied super super early!

The three MD interviews I had, I was a reapplicant to all of them (for two of them it was my 3rd application) and in a few of my interviews they asked me how I had improved my application. I have been accepted to all of my DO schools I interviewed at (3/3), I just got accepted this week to an allopathic school, and I am currently waitlisted at the two other schools (they are known for waitlisting applicants) so it is definitely possible!

Good luck! Also, I would make sure that in your essays you focus on the other aspects of your application that sets you apart and makes you unique! :)

As long as you are showing improvement a reapplication is not a negative thing. They understand that many qualified applicants each year don't get in, because there is a certain luck that goes into it.

I would suggest that you call schools that you applied to and ask them how to improve your application. This cycle was my 3rd cycle to allopathic schools and my first cycle to osteopathic schools. I had 1 interview my first cycle, none last year and 3 MD and 5 DO II this past year. Looking back on my various applications, I think the things that I did that allowed me to be so successful this year was that I got new letters, took my MCAT again, got more publications, did more nonmedical volunteering and I applied super super early!

The three MD interviews I had, I was a reapplicant to all of them (for two of them it was my 3rd application) and in a few of my interviews they asked me how I had improved my application. I have been accepted to all of my DO schools I interviewed at (3/3), I just got accepted this week to an allopathic school, and I am currently waitlisted at the two other schools (they are known for waitlisting applicants) so it is definitely possible!

Good luck! Also, I would make sure that in your essays you focus on the other aspects of your application that sets you apart and makes you unique! :)

Wait, so you received an interview for some schools that you applied to 3 times? I'm reapplying and wondering if it's worth the money to include these on my new list.

I had three interviews this year, and all of them were at schools I applied to previous cycles. My friend is also reapplying this year, and has had over 7 interviews, many of these schools he was also reapplicant.

Assuming the only major difference is your MCAT score is that enough of a difference? Id have that along with more hours in my ECs, but I've more or less covered all ECs and activities required that people would want to improve.

ALSO: Say I apply to Medical school this upcoming June 2015 Cycle, take MCAT in fall, and get my score back in October --is that automatically reported to the schools I've applied to already?

Wait, so you received an interview for some schools that you applied to 3 times? I'm reapplying and wondering if it's worth the money to include these on my new list.
If their website says: "a third application to our school is strongly discouraged" or words to that effect, don't apply.

I agree with @gyngyn, if a schools discourages a 3rd application don't do it, but some schools are fine with multiple applications. Apply broadly, and hopefully you can add some schools that you are a first time applicant to.

A few things-
1. DO NOT take your MCAT in the fall if you are applying this cycle. Schools will hold your application until your new MCAT score is released, so even if you submit your secondaries in June, it would be equivalent to submitting them in October (kiss of death). The latest you should retake your MCAT is in July for a current cycle, otherwise wait another year to apply if you need another MCAT score.

2. EC-These shouldn't be looked at as a checklist and once you do them you are set. You need to show a continuous commitment to them as you are applying. I would also include things that you are passionate about, because this is what makes you unique. In all of my traditional interviews they asked me about my outside passions and interests.

3. Consider rewriting your activities and personal statement. I rewrote everything last year, and edited my personal statement to make it stronger. I also got three new letters of recommendation from my PI and the doctors I work with.

The major difference in your MCAT probably wont be enough. I did a lot to change and improve my application from my 2nd to 3rd cycle. I retook my MCAT and had significant gains in 2 sections, I got a new job, had more publications and abstracts, did more volunteering and applied early (all of my secondaries were complete by the end of July for both DO and MD). My ECs have always been the strength of my application, but even so I think showing that my dedication and commitment didn't stop once I applied is what allowed me to get in.

For any reapplicant, it is important to be honest and ask yourself what was the reason why you didn't get in. If your grades and MCAT are fine and you had no interviews, either it was your essays, ECs, or late applications that hurt you. If you had interviews and didn't get in, then perhaps it was your interviewing skills and/or nervousness. To get these answers I would call some of the schools you applied to and ask them how you can improve your application. Last April I spoke directly with the dean of admissions at a school, she read the notes on my application and gave me feedback. I took her suggestions, reapplied early, and ended up getting an early interview at this very school just 4 months later.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if anybody's mentioned this, but I suggest if you want to look good in this next cycle, you should legally change your last name from "Stalker" to "McLovin"