How do you guys keep patients organized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you keep patients organized?

• clipboard

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • pocket sized notebook

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • iPhone

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • PDA

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • other

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

laxman310

TheManWithAPlan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading 250 biggest mistakes, and it talks about being organized. Do you guys use a clipboard, notecards, pocket sized notebook, PDA, iPhone, or other method?

Please discuss...

Members don't see this ad.

I used to use the admissions sheet plus folded normal paper (I only had 2 patients at a time or ER with high turnover) but that won't work for my upcoming practicals with several patients, long-term. So a small notebook is the way to go for me! My PDA flipped out on me before and demanded a restart, so I only use it for reference!

I've been using a clipboard with an internal compartment and scutsheets from medfools.com with room for the patient's admission H&P and vitals/labs/to do list for up to a week. Helpful for when attendings ask for lab trends or baseline vitals during rounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I used pre-printed patient data sheets and copies of H&Ps folded in half lengthwise and carried them around in my inside coat pocket. I also carried a pocket notebook around for awhile before I got a pda, just for having something to quickly jot down info or stuff I wanted to look up later. PDA has the same function, plus it's a phone with wireless internet and various medical references.

The most common method I see is a clipboard. You can carry around a week's worth of daily notes, lecture handouts, H&Ps, abx cheat sheets, schedules, whatever. Reason I didn't do this is I wanted to make a conscious effort to try and learn and remember stuff about my guys instead of relying on my clipboard as an external brain. Looks better on rounds when you're not reading off something.

Some people use notecards on a little ring. Never saw anyone use an iphone or pda exclusively.

I also use pieces of paper (usually the daily progress note) folded in half lengthwise.

I was reading 250 biggest mistakes, and it talks about being organized. Do you guys use a clipboard, notecards, pocket sized notebook, PDA, iPhone, or other method?

Please discuss...
Excellent question--I read the same and was wondering the same. I've used a clipboard in clinical situations thus far but it's troublesome having to find places to set it down, as it can't be placed into the white coat due to its size. It does provide a nice writing surface though, which is important on the go.

I've seen people use lab printouts folded in half. Medfools is a good site with good downloads, thanks!

Those Wassup Doc products look good--but there are so many choices. Can anyone comment on the Wassup Doc products? They're reasonably priced and if they help me stay organized and look good--not to mention reduce stress--I may purchase them. I haven't even started yet and I already feel overwhelmed and daunted about all the things we seem to have to do and keep track of :(

Last edited:
I found one of the best things to do on things like medicine and peds is to keep a copy of the H&P and staple a copy of my progress notes to it everyday. This works well when someone asks what the pts INR was 8 days ago or what a lab was on admission. If you have too many pts, like on surgery I just keep notes on the pt list and keep all the lists for the last week in my pocket. Don't worry you'll quickly find out what works best for you. I've found in almost every rotation that things are extremely overwhelming for the first 2 days but by day 3 I pretty much had it down.

I found a clipboard that folds in half lengthwise and fits in my white coat pocket. Can't keep a thick stack of sheets on it, maybe up to like 10 sheets or something, but I don't have to set it down and risk losing it, and I always have a hard surface to write on.

I found a clipboard that folds in half lengthwise and fits in my white coat pocket. Can't keep a thick stack of sheets on it, maybe up to like 10 sheets or something, but I don't have to set it down and risk losing it, and I always have a hard surface to write on.

While looking for a handy clipboard, i came across this. Have any of you guys seen/used it? It seems pretty practical, especially the little reference notes on it. How has it been working for you?

http://www.whitecoatclipboard.com/servlet/Detail?no=3

I've been tempted to get that...but I feel it's really overpriced. I don't usually skimp when it comes to productivity tools but that is borderline outrageous. I also wonder how well it will fold when stuffed full of papers. And some reviews on Amazon seemed to say it has a tendency to break.

I would rather a much cheaper foldable clipboard without all the reference sheets, most of which are probably in Maxwell's anyway. I'm still undecided on an organization method--clipboards do present the problem of constantly occupying at least one hand or setting it down, and the ones with storage compartments are rather bulky. But flashcards are too small and won't fit medfools printouts.

I like to use whatever scraps of paper I can find

Seriously though--i would say that you should practice, practice, practice your oral presentation skills until it becomes second nature. Also, push yourself to try to orally recite what is going on as much with the patient as you can without referring to your notes. Your notes should be there to guide you, not to be read off verbatim. Of course, at first your reliance on your notes will be heavier, and that is normal.

I think the system you use is secondary to how well your presentation skills are and your growing clinical judgment. And knowing the creatinine from 8 days prior is less important than knowing if the creatinine is going up or down, and the reasons why it is going up and down.

I will say that I'd watch using technological stuff, specifically an iphone or pda, (notebooks might be ok) unless you are extremely slick with them.

Last edited:
I photocopy H&P's/progress notes. Works well for a student. Probably not such a great idea when I'm an intern watching over 15 pts.

Although I would expect that as an intern, my attending wouldn't jump down my throat for not knowing the last 3 days Calcium values.

I use my pda for everything except organizing pts. I haven't found a useful program for doing this. Early 3rd year I carried a clipboard that opened up with storage (like the dork that I am), just because I also carried several books that wouldn't fit into my pockets. That didn't last too long as I got more confident and needed to carry less books/got tired of carrying it around. I love the patient data sheets that you can find on medfools.com. Those are what I use now in the hospital. Your system will probably evolve as you go.

While looking for a handy clipboard, i came across this. Have any of you guys seen/used it? It seems pretty practical, especially the little reference notes on it. How has it been working for you?

http://www.whitecoatclipboard.com/servlet/Detail?no=3

:laugh: You may as well write loser on your forehead.

I just take the daily patient list for the ward, fold it in half, and write the relevant values and to do's on the back. I keep a few day's worth in my pocket. The medfools template is good too, I used that in the beginning of the year when I had more trouble keeping everything straight in my head.

:laugh: You may as well write loser on your forehead.

I just take the daily patient list for the ward, fold it in half, and write the relevant values and to do's on the back. I keep a few day's worth in my pocket. The medfools template is good too, I used that in the beginning of the year when I had more trouble keeping everything straight in my head.

I do know someone who used that whitecoatclipboard. he is an intern now, so I guess he's finding out if its useful right now. On first glance...i thought it looked like a better idea than it would practically turn out to be. its bulky and doesnt fit in a white coat easily. anything you can't fit into your white coat may be a burden.

I would say that having the admitting h and p on the patients you have is nice, because it includes all their pmh, meds/surg history/ and presenting complaints, etc. after that you need a system of your choosing- it seems that medfools has a few good templates to try. your system will evolve over time, for sure. but i'd say to start, having an h and p and whatever else you want to keep track of daily stuff is important.

So I got the wassup doc binder, and have tried it out for one day. It seems ok. Its sorta nice to have everything in a binder instead of loose papers, feels better contained. Theres not a lot of space to write H & Ps and what not, especially if your not a master of shorthand and capable of writing it down perfectly the first time. Its useful tho if your a med student and what you write doesnt go in the chart anyway. For the most part its useful for meds and lab values, and if your an intern its gotta be useful for a scut list. Writing while standing is more convenient too. And its about the same size as pocket medicine.

PS if your trying to save on space, take a look at the neuro7.com I got one as a gift. Light+reflex hammer+other cool stuff.