How do you guys respond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tortelloni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you respond to resident/attending that consistently engages in political discussion with you? Specifically when you know you will strongly disagree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Just nod and smile ... Neither favor it nor go against it. Just keep saying yea yea yea ... (F off - in your mind)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
How do you respond to resident/attending that consistently engages in political discussion with you? Specifically when you know you will strongly disagree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile
The safe bet would just be to just nod your head and agree, since certainly some residents and attendings out there will be petty enough to grade you more harshly if you're of the opposite persuasion. However if you can get a good feel for them, it may not necessarily be a bad thing to take a stance more in line with what you believe. Do so at your own risk, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This person is extremely out there on political spectrum (left or right - doesn't matter). His/her typical approach is, I believe "blah blah" what do you think? My responses have been similar to what has been suggested above, typically along the lines of "I am not well informed in that area but I would have to agree with you." Saying that 5 days/week is getting old though. In past he/she has not responded well to students questioning his/her beliefs. Guess I'll continue playing the game.

I agree with the approach you are using. Politically charged discussions with a superior are a bad idea, unless you really know that person. I would continue to claim ignorance to avoid offending him.

Also, it is poor form for the attending to be broaching these subjects with you, in my opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
If you want to actually engage in some stuff, make sure you do it in the same way you would your crazy family member. "I think we need to put guns in hands of every child."- Oh that is interesting, but would that really help and what about this or that? "Oh we need to ban guns."- You may be right, but I think they can be safe under these circumstances. The safe bet is definitely to nod and smile, but that does get old, and you can actually have some good conversations with attendings and connect on a less superficial level. But sometimes your attending will say something where all you can do is look at them and say, "oh....well.....um......how about them (insert local sporting team)."

As a poor med student, I remember a chat I had with a particularly haughty surgeon.

"What do you think about these taxes just for the top 2%?" (I had figured out he was in the top 2%).

"Guess it depends on whether I was in the top 2% or not."

They loved it.

So, if there's a way to sidestep it and be charming, go for that. I can usually disarm most political discussions with some humor. Unless I come to SDN and behind the mask of anonymity go nutz.

In fact, I would recommend venting in SDN and tongue-biting at work as a my #1 tip for healthcare career success.

Reactions: 4 users
Cry to your administration about being microaggressed upon and triggered. If you are a racial minority, theyll probably lose their job.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Tell them the last time you voted was for high school class president and your person lost.