How do you have time to exercise working retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnickerDoodlez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Morning,

I am a pretty active person and I like to run for about 3 miles per day. But whenever I go in to work 8-10hr shifts, I am so dead after that I just want to shower and relax. Is there a way to incorporate exercise into workdays for you retail pharmacists? I've been thinking about waking up early to do morning jogs before going in to work. But I fear that's gonna tire myself out before i even start my shifts..
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I run 30-60 miles a week. On days I work I get up at 5:30-6 and run for an hour before work. On my off days I just do it during the day. I never have good luck doing my run after work, I just relax to unwind. Once you get into a schedule and go to bed at a reasonable time (10-11) you're not extra tired or anything

Members don't see this ad :)
I go after work otherwise once I get home and my arse hits the couch there's no hope, especially with all the TV shows back on hulu this fall. Too easy to fill up on food and pass out.

Last edited:
If you are working 8 hour shifts it should be easy. Get up early and go. Most gyms open at 5am. If you are doing 12-14 hour shifts at retail then you are already getting plenty of exercise on those days. Go on your days off.

Reactions: 1 user
go before work is about the only way I can get my self to excercise - unless I am working 7-3:30 - then I go after

You don't need to exercise when you work in retail. You already get 3 miles a day running from the drop off station to the pick up station.

Weird
I guess I am the only one that actually finds working out relaxing?

Thats like asking when do you find time to do Heroin, I am so tired after work.

There is no excuse not to exercise... No matter how busy you are. Only lazy a55 people come up with myriad of excuses.

Morning,

I am a pretty active person and I like to run for about 3 miles per day. But whenever I go in to work 8-10hr shifts, I am so dead after that I just want to shower and relax. Is there a way to incorporate exercise into workdays for you retail pharmacists? I've been thinking about waking up early to do morning jogs before going in to work. But I fear that's gonna tire myself out before i even start my shifts..
Thanks.
I think you'll find that you have more energy if you work out before going to work.

I considered my 8 hrs/day during my community rotation to be adequate exercise. I would run for 5-10 minutes at night to help with circulation.

When I work 9-9, I just do 30-45 minute cardio (elliptical, bike, stairclimber, whatever). I do weights on my days off, or when I work weekends since those are shorter days and I'm out by 5.

i drive my ass to the gym right after work, take a lil nap in the parking lot if needed, then get my ass in... got to keep shredded lol

Check out Beachbody's DVD workout programs. Insanity Max:30, P90X3, Focus T25 are all 30 minutes per day, 5 or 6 days per week, and you will be surprised how much workout you can get done in such a short time. I started with the original Insanity but now I'm exclusively doing only one of these 30 minutes programs everyday after work at night.

Usually you can only workout either really early in the day or late at night. Since I have to be able to fall asleep, I prefer the hard workout early in the morning and cardio late at the end of day.

I hit the iron hard early in the morning (~5AM)--very beneficial with the post-work out effects: alert, pumped, and ready (to take all the BS at work LOL). Sometimes I am a bit bothered by DOMS with this schedule but I at a stage where this is no longer a problem.
Then I hit half an hour of cardio after work, mostly HIIT; and yes Beachbody home-programs are awesome: I've done almost all of them and my favorites are Focus T25 and Insanity max 30 (The asylum series is quite awesome too...)
Then on my days off I either swim or run; sometimes I rock-climb or even play a bit of basket ball--depending on the mood.
Working out is a way for me to de-stress the non-prescription way and stay in shape (yes, I enjoy being hit on by my patients LOL and of course I can tell diabetic patients to diet and exercise "with confidence" ;-)

Last edited:
depends on who you work for. CVS split shifts are money for workouts (yes, a good thing about the great satan). Either 8-3 or 3-10 most days.