How does the match work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverLaur

MSN, RN, CNE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that most derm residencies are 3 years in length and start after your internship in like peds, ER, surgery, IM, etc.

How does this work? Do you apply to like a general surgery residency and then apply to a derm residency during your intern year? Do you apply do a derm residency and then when you are accepted apply for a general surgery or peds, or other specialty for a year? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that most derm residencies are 3 years in length and start after your internship in like peds, ER, surgery, IM, etc.

How does this work? Do you apply to like a general surgery residency and then apply to a derm residency during your intern year? Do you apply do a derm residency and then when you are accepted apply for a general surgery or peds, or other specialty for a year? :confused:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/index.html

it usually happens that you apply (during your 4th year of school) for a prelim or transitional year at the same time that you apply for the 'advanced' specialty residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is explained in there.

The real answer is that it is a completely worthless, ridiculous concept that people refuse to get rid of because they are afraid of the unknown.

heh... probably true.

thanks for the responses. i know i still have a long road ahead before i get to that point... but I'm an extremely curious, organized, and planned person and i don't like not knowing stuff :p

so what happens if you match for the advanced but not for the prelim?

You can scramble for a prelim spot. There are usually a ton of extra spots in prelim medicine or prelim surgery. But yeah most likely u wudn't match derm either so its a moot point.