How else can I improve my application for next cycle/the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WindyCityZete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn,

I have a few questions regarding how to improve my app and I was hoping to gain some insight. (Stats listed below)

To start, I finished undergrad in 2014 with a 2.98 gpa. Knowing this, I began to retake some science courses I got C's in, while also working as an EMT. In 2016, I started an SMP (MA in Biomedical Sciences) at a local school that did not have linkage to any medical schools. This was partially due to the fact that most schools with "linkage" programs in my state require a minimum 3.0, which I didn't have. I performed well in all the upper level grad courses finishing with a 3.88 gpa. I also started working as a clinical research coordinator while in grad school.

I was ready to apply in 2017 when I finished grad school, but my aunt was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and my mom and I helped her with her treatments. You see, my aunt does not have any children or a spouse to take care of her. All she had was my mother and I to take her to treatments and help her recover. In 2018, I was gearing up to apply, but my dad lost his job and was unemployed for about a year. I withdrew my apps to help my parents pay their bills. While I helped my family, I took some additional courses at a community college and started some new volunteer opportunities in a free healthcare clinic and volunteer mentor to high school students. My aunt unfortunately passed away in 2019 and my father found another job toward the end of 2019. Finally, I was ready to apply this year, I took the MCAT, got a 501 and sent in my apps primarily to DO schools. With November almost half way through, and no interview invites, I think its fair to get ready to retake the mcat and apply again next cycle or in 2022. My questions is how do I improve my app besides the MCAT exam?

My concerns are that I spent too much time away from school and that my experiences are stretched over such a long period of time (approx 2014-2020). Would that hurt my chances? Do adcoms like to see more recent ECs? Also do I need to retake or take more classes? Should I look into another post-bacc grad program, this time at a medical school? Any info/guidance on which steps to take would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

To give more context these are my stats:
undergrad gpa: 2.98
grad gpa: 3.88
cGPA: 3.18
sGPA: 3.18
last 48 credits post bacc work (26 grad 22 undergrad) gpa: 3.93
volunteer work: 376 hours (90 free clinic, 160 mentorship program, ER volunteer 126)
shadowing: 300 hours ( 24 ophtho, 60 ER/Peds, 216 IM/FM)
clinical: 1066 hours (ophthalmic tech/EMT)
research: 4266 (CRC, 3 publications, 1 first author)
MCAT: 501 (125,125,126,125)

Members don't see this ad.

I’m really confused by your GPAs. The SMP isn’t included in your uGPA. It is separate. Are the 3.18 for cGPA and sGPA the result of a DIY Post bacc?
I’m assuming you are from IL. Is that correct?
Are you URM?
Do you have any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community?
How long ago where your clinical experiences?
You have way more shadowing than necessary.
Would you share your school list?
You aren’t really competitive for MD based on what you have shared.

I’m really confused by your GPAs. The SMP isn’t included in your uGPA. It is separate. Are the 3.18 for cGPA and sGPA the result of a DIY Post bacc?
I’m assuming you are from IL. Is that correct?
Are you URM?
Do you have any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community?
How long ago where your clinical experiences?
You have way more shadowing than necessary.
Would you share your school list?
You aren’t really competitive for MD based on what you have shared.

Thanks for your reply! I answered your questions below.
The 3.18 are probably the results from a DIY postbacc I did before and after grad school. I got the numbers straight from my aacomas app.
I am an Illinois resident
I am an ORM
I do not have any nonclinical volunteering other than the mentorship program and some events I volunteered at with my fraternity, but that fraternity stuff was years ago so idk if it'll be relevant.
My school list is: CCOM, LMU-DCOM, WesternU both campuses, Marian University, ICOM, LECOM, NYITCOM, PCOM (PA/GA campuses), WVSOM, BCOM, UIWSOM.
You are right. I am most likely not competitive for MD schools. My question is besides retaking the mcat, should I focus on increasing volunteer work and taking additional courses? Thanks again