How far advance to ask for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarBear11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to ask one of my professors and possibly a club advisor to write me letters for this upcoming cycle for a total of 4 letters (is this too much?). I want to be able to submit the day TMDSAS opens (May 1st). Is this a time crunch?? I did not realize time just flew by and both my other letter writers are asking me to basically write their letters for them o_O And can we submit before we have all our letters in?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to ask one of my professors and possibly a club advisor to write me letters for this upcoming cycle for a total of 4 letters (is this too much?). I want to be able to submit the day TMDSAS opens (May 1st). Is this a time crunch?? I did not realize time just flew by and both my other letter writers are asking me to basically write their letters for them o_O And can we submit before we have all our letters in?
Early bird gets the worm.

You can submit before your letters are in.

i'd say its a bit rude to give anything less than a 1 month notice to your professor. So right now, you'd be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no point in submitting on the first day the cycle opens.. yes, being early is important; but the first day? That's a bit extreme. Take your time inserting all of your information and proofreading. Submitting everything before July is still considered early.

Reactions: 1 users
May 1 is 6ish weeks from now. I think right now is the perfect time to ask.