How good is this "research experience?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris Benoit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted a while ago over concerns about the quality of my research experience, which was [unanimously] said to be more important than my grades (which is reasonable).

I'm entering my junior year and have only been researching from last summer (June '04) to now. This summer, I've been doing more or less full-time research (less than full 'cause I'm taking the MCAT, but close to full) under a summer fellowship from my school. I'm not ready to get published yet, and I'm beginning to doubt if I will have a publication by June of next year (when I apply) so I'm guessing my best tangible research experience till then will be presenting my stuff at a student symposium.

I recognize that something like that (writing an abstract and giving a talk at a student symposium) is not exactly stellar research experience, but I'm doing my best with the lab I'm in right now and I'm wondering just how good or lame it is.

Thanks for any feedback (and sorry, I guess I tend to ramble a little).

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that most people aren't published by the time they apply- so what really matters is the quality of your involvement in the research you have done. I've done less research than you and I'm applying to programs now. But including this summer, I've done two research projects where I am the PI and can talk at length about either one. Like you said- it's about quality of research, not the number of publications. Speaking from experience, you still have a year to do much quality research. Also, start looking for conferences where you can present your research. It'll look good, plus it'll give you the chance to meet people in the field before you apply. Good luck