How hard is it to establish residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ailiniel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get into a school from out of state but the tuition is quite expensive unless I make myself a resident. I am doing everything I can to establish residency except I would like to know how likely or hard is it that I will be able to get approved as one? Could anyone care to enlighten me?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to an in state school. All the schools are the same stuff anyway. All that matters is you end up with a license to practice. Hell, for that matter, find the cheapest one you can possibly go to.

Otherwise, you're facing an uphill battle. Having to establish 12 months of residency prior to attending school, paying taxes in said state, holding a full time job, etc... It's quite difficult to prove in state. If you're a veteran there's often a clause in most states that lets you attend school there at in state tuition, not sure if that applies to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Which state you want to establish residency? The law is different for each state. For example, you can establish state residency in some states after "living" there for one year as a student (i.e texas, maryland etc) Some states, it is impossible to get residency as a student unless you get married to someone from that state or something like that. (i.e Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, etc) These states only give residency to residents who are permanently located/working there and pay taxes to the respective state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which state you want to establish residency? The law is different for each state. For example, you can establish state residency in some states after "living" there for one year as a student (i.e texas, maryland etc) Some states, it is impossible to get residency as a student unless you get married to someone from that state or something like that. (i.e Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, etc) These states only give residency to residents who are permanently located/working there and pay taxes to the respective state.

Iowa... I would need to delay school and work for 12 consecutive months.

Soo...., assuming you got a job the day you graduated, you'd be losing $114,000 in pharmacist salary to go to an out of state school. Might be worth your time to just go immediately at out of state tuition rate so you graduate on time and start making that bank.... assuming you can get a job in four years.

Soo...., assuming you got a job the day you graduated, you'd be losing $114,000 in pharmacist salary to go to an out of state school. Might be worth your time to just go immediately at out of state tuition rate so you graduate on time and start making that bank.... assuming you can get a job in four years.

"A student who moves to Iowa may be eligible for resident classification at the next registration following 12 consecutive months in the state provided the student is not enrolled as more than a half-time student (6 credits for an undergraduate or professional student, 5 credits for a graduate student) in any academic year term, is not enrolled for more than 4 credits in a summer term for any classification, and provides sufficient evidence of the establishment of an Iowa domicile."

Yeah you probably have to work there full time for 12 months in order to gain residency in Iowa. I am pretty sure it is do-able, but why don't you go to your in-state pharmacy school or somewhere it is easier to establish state residency?

Are you married?

At my school, if you are married, and your spouse works full time for 12 consecutive months, then you qualify as a resident because your spouse does. If you're married, play that spouse card, that is what my wife and I are trying to do.

At my school, if you are married, and your spouse works full time for 12 consecutive months, then you qualify as a resident because your spouse does. If you're married, play that spouse card, that is what my wife and I are trying to do.

Exactly. This is your best chance for Iowa. I don't think it's possible to become a resident in Iowa otherwise, unless you delay school and work for 12 months as you said.

I am an Iowan - and yes - you have to live there a year - and being a student doesn't count. Iowa had a very low out of state tuition rate - hence why a bunch of people from Illinois flood in. What state do you live in? what school are available there?

"A student who moves to Iowa may be eligible for resident classification at the next registration following 12 consecutive months in the state provided the student is not enrolled as more than a half-time student (6 credits for an undergraduate or professional student, 5 credits for a graduate student) in any academic year term, is not enrolled for more than 4 credits in a summer term for any classification, and provides sufficient evidence of the establishment of an Iowa domicile."
?

This loophole would not apply to you since a pharmacy program is considered full time. So you would have to pay out of state tuition for all 4 years. The only way around this is to get official State issued documentation (in FL they like vehicle registration or voter registration along.. To get those, you need something like a utility bill in your name to prove residency. And all documentation will likely need to be dated 12 months before matriculation.

This loophole would not apply to you since a pharmacy program is considered full time. So you would have to pay out of state tuition for all 4 years. The only way around this is to get official State issued documentation (in FL they like vehicle registration or voter registration along.. To get those, you need something like a utility bill in your name to prove residency. And all documentation will likely need to be dated 12 months before matriculation.
exactly - would have to delay school for a year

Exactly. This is your best chance for Iowa. I don't think it's possible to become a resident in Iowa otherwise, unless you delay school and work for 12 months as you said.

I think this pretty much goes for any state. I just know it does for certain in Alabama.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this pretty much goes for any state. I just know it does for certain in Alabama.
most states, although in Nebraska it is stupid easy to get residency. Literally move there, open a checking account, go down to the DMV and get a license showing said checking account, then go to your financial aid counselor and show license - tada - in state residency.

But then again it is Nebraska, and who the hell wants to live there? :)

most states, although in Nebraska it is stupid easy to get residency. Literally move there, open a checking account, go down to the DMV and get a license showing said checking account, then go to your financial aid counselor and show license - tada - in state residency.

But then again it is Nebraska, and who the hell wants to live there? :)

I heard Omaha is decent place to live.... ;)

I heard Omaha is decent place to live.... ;)

My parents were going to grad school in the early 90's, and I remember both Omaha and Lincoln as being not bad at all. Just the weather were extreme, very hot summers and very cold winters.

I grew up 30 minutes outside of Omaha - but on the Iowa side - Omaha is a good place to live, but the Iowan in me refuses to admit it :)

Why does all the corn in Iowa lean east? Because Illinois sucks and Nebraska blows!!!

I grew up 30 minutes outside of Omaha - but on the Iowa side - Omaha is a good place to live, but the Iowan in me refuses to admit it :)

Why does all the corn in Iowa lean east? Because Illinois sucks and Nebraska blows!!!

lol :) :thumbup::thumbup:

Are you married?

No, I will have to find some other way to show genuine interest. Register to vote, obtain a driver's license, work, file taxes..sign up for a library card for good measure.

In any case, I will be living with a roommate starting from July onwards until August 1. As to working I have not started yet, but have recently just finished a job interview.

From what the registrar had posted, the list for establishing residency seems pretty straightforward. But I wonder if there is more to it than that. I don't want this all to have been done in vain. Not that I mind the aspect of delaying school to work for a year as a learning experience.

Last edited:
My school would only grant me in-state status on three conditions: I work full-time in the state, have a parent working full-time in the state, or get married to a resident. Luckily I got 75% of my out of state tuition waived because of my grades so it wasn't that big of a deal.