How helpful are upward trends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrohazn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked multiple times, but I'm a little confused on when upward trends are noticed in my application, and how positive it would look in my application? I'm a non-traditional student (majoring in economics, and switched to the pre-med route, in my second semester of my sophomore year before I transferred to a 4-year). I'm currently a senior at the university and planning on staying an extra year to finish all my prerequisites since I started late. My cGPA was a 3.44 before the second semester of my sophomore year when I went pre-med. After that, it's currently at a 3.96. I've consistently been getting A's and some B+'s ever since I went this route. I have a 3.71 gpa right now. So if adcoms were looking at my application, how helpful is this?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question has been asked multiple times, but I'm a little confused on when upward trends are noticed in my application, and how positive it would look in my application? I'm a non-traditional student (majoring in economics, and switched to the pre-med route, in my second semester of my sophomore year before I transferred to a 4-year). I'm currently a senior at the university and planning on staying an extra year to finish all my prerequisites since I started late. My cGPA was a 3.44 before the second semester of my sophomore year when I went pre-med. After that, it's currently at a 3.96. I've consistently been getting A's and some B+'s ever since I went this route. I have a 3.71 gpa right now. So if adcoms were looking at my application, how helpful is this?
3.7 is around the average GPA for accepted students, so I think you are in good standing (as long as your science GPA is around that as well). Upward trend can only help you. Do well on the MCAT and youll be fine stat-wise.