How I improved from 22 to 32 on retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Please read through this entire thread because I have went into further details about how I improved my score by responding to those asking questions.

After PMing the following information to several people, I figured I should just post this in a new thread so more people can hopefully benefit from it. Plus, SDN has been an excellent resource for me and I would like to pay it forward.

I took the MCAT for the first time in April,2011. My score was a 22 (7 vb/7 phys/8 bio). I retook it the following January and got a 32 (10,11,11).

First I am just going to tell you a little about how I studied the first time around. I studied during my senior year, which was a terrible mistake as I didn't devote my time fully to MCAT prep. I used TBR books and TBR FLs. I made the mistake of spending 80% of my study time doing content review and the little practice I did do, I hardly spent any time reviewing my answers. My low score wasn't due to using TBR but due to not studying the correct way. However, I do think that SDN over-hypes TBR books a tad bit too much, but more on that later.

After getting 22, I was very depressed, but decided to pick myself back up and enrolled in a TPR hyperlearning course right after graduation. I loved, loved TPR books for content review. They are, in my opinion, much better written than TBR books. The same chapter in TBR book would be 50 pages long whereas TPR would cover the same concepts in 20 without leaving any important facts out. I also am a fan of TPR science workbook because it provides excellent practice material. Now, as for TPR FLs, I didn't like these at all, but still took them all since I had paid for them.

After my TPR course ended , I was scheduled to take the MCAT in September, but as my luck would have it, I ended up in the emergency room a week before my exam so had no choice but to postpone it until January.

Now, I had almost 4 months until January but had no more practice material to use as I had utilized everything from my TPR course. So, I bit the bullet, and purchased a Kaplan online course http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Prep-for-the-MCAT/On-Demand/mcat-on-demand.html . I credit my ability to raise my score by 10 points mostly to Kaplan's practice material. The online course comes with so much practice (subject tests, tropical tests, section tests, chapter quizzes, 11 FL tests) that after pretty much practicing with all this material, I felt more than ready to retake the MCAT. Kaplan also sent me their books, which I absolutely hated and made me glad I still had my TPR books. I believe the reason why Kaplan has such a bad rep. on SDN is their terrible books and instructors.

To sum up, this is what helped me the most: For my January retake, I spent 1 month reviewing all the content using TPR books and the remaining months practicing with Kaplan's practice material (mentioned above). For the last 2 months, all I was doing was taking kaplan FL exams and alternating them with AAMC exams. I had this scheduled in a way so I would have 2 days in between each FL. So say if I took kaplan FL #1 on Day 1, then on Day 2, I would spend hours reviewing this FL. On Day 3, I would do practice questions on the topics I missed questions on. Then the following day I would take a AAMC exam and repeat what I mentioned above. Having these 2 days in between each FL really helped me not get burned out (partially the reason for my emergency room visit in Sept).

For every single practice material I did, everything in addition to the FLs, I used this strategy to review: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=786361
If you are doing this the right way, it should take you hours to post-phrase. Doing this, REALLY helped me spot my weaknesses and not make the same mistakes again.

During the last month of my prep, I started taking Kaplan PS and BS Section tests on the 2 days I had in between each FL. These section test are incredibly difficult, but having taken MCAT once before, I knew that AAMC exams are way too easy and not a good representation of the MCAT, so I wanted to practice with difficult material. These section tests, especially the BS ones, are what I believe really helped me score +30. All the passages on the BS section tests are experimental based which require less memorization and more critical thinking, which was EXACTLY how my MCAT BS was. The PS section tests are a little too difficult, but I still did few of them just in case.

For verbal, this is how I raised my score: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=894010

I took about 6 kaplan FL exams and almost all of AAMC exams. My average on Kaplan FLs was 31-32. My average on AAMC was around 28-29. I only got a +30 on AAMC 11.

The biggest difference in my retake studying strategy was the following:
-Spent 80% of my study time doing practice
-Post phrase every practice material, not just the FLs
-Devote my time and energy fully to MCAT prep
-Use TPR books for content review and Kaplan for practice

Some finals thoughts:
-In the end, I did ended up spending a ton of money towards MCAT but the 10 point increase made it all well worth it.
-TBR Physics and G-Chem books are great for those who don't remember much from their pre-med course work and need to learn from scratch. I would not recommend TBR Biology or O-Chem books to anyone as they are filled with unnecessarily details, especially the two biology books. The practice passages at the end of each chapter in these books are golden.
-EK books are good for content review only for those who remember a lot of the material from their pre-med classes and just need something concise to refresh their memory. EK 1001 books are only OK. They are most definitely not enough practice to do well. They are good to use while you are doing content review, but the Kaplan subject tests and tropical test were much better.
-TPR hyperlearning books provided me with a happy median between the too-detailed TBR books and the too-concise EK books for content review.
-If you are doing practice passages and taking FL exams without post-phrasing, you are wasting your time and valuable practice material
-I consider myself someone of average intelligence and if I can increase my score by 10 points, I genuinely believe anyone can. :)
-I know a 32 isn't the best score according to SDN standards, but I know many of you out there are in a similar position that I was once in.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
great thread, I'm in a similar boat (retaking from a low 20's score). I'm using Kaplan online, and I agree GREAT resources. Also going over answers in depth is so helpful, hopefully my results can mirror yours!

When did you start taking your subject/section tests?

Congrats on your score! This is very helpful. Have you posted this in the 30+ study habits thread?

No I haven't. I really don't want to type this over again to follow the format that everyone in that thread uses so I may just copy-paste this post in that thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is golden.

I was averaging 9s with TBR practice, but the topical practice has bumped me up to 11. Kaplan has amazing resources, and TPR is by far the best for content. Everything you said is spot on.

I have one question. Did you end up redoing the AAMCs on your retake? I have 6 Kaplan FLs and all of the AAMCs. This is also a retake for me, but I'm not sure if I should do the AAMCs. Let me know what you think man.

great thread, I'm in a similar boat (retaking from a low 20's score). I'm using Kaplan online, and I agree GREAT resources. Also going over answers in depth is so helpful, hopefully my results can mirror yours!

When did you start taking your subject/section tests?

I integrated the Kaplan chapter quizzes, tropical tests, and subject tests (only did few of these) into the content review phase of my studying. If I read a chapter on kinemetics then I would follow this by taking a chapter quiz, a tropical tests, and the subject test that specifically tested me on kinemetics. The tropical tests are passage based and are broken down by specific topics which is why I really liked them. I did this before I moved onto reading the next chapter. Once you do this, just rinse and repeat. Testing your knowledge while you are going over the content instead of waiting until completing the content-review to do practice questions/passages was a key difference in my retake study strategy.

My test was scheduled in the end of January and I took section tests during the month of January. The reason why I did them this way is because it is highly recommended that you don't start taking these section tests until you have already taken several FLs. These section tests were incredibly difficult but well worth it.

This thread is golden.

I was averaging 9s with TBR practice, but the topical practice has bumped me up to 11. Kaplan has amazing resources, and TPR is by far the best for content. Everything you said is spot on.

I have one question. Did you end up redoing the AAMCs on your retake? I have 6 Kaplan FLs and all of the AAMCs. This is also a retake for me, but I'm not sure if I should do the AAMCs. Let me know what you think man.

I did end up retaking the AAMC exams. I did remember some passages here and there but not enough to have a significant impact on my score. This was because I almost never post-phrased any of the AAMC exams the first time I took them. Had I post-phrased, I would have remembered a ton. I would recommend that you retake the AAMC exams because there is no better practice for the verbal section. Retaking these exams also helped build my stamina for the real deal. But if you remember to the point where you can single out the correct answers w/o reading the passages, then it may not be beneficial to retake.

After PMing the following information to several people, I figured I should just post this in a new thread so more people can hopefully benefit from it. Plus, SDN has been an excellent resource for me and I would like to pay it forward.

I took the MCAT for the first time in April,2011. My score was a 22 (7 vb/7 phys/8 bio). I retook it the following January and got a 32 (10,11,11).

First I am just going to tell you a little about how I studied the first time around. I studied during my senior year, which was a terrible mistake as I didn't devote my time fully to MCAT prep. I used TBR books and TBR FLs. I made the mistake of spending 80% of my study time doing content review and the little practice I did do, I hardly spent any time reviewing my answers. My low score wasn't due to using TBR but due to not studying the correct way. However, I do think that SDN over-hypes TBR books a tad bit too much, but more on that later.

After getting 22, I was very depressed, but decided to pick myself back up and enrolled in a TPR hyperlearning course right after graduation. I loved, loved TPR books for content review. They are, in my opinion, much better written than TBR books. The same chapter in TBR book would be 50 pages long whereas TPR would cover the same concepts in 20 without leaving any important facts out. I also am a fan of TPR science workbook because it provides excellent practice material. Now, as for TPR FLs, I didn't like these at all, but still took them all since I had paid for them.

After my TPR course ended , I was scheduled to take the MCAT in September, but as my luck would have it, I ended up in the emergency room a week before my exam so had no choice but to postpone it until January.

Now, I had almost 4 months until January but had no more practice material to use as I had utilized everything from my TPR course. So, I bit the bullet, and purchased a Kaplan online course. I credit my ability to raise my score by 10 points mostly to Kaplan's practice material. The online course comes with so much practice (subject tests, tropical tests, section tests, chapter quizzes, 11 FL tests) that after pretty much practicing with all this material, I felt more than ready to retake the MCAT. Kaplan also sent me their books, which I absolutely hated and made me glad I still had my TPR books. I believe the reason why Kaplan has such a bad rep. on SDN is their terrible books and instructors.

To sum up, this is what helped me the most: For my January retake, I spent 1 month reviewing all the content using TPR books and the remaining months practicing with Kaplan's practice material (mentioned above). For the last 2 months, all I was doing was taking kaplan FL exams and alternating them with AAMC exams. I had this scheduled in a way so I would have 2 days in between each FL. So say if I took kaplan FL #1 on Day 1, then on Day 2, I would spend hours reviewing this FL. On Day 3, I would do practice questions on the topics I missed questions on. Then the following day I would take a AAMC exam and repeat what I mentioned above. Having these 2 days in between each FL really helped me not get burned out (partially the reason for my emergency room visit in Sept).

For every single practice material I did, everything in addition to the FLs, I used this strategy to review: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=786361
If you are doing this the right way, it should take you hours to post-phrase. Doing this, REALLY helped me spot my weaknesses and not make the same mistakes again.

During the last month of my prep, I started taking Kaplan PS and BS Section tests on the 2 days I had in between each FL. These section test are incredibly difficult, but having taken MCAT once before, I knew that AAMC exams are way too easy and not a good representation of the MCAT, so I wanted to practice with difficult material. These section tests, especially the BS ones, are what I believe really helped me score +30. All the passages on the BS section tests are experimental based which require less memorization and more critical thinking, which was EXACTLY how my MCAT BS was. The PS section tests are a little too difficult, but I still did few of them just in case.

For verbal, this is how I raised my score: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=894010

I took about 6 kaplan FL exams and almost all of AAMC exams. My average on Kaplan FLs was 31-32. My average on AAMC was around 28-29. I only got a +30 on AAMC 11.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I got a 22 on my first MCAT and mainly did content review. Now I am in the process of studying for the second and I am utilizing the same strategy you are using. So this helps tremendously.:thumbup::luck::)

This thread is exactly what I needed.

I took the mcat in July and scored 20(8,3,9), and I'm registered to retake in April.

For my first take preparation, I primarily used EK's and a little bit of TBR. I studied only for 5 weeks, which apparently wasn't nearly enough.

This time I will use TPR and TBR, and my plan is to study for 4 months.

Hey man, how many Section tests did you have total? I have 7 for BS and 7 for PS. Just want to make sure we have the same ones.

Also, which 6 Kaplan FLs did you do? I have 1-11.

OP....I wonder how you did on the section tests? I just did section 1 for all three parts bio, phys and verb. I will treat the 7 section tests as FLs and will do them in dec along with FL 2-5. The first section test was hard. Plsss let me know if you did them and if they were challenging for you....

Members don't see this ad :)
OP would you still recommend the tpr course? Or take the Kaplan course (for online material) and use the tpr books instead of kaplan's books? Was the tpr course helpful/worthwhile? Thx

Hey man, how many Section tests did you have total? I have 7 for BS and 7 for PS. Just want to make sure we have the same ones.

Also, which 6 Kaplan FLs did you do? I have 1-11.

yeah, I am pretty sure thats how many section tests I had as well. I did Kaplan 1-6 FLs out of the 11. I won't recommend that you do any more than the first 6 or maybe 7 as the remaining are known to be way too hard/bad representation of the difficulty on the actual MCAT.

OP would you still recommend the tpr course? Or take the Kaplan course (for online material) and use the tpr books instead of kaplan's books? Was the tpr course helpful/worthwhile? Thx

Honestly, if I could go back knowing what I know now, then I would buy the TPR hyperlearning books online (they come up often on SDN for sale section and on other sites like ebay, craigslist) and buy the Kaplan online course.

TPR classroom course wasn't a complete waste as it provided me with excellent books for content review and most of my instructors were top-notch. After finishing my TPR course, I knew the material very well which is the reason why I only had to spend 1 month on content review when I was studying for my January date. However, a lot of TPR practice material, except for the TPR science workbook and the TPR verbal workbook, is pretty mediocre in comparison to the online practice material that comes with the Kaplan course. Since I was enrolled in TPR classroom course, I also had access to all the TPR material that comes with TPR online course. Not only is the quality of Kaplan practice material better than TPR's (I really didnt like TPR FLs), but Kaplan provides you with WAY more practice material, which is all online. To do well on the MCAT, you have to just practice, practice, and then practice some more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OP....I wonder how you did on the section tests? I just did section 1 for all three parts bio, phys and verb. I will treat the 7 section tests as FLs and will do them in dec along with FL 2-5. The first section test was hard. Plsss let me know if you did them and if they were challenging for you....

Oh, yes these were VERY challenging, but trust me if you take them and then post-phrase(very important!), it will be well worth it. I believe I was getting anywhere around 70-75% on the BS section tests and on the PS section tests I was constantly getting 60-65%. Don't let this discourage you and just use it as a learning experience.

Also, I would NOT recommend you to take the Verbal Section tests. If there is one flaw with Kaplan then it is their verbal practice material (verbal passages in FLs, section tests, and any other verbal passages kaplan provides) . I made a whole thread on what I recommend for verbal (link in my original post). I only utilized Kaplan's mapping strategy for verbal but practiced with EK 101 passages book and TPR verbal workbook. The problem with Kaplan's verbal practice material is that too many questions ask you about minor details from the passage instead of asking questions about the big picture/main idea/author's opinions. I did do the VB sections in the Kaplan FLs and got annoyed by them every time, but still forced myself to take them because I wanted to take every FL exam in its entirety to build stamina.

Also, I would highly recommend that you don't start taking these section tests until AFTER you have taken several FLs and are averaging close to your desirable range. The reason for this is that you need to really solidify your test-taking strategies and get rid of most of your weaknesses by taking FLs before you jump into these incredibly difficult section tests. This isn't something that I discovered on my own but something that was advised to me by someone who teaches for Kaplan early in my prep. I am glad I took his advice and I suggest you do the same.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the advice. Since Kaplans verbal is not good, would you recommend substituting EK 101 Verbal tests for the Kaplan verbal FL part?

Thanks a lot for all the advice. Since Kaplans verbal is not good, would you recommend substituting EK 101 Verbal tests for the Kaplan verbal FL part?

No. As I already mentioned, I did do the VB sections in all the Kaplan FL exams that I took. If you are going to take a FL, take it in its entirety instead of flip-flopping between material from different companies and take it as if it was the real deal--take only the allotted breaks, complete ALL sections in the exam, get away from distractions, etc

According to the PMs I have been getting, some people are not understanding how to post phrase correctly. Below I have provided an example of what I would write down if I got a question wrong:

Top of page would have something like Kaplan FL#1,My score break down

Question 15) -Wrong:
---The main topic being tested by the Q (Fluids, Electricity, Periodic Trends, Cell Biology, etc)
---Reason for getting it wrong (Miscalculation, lack in content knowledge, didn't extract the proper info from passage, ran out of time, etc)
---Work-up on how to do the question correctly <----this step is what makes post phrasing long and bit tedious, but it is well worth it!

I did this for every single question I got wrong. Many times I also did this for those questions I ended up guessing correctly.

Last edited:
No it isn't. I don't know what Kaplan FL tests are? If they are full length that means you were doing 3 per week. How many weeks? That's 30 if you did it for ten weeks.

Kaplan FL tests= Kaplan Full Lentgh tests. I explain my FL schedule in the original post. Since I took 2 days in between each FL, for the most part, I only took 2 FLs per week starting in the month of December. I continued with this schedule until my test date at the end of January and took a total of 6 Kaplan FLs and about 7 AAMC exams. I did take few days off here and there to avoid burn out during these months.

Kaplan FL tests= Kaplan Full Lentgh tests. I explain my FL schedule in the original post. Since I took 2 days in between each FL, for the most part, I only took 2 FLs per week starting in the month of December. I continued with this schedule until my test date at the end of January and took a total of 6 Kaplan FLs and about 7 AAMC exams. I did take few days off here and there to avoid burn out during these months.

Ok thanks. I am starting Kaplan in January. They administer 4 FLs throughout the course. Are these in addition to the FLs you were talking about? Or did you not go to the 4 Kaplan test administrations?

Ok thanks. I am starting Kaplan in January. They administer 4 FLs throughout the course. Are these in addition to the FLs you were talking about? Or did you not go to the 4 Kaplan test administrations?

I was taking the online course so I didn't have to go outside my room to do anything. I am pretty sure the FLs Kaplan uses for their class-room course and the online course are exactly the same. The only thing different about the two is that the online course doesn't come with a teacher, but all the material is the same.

Kaplan also sent me their books, which I absolutely hated and made me glad I still had my TPR books.

Kaplan has amazing resources, and TPR is by far the best for content.

So I've looked at Kaplan material and compared it to Princeton Review material and they're very similar. The major difference I see is that TPR has a lot more examples within each chapter. However, in the book at least, there are no end of chapter quizzes--which Kaplan has, so they kind of even out. What is it that you guys felt made TPR stand out for you? And, under which circumstances could you see Kaplan being a better source for someone (e.g. TPR is too detailed if you have a good grasp on everything and need more of a review go with Kaplan, or vice versa)?

So I've looked at Kaplan material and compared it to Princeton Review material and they're very similar. The major difference I see is that TPR has a lot more examples within each chapter. However, in the book at least, there are no end of chapter quizzes--which Kaplan has, so they kind of even out. What is it that you guys felt made TPR stand out for you? And, under which circumstances could you see Kaplan being a better source for someone (e.g. TPR is too detailed if you have a good grasp on everything and need more of a review go with Kaplan, or vice versa)?

I beleive TPRH Science Workbook and Kaplan's practice material have bumped me from a 10 up to a 12.

Is the online course really worth 1899? i mean honestly.. im trying to decide whether or not i should buy it :/

I beleive TPRH Science Workbook and Kaplan's practice material have bumped me from a 10 up to a 12.

Right, but what's the difference in content for you that makes TPR better? I just don't really see a major difference between Kaplan and TPR when it comes to content coverage or approach to content.

what's your opinion on the subject tests, especially for physics? I find them very hard, compared to FL's, topicals, etc. and they are very discouraging scores for me (range: 40%-65%).

what's your opinion on the subject tests, especially for physics? I find them very hard, compared to FL's, topicals, etc. and they are very discouraging scores for me (range: 40%-65%).

I found the subject tests to be easier than the other practice material, but remember that difficulty is entirely relative and its perfectly OK for you to have experience different than mine. Also, since I was studying for a retake, my content-knowledge base was pretty strong so that may have something to do with why I found them to be relatively easier. I am sure if I had taken these subject tests while I was still learning content from scratch, my scores would have been lower. I also didn't really do too many of these subject tests as I mostly just did them on Day 2 of my FL schedule, when I was practicing questions on subjects that were my weaknesses. For me personally, the level of difficulty was as followed: Section tests=most difficult> FL exams> topicals>subject tests>chapter quizzes.

If you are doing better on topicals, FLs, then don't get discouraged by your scores on these subject tests and just use them as a learning tool. If you are finding yourself improving on passage-based practice material (Topicals, FLs, etc), then view these low scores on subject tests, which are all descretes, as a blessing in disguise as they are revealing weaknesses of yours that you may not have discovered otherwise. Work on improving these weaknesses and you would notice doing better on FLs as well.

I can go on and on about how TPR books are better than Kaplan books. TPR books definitely do have end of chapter quizzes in all their books so I don't know which TPR books you are looking at. Remember, I am talking about TPR Hyperlearning books (only officially sold with the course) not any of the other MCAT prep books that TPR sells in the market. TPR chapters are much better written as they get straight to the point and provide tons of great examples to improve your understanding of the concept. In comparison, some of the Kaplan books (Physics books come to mind) start off their chapters with stories about some random crap that they then try to relate back to the main concept being taught. For me, this was incredibly annoying. I guess they were trying to be funny/entertaining by doing this but it just left me thinking WTF?! I also found the TPR in-the-chapter practice questions to be much better than Kaplan's.
No matter what kind of grasp you already have on the content, I would not recommend Kaplan's books to anyone under any circumstances. TPR books are definitely not too detailed and provide you with just the right amount of info. Compare the size of too-detailed TBR books to TPR's and you will see what I mean by this.If you want a book that is even more concise than TPR's, then I would recommend EK over Kaplan. Remember, I am not being paid by any of these companies and have had personal experience with all these books (the MCAT library I have shoved under my bed proves this:laugh:) so I wouldn't make any recommendations unless I thought they were worthy.

Last edited:
Is the online course really worth 1899? i mean honestly.. im trying to decide whether or not i should buy it :/

If you know you are going to enroll in a course, then I don't think you will have much luck finding a course by any company thats much cheaper than this. Trust me, it was very difficult for me also to fork over this much especially after I had already paid for a TPR course over the summer, but I was in desperate need for unused practice material. Was it worth it? All the $$ and the sacrifice became worth it when I got that 10 point increase on the retake. My recent acceptance to medical school makes it all even more worth it. ;)

Having said that, if you are low on cash, tons of people on SDN have had success with SN2's 3 month MCAT study schedule. If I hadn't already used up my TBR books during my first MCAT attempt, I may have done this. My only recommendation would be to use TPR hyper learning books over TBR books, use TBR books for their practice passages, and follow the rest of the schedule as it is.

Last edited:
To each his own. The Kaplan intro never really bothered me, it's one page that you can skip, just an anecdotal way to connect the material to something interesting in real life. I find the material to be totally adequate and it's more important to spend time practicing than focusing on content review, like you mentioned. So if TPR is your favorite (and this is your thread so preach on) then great. I just don't see a major issue with the Kaplan stuff, for me at least. I guess everyone's different.

I will be following a similar FL schedule as you, so it's good to know that taking full lengths with two days in between wasn't overkill. Thanks for the post!

To each his own. The Kaplan intro never really bothered me, it's one page that you can skip, just an anecdotal way to connect the material to something interesting in real life. I find the material to be totally adequate and it's more important to spend time practicing than focusing on content review, like you mentioned. So if TPR is your favorite (and this is your thread so preach on) then great. I just don't see a major issue with the Kaplan stuff, for me at least. I guess everyone's different.

I will be following a similar FL schedule as you, so it's good to know that taking full lengths with two days in between wasn't overkill. Thanks for the post!

No worries. No matter what book one uses, all MCAT test-takers end up learning the exact same material anyways. Some books just do a better job explaining the concepts than others, but this is entirely a matter of personal preference. I do want to point out that the reason my FL schedule was not an overkill because I wasn't overexerting myself. Take Day 2 of my FL schedule as an example. All I did on these days was post-phrase a FL, which would take no more than 3-4 hours, and then spend the remaining day just taking it easy while throwing in some verbal practice passages here and there.

Last edited:
How were you scoring on the Kaplan Topical Tests? Thank you.

I was doing fairly well on these. Sorry, its been almost a year so don't remember the exact score break down (or was it percentages?). But, I do remember not finding these to be too difficult.

I just want to say that I am in the same situation as you, OP. retaking a 22, and will beast it next time. I'll use your study plan. Thanks!

Not sure if OP still uses SDN or not, but I remember reading this thread and following his advice. I went from a 24 to a 32. Major props to this guy for making this thread

EDIT: Please read through this entire thread because I have went into further details about how I improved my score by responding to those asking questions.

Now, I had almost 4 months until January but had no more practice material to use as I had utilized everything from my TPR course. So, I bit the bullet, and purchased a Kaplan online course http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Prep-for-the-MCAT/On-Demand/mcat-on-demand.html . I credit my ability to raise my score by 10 points mostly to Kaplan's practice material. The online course comes with so much practice (subject tests, tropical tests, section tests, chapter quizzes, 11 FL tests) that after pretty much practicing with all this material, I felt more than ready to retake the MCAT. Kaplan also sent me their books, which I absolutely hated and made me glad I still had my TPR books. I believe the reason why Kaplan has such a bad rep. on SDN is their terrible books and instructors.

Some finals thoughts:
-In the end, I did ended up spending a ton of money towards MCAT but the 10 point increase made it all well worth it.
-TBR Physics and G-Chem books are great for those who don't remember much from their pre-med course work and need to learn from scratch. I would not recommend TBR Biology or O-Chem books to anyone as they are filled with unnecessarily details, especially the two biology books. The practice passages at the end of each chapter in these books are golden.
-EK books are good for content review only for those who remember a lot of the material from their pre-med classes and just need something concise to refresh their memory. EK 1001 books are only OK. They are most definitely not enough practice to do well. They are good to use while you are doing content review, but the Kaplan subject tests and tropical test were much better.
-TPR hyperlearning books provided me with a happy median between the too-detailed TBR books and the too-concise EK books for content review.
-If you are doing practice passages and taking FL exams without post-phrasing, you are wasting your time and valuable practice material
-I consider myself someone of average intelligence and if I can increase my score by 10 points, I genuinely believe anyone can. :)
-I know a 32 isn't the best score according to SDN standards, but I know many of you out there are in a similar position that I was once in.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

This post is so, so helpful and so inspirational. As a retaker, I can vouch for all of what you wrote. Way to ball. Thank you so much.