How can I improve my performance on UWorld?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aleson alice

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on how to study better. I've done 30% of UWORLD , but I'm not doing better.. So, how can I get better if every question is about something new, except for topics like ethics and statistics?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So the most important thing to improving is to do practice problems, review the stuff you didn't know, and repeat that cycle. Period. I took 10 Full length practice exams, put all the questions I missed into an excel spreadsheet, and then made sure I learned those topics. Don't get concerned about "high yield' or "low yield", just learn the stuff you don't know. People think that's nuts, but I got a 520+.

If you're doing this process for more than like 1 month, you're gonna forget stuff. So, when you learn a new fact because of a question you missed, put it in Anki. If you don't know what Anki is, get on youtube and look up a guide. Do all your reviews every day no matter what.

Some things for the MCAT are more mathematical, which doesn't work as well for anki. So just make sure you do plenty of practice problems and keep an equation sheet that you write off every day/week or so.

Good luck :) feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:
I think the key to improving Uworld is to thoroughly review the problems you are missing. Like @HollowKnight said, putting missed problems into anki can be a great way to review/learn material. It takes time, but filling in the holes in your content knowledge is the first step. I think the second piece of the puzzle is to learn the way of thinking required for the MCAT. Look at the questions you are missing. Is there a certain type of question you keep missing? Are you not understand the figures? Is it a problem with comprehending the passage, or are you lacking necessary background knowledge? Think about these things and target your future studying based on how you answer these questions. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for advice on how to study better. I've done 30% of UWORLD , but I'm not doing better.. So, how can I get better if every question is about something new, except for topics like ethics and statistics?
I've come across some really helpful advice in the previous post about UWorld.
My friend and I are using UWorld.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the most important thing to improving is to do practice problems, review the stuff you didn't know, and repeat that cycle. Period. I took 10 Full length practice exams, put all the questions I missed into an excel spreadsheet, and then made sure I learned those topics. Don't get concerned about "high yield' or "low yield", just learn the stuff you don't know. People think that's nuts, but I got a 520+.

If you're doing this process for more than like 1 month, you're gonna forget stuff. So, when you learn a new fact because of a question you missed, put it in Anki. If you don't know what Anki is, get on youtube and look up a guide. Do all your reviews every day no matter what.

Some things for the MCAT are more mathematical, which doesn't work as well for anki. So just make sure you do plenty of practice problems and keep an equation sheet that you write off every day/week or so.

Good luck :) feel free to ask questions.
It's exactly this. Practice what you miss. Not only content but also interpreting graphs, improving strategies, etc. I did really poorly on UWorld sciencs in 2022 when I first took the MCAT. I did not practice what I got wrong and did not use it to enhance my content review (silly me). That being said, my poor score did NOT translate to a poor (sciences) score on the MCAT which was 129/123/128/129. This was actually really close to the only FL I took which was (129/124/130/130).

Although your UWorld score might be on the lower side, as long as you are using it to identify weaknesses in your content and practicing how to improve these sections, you are on your way! Take a FL exam to see where you are at.