How important are extracurriculars actually?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSalha17

UWSOD c/o 2017 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am curious as to actually how important extracurriculars are in the application process?

I have loads of extracurriculars from many different types of work/volunteer experiences. This includes working as a student intern for the President of our University, 20-25hrs/week jobs during the school year, research at the dental school, studied abroad and taught classes while studying abroad, and I am currently teaching English to homeless spanish men at a local church. I also have over 200 hours in dental clinics.

I am really wondering how much this will matter with my mediocre grades. I have a 3.5 overall with a 3.3 science gpa. DAT TS/AA/PAT is 18/19/22, which again show weakness in my sciences.

I'm not trying to have this be another, "what are my chances post," I am confident that I will eventualllllllllyyyyyyyy get into school, I just feel as though my extracurriculars are unique and am wondering how much they will play a role in my application/interviews (if given the opportunity to interview). Also how do you incorporate these unique experiences into a personal statement essay? For example, working for the president of the university has nothing to do with dentistry, yet it has been one of the coolest things I have done. What is the proper way to incorporate this into an essay and tie it to dentistry?

Sorry I realize these are loaads of questions, just been thinking about this lately. Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So I am curious as to actually how important extracurriculars are in the application process?

I have loads of extracurriculars from many different types of work/volunteer experiences. This includes working as a student intern for the President of our University, 20-25hrs/week jobs during the school year, research at the dental school, studied abroad and taught classes while studying abroad, and I am currently teaching English to homeless spanish men at a local church. I also have over 200 hours in dental clinics.

I am really wondering how much this will matter with my mediocre grades. I have a 3.5 overall with a 3.3 science gpa. DAT TS/AA/PAT is 18/19/22, which again show weakness in my sciences.

I'm not trying to have this be another, "what are my chances post," I am confident that I will eventualllllllllyyyyyyyy get into school, I just feel as though my extracurriculars are unique and am wondering how much they will play a role in my application/interviews (if given the opportunity to interview). Also how do you incorporate these unique experiences into a personal statement essay? For example, working for the president of the university has nothing to do with dentistry, yet it has been one of the coolest things I have done. What is the proper way to incorporate this into an essay and tie it to dentistry?

Sorry I realize these are loaads of questions, just been thinking about this lately. Thanks in advance!

your sGPA is really low, that might be more of an issue and its further backed up by your low TS score. if you dont get in after you apply, you might want to do a Masters degree to bump up that sGPA. Also a DAT retake is not totally out of the question either. I know a guy with a few interviews with a 18 TS, but thats really low and should be avoided.

It depends on the school. If it's a school with lower stats then no, most of them are more interested in raising their averages. But for more prestigious schools that are more selective due to a ton of high stat applicants, they will look at ECs. In fact at my last interview, the faculty interviewer said they are seeking well-rounded candidates who will get involved outside the classroom and not just keep to themselves. Apparently one's ECs are the best indicator.

However, the GPA/DAT need to be strong before they will consider ECs.

I don't think your sGPA is too low. I would retake the DAT and get those sciences higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I know the sciences are low, I just work constantly and had to work during my DAT studying also. Do they take that into consideration as well? I support my school, all expenses, and living situation.

well... last time I checked, 3.5 GPA and 19AA are classical averages for matriculation. So you HAVE a good chance to get in (from first try).

The thing that will make (or break) your application at this point is # of schools your applying to.... 15-20 = odds very good.... 5-10 = not so

Another thing... do you have a very low section in the sciences? Like a 15 in bio?... if your sciences are lopsided, you'll probably need to retake

I think you would have the best chances by retaking your DAT. Your GPA should be fine since you had so many ECs. At my interview earlier this week my interviewer (who was also on the admissions committee) commended me for having lots of ECs saying that it really showed that I didn't spend all my time locked in my room studying and instead spent time doing things that I liked and were passionate about. So judging by her comments it shows that sympathize with how workload and ECs will have an effect on your gpa. just retake your DAT to show that you still understood all the material you were taught in school regardless of your grades. :)

your sGPA is really low, that might be more of an issue and its further backed up by your low TS score. if you dont get in after you apply, you might want to do a Masters degree to bump up that sGPA. Also a DAT retake is not totally out of the question either. I know a guy with a few interviews with a 18 TS, but thats really low and should be avoided.

3.3 sGPA is not that low. I think OP has a decent chance.

Actually a 3.3 sGPA is really not that low and neither is a 18 TS. They may be 1 point away from being average, but by no means are they crazy low. Especially coupled with a 3.5 oGPA, 19 AA, and sweet ECs.

OP, if you applied smart (15+ schools, including private) and applied early, i would be willing to bet my left testicle that you are going to get into dental school this year. It seems that some of the previous posters have also contracted SDNitis... you only need average stats to get in...i have had several friends in the past couple years land several interviews and get in with 3.4 oGPA and 18 AA. It is still early in the cycle and there are many interviews and acceptances to go around post dec.

Actually a 3.3 sGPA is really not that low and neither is a 18 TS. They may be 1 point away from being average, but by no means are they crazy low. Especially coupled with a 3.5 oGPA, 19 AA, and sweet ECs.

OP, if you applied smart (15+ schools, including private) and applied early, i would be willing to bet my left testicle that you are going to get into dental school this year. It seems that some of the previous posters have also contracted SDNitis... you only need average stats to get in...i have had several friends in the past couple years land several interviews and get in with 3.4 oGPA and 18 AA. It is still early in the cycle and there are many interviews and acceptances to go around post dec.

hahahaha I love it, well nothing too low on my Sciences, 20 Bio, 18 Gchem 17ochem.. ran out of time and sped through the end of it. I am definitely going to apply early and see where it takes me. How much money am I going to be looking at applying to 10-15 schools? Anyone have a rough estimate? ALSO, I do have a 17 in reading comp, kinda freaked out during the exam. Is that going to effect me very negatively? 21 QR

hahahaha I love it, well nothing too low on my Sciences, 20 Bio, 18 Gchem 17ochem.. ran out of time and sped through the end of it. I am definitely going to apply early and see where it takes me. How much money am I going to be looking at applying to 10-15 schools? Anyone have a rough estimate? ALSO, I do have a 17 in reading comp, kinda freaked out during the exam. Is that going to effect me very negatively? 21 QR

15 Schools + secondary fees will run you close to 1800ish

Try $2500+. I applied to 16 schools and my total cost was $2600.

Wow.... So how does one get that kind of money. Like I was saying above I support myself in all aspects and I definitely don't have an extra 2g's lying around. Is a loan the only option?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.... So how does one get that kind of money. Like I was saying above I support myself in all aspects and I definitely don't have an extra 2g's lying around. Is a loan the only option?

Parents, banks, credit card, whatever you got to do!

the bio is pretty good (nothing to brag about but good) meanwhile the RC is very low. Yes you can get in, but with a 3.3 sGPA; only half the predents of 2011 cycle got into a d-school (assuming you're not a minority.) and yes predents is not the final say or the best way to make a scientific report, but its a decent enough estimate.

ps I did not say you shouldnt apply, but I would say you should try to get in next cycle and if it doesnt work out, a Masters GPA might be better served than a DAT retake. (if you happen to get rejected.)

Like i said half of the predents with a 3.3 sGPA got admitted into at least 1 school last year. again the total #s maybe much higher or lower, but all in all you at least have a 50% shot, which isnt too bad.

either way best of luck!

I think more and more schools are paying more attention and learning that numbers dont necessarily make good dentists. Extracurriculars were by far the strongest suit on my application and in interviews its all I've been talking about it. And I have gotten those interviews in spite of slightly below ovr and sci gpas. Alot more than I was expecting, at least.

I think more and more schools are paying more attention and learning that numbers dont necessarily make good dentists. Extracurriculars were by far the strongest suit on my application and in interviews its all I've been talking about it. And I have gotten those interviews in spite of slightly below ovr and sci gpas. Alot more than I was expecting, at least.

define slightly? if you have above a 3.5 you're in good shape and are up there with avgs. yes EC's matter, but nothing replaces a good GPA and DAT score.

If you are borderline, maybe it helps. but its not a strategy to use all the time. its easier to do better in classes than try to make it by ECs. Most schools except (ASDOH) would still prefer a 3.6 20 or 21AA applicant with less EC's than a 3.3 19 or 20AA applicant with slightly higher amount of ECs.

You kinda sound like you're making excuses... "I ran out of time" "I had to work during my DAT study"... I don't think your ECs will make up for both below average GPAs *and* DAT. They really want students who can handle the sciences. The easiest thing would be to retake your DAT. Otherwise, you might as well kiss $2,000 goodbye.

So you guys really think that it would be a waste of money to apply next cycle? Now here is another few points, I still have a quarter of my science credits to take, so this means that I can still up my science gpa, to around a 3.4 given that I do decent this next year. Also, if I do retake DAT does that mean that I should not apply next cycle or should I retake the DAT right after school ends for summer and still apply next cycle?

Man that is a bummer I really didnt think my numbers were not worth applying. And I respect your post but they arent excuses. It is really hard to work 20+ hours a week while taking a class and studying for DAT.

So you guys really think that it would be a waste of money to apply next cycle? Now here is another few points, I still have a quarter of my science credits to take, so this means that I can still up my science gpa, to around a 3.4 given that I do decent this next year. Also, if I do retake DAT does that mean that I should not apply next cycle or should I retake the DAT right after school ends for summer and still apply next cycle?

Man that is a bummer I really didnt think my numbers were not worth applying. And I respect your post but they arent excuses. It is really hard to work 20+ hours a week while taking a class and studying for DAT.

you can apply and you still have a shot. If you apply June 1st, you will probably score a few interviews. but the sGPA and TS scores might hurt you a bit. 20+ schools should yield at least a few interviews and at least 1 acceptance.

Nothing is impossible! If you apply right you are a bit behind in the cycle and it'll be a waste of money. If I were you I would take a year off to strengthen your stats and do something more interesting with your time. You can't advertise "unique" extracurriculars when you just did tutoring and research and work.

Nothing is impossible! If you apply right you are a bit behind in the cycle and it'll be a waste of money. If I were you I would take a year off to strengthen your stats and do something more interesting with your time. You can't advertise "unique" extracurriculars when you just did tutoring and research and work.

Working as an intern for the president of the University of Washington? Creating lesson plans and teaching English classes in Spain while studying abroad, and continuing to teach here in the states to keep up with my Spanish and help the community? Co-leader of an international outreach group who travels to panama to help under served communities while using my spanish language skills to translate?

I respect what you have to say but at the same time I'm pretty sure those would qualify as pretty unique experiences.

I think that the underlying issue here is that I have too high of expectations. I don't want to just get one acceptance and be forced to go to that school. I want a few options so I am happy with the school i CHOOSE. With my numbers I won't have the ability to do that, so obviously I must accept what I have, or increase my numbers.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate the input much more than you all know! :clap:

Working as an intern for the president of the University of Washington? Creating lesson plans and teaching English classes in Spain while studying abroad, and continuing to teach here in the states to keep up with my Spanish and help the community? Co-leader of an international outreach group who travels to panama to help under served communities while using my spanish language skills to translate?

I respect what you have to say but at the same time I'm pretty sure those would qualify as pretty unique experiences.

I think that the underlying issue here is that I have too high of expectations. I don't want to just get one acceptance and be forced to go to that school. I want a few options so I am happy with the school i CHOOSE. With my numbers I won't have the ability to do that, so obviously I must accept what I have, or increase my numbers.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate the input much more than you all know! :clap:

apply june 1 and expect at least 1 acceptance! it can happen. if not then worry about what to do later! :thumbup:

You are embellishing your extracurriculars. I mean what did you do as an intern for the Pres. of UW? Make photocopies? What's so interesting about teaching English (with no formal English training or teaching certification) to a bunch of FOBs in Spain? How's that any different than the thousands of joe schmoes who can't find a job after college so they go to Asia to teach English? Creating some lesson plans isn't that impressive.

IMHO, the int'l outreach group is the only one that's unique and interesting, however, how many trips have you made to Panama... one per year? So while others are doing ECs that involve 200-400 hrs per year, the Panama thing is what like 40 hrs? It would be better if it involved dental outreach work in Panama.

These types of extracurricular embellishments on an app are a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
I would say... to each, his own.

Every applicant has his/her own experiences and extracurricular activities. I don't necessarily think that just because everybody does the same thing, that they experience and interpret situations the same way. Something mundane to someone, may not be mundane to someone else. We all come from different backgrounds so that's not really possible.

I'd like to think of extracurricular activities as something to talk about with another person conversationally, something that you were involved in, and hopefully something that you were passionate about. Maybe I'm wrong because I don't know how admissions see it, but I assume they just want to see examples of you displaying certain traits during the interview, and if you have examples and good lessons that you learned from the experience, you should be able to do well. The example could probably be about anything, as long as it depicts your character well and what you want to demonstrate to the admissions committee.

You are embellishing your extracurriculars. I mean what did you do as an intern for the Pres. of UW? Make photocopies? What's so interesting about teaching English (with no formal English training or teaching certification) to a bunch of FOBs in Spain? How's that any different than the thousands of joe schmoes who can't find a job after college so they go to Asia to teach English? Creating some lesson plans isn't that impressive.

IMHO, the int'l outreach group is the only one that's unique and interesting, however, how many trips have you made to Panama... one per year? So while others are doing ECs that involve 200-400 hrs per year, the Panama thing is what like 40 hrs? It would be better if it involved dental outreach work in Panama.

These types of extracurricular embellishments on an app are a dime a dozen.

I really don't really want this to turn into a back and forth thing but it is obviously more than "making photocopies." Last night for example I was over at his house for a dinner greeting and talking to donors that have donated $1,000,000+ dollars to UW. I attend most all of his private/public events as a helping hand and a "student presence" as he likes to show that he is involved with the student body. I understand how you would THINK it is embellishing but it really isn't. In fact I'm going to his house again tonight for a dinner.

Yes we do only travel to Panama once a year, but during the year we are doing other things that show our commitment to stay involved with the school and dental community. We are constantly involved in community outreach around our area. For example, this weekend a few people from the group are going with a dentist to a local non-profit facility to spend time giving free care to war veterans with dental needs. We also hold pre-dental workshops on campus for pre-dental students to gain more information about the field of dentistry. We have dentist from the dental school come speak, workshops, dental students answering questions, etc.

So...... I'm sure there are many people that embellish their EC's but I really do feel like I have unique EC's, and that I can express that if given an interview.

Anywayysss,
I hope that clears up some of the misconceptions you may have had :)

I would say... to each, his own.

Every applicant has his/her own experiences and extracurricular activities. I don't necessarily think that just because everybody does the same thing, that they experience and interpret situations the same way. Something mundane to someone, may not be mundane to someone else. We all come from different backgrounds so that's not really possible.

I'd like to think of extracurricular activities as something to talk about with another person conversationally, something that you were involved in, and hopefully something that you were passionate about. Maybe I'm wrong because I don't know how admissions see it, but I assume they just want to see examples of you displaying certain traits during the interview, and if you have examples and good lessons that you learned from the experience, you should be able to do well. The example could probably be about anything, as long as it depicts your character well and what you want to demonstrate to the admissions committee.

:thumbup:

I really don't really want this to turn into a back and forth thing but it is obviously more than "making photocopies." Last night for example I was over at his house for a dinner greeting and talking to donors that have donated $1,000,000+ dollars to UW. I attend most all of his private/public events as a helping hand and a "student presence" as he likes to show that he is involved with the student body. I understand how you would THINK it is embellishing but it really isn't. In fact I'm going to his house again tonight for a dinner.

It sounds like you're his puppet and a dinner buddy lol. Okay....

Take pride in the extracurriculars that you truly enjoyed and put effort into. Who cares if they haven't got a hella wow factor or are traditionally appealing (ie. research, dental volunteering). I've done stuff that I truly enjoyed (giving presentations for the pre-dental club, organising monthly student concerts for amateur musicians, building bikes) and stuff that I didn't like quite that much (residence representation and was part of the organising committee for a sustainable energy fair), and I assure you the stuff I enjoyed lasted way longer than the stuff I didn't, and I've got a lot more to say about it. I put everything on my application, but there's no questioning which things I'd rather talk about.

If it appeals to YOU, then chances are, when you speak about it, it'll be interesting. You could've done objectively amazing things in far off places with exotic people and wild ideas, but if you didn't enjoy it or take true interest in it, it'll melt people's faces off with how boring you speak about it.

And that's why extracurriculars are important, so adcoms can see that you have passion and drive, regardless of what they may be for.

Take pride in the extracurriculars that you truly enjoyed and put effort into. Who cares if they haven't got a hella wow factor or are traditionally appealing (ie. research, dental volunteering). I've done stuff that I truly enjoyed (giving presentations for the pre-dental club, organising monthly student concerts for amateur musicians, building bikes) and stuff that I didn't like quite that much (residence representation and was part of the organising committee for a sustainable energy fair), and I assure you the stuff I enjoyed lasted way longer than the stuff I didn't, and I've got a lot more to say about it. I put everything on my application, but there's no questioning which things I'd rather talk about.

If it appeals to YOU, then chances are, when you speak about it, it'll be interesting. You could've done objectively amazing things in far off places with exotic people and wild ideas, but if you didn't enjoy it or take true interest in it, it'll melt people's faces off with how boring you speak about it.

And that's why extracurriculars are important, so adcoms can see that you have passion and drive, regardless of what they may be for.

Makes complete sense, thanks for the input :thumbup: