How important is away rotations for FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dial1010usa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried searching for this but not much luck.
3rd year doing my last rotation next month as an elective for 3rd year.
Complex1: 51x
Complex2: Taking end of July.
Rotations: 4P and 2HP, no H.
Pass all classes, avg student with A's and B's.
Research: co-author, published and presented.
No red flag except I was on LOA for one month because of some family issues and that's why making up my last rotation in June.
Applied for away rotations thru VSAS, haven't heard anything yet.
Are away important if I want to get in CA residency even though I know it's very competitive?
How many programs should I apply for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have gathered, away rotations are important for specific places. If you want to match at a specific place or region, and are confident you won't make a fool of yourself, an away will be very useful. If you are trying to just match FM wherever you should be ok without one.

From what I have gathered, away rotations are important for specific places. If you want to match at a specific place or region, and are confident you won't make a fool of yourself, an away will be very useful. If you are trying to just match FM wherever you should be ok without one.
Thank you! Just trying to match FM. How many places I should apply? I would like to stay in CA/NV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in CA currently? If so, just being there for training will help immensely with matching at a state-wide program. If just those 2 states, apply to as many as you can. As for aways, I truly have never heard of someone doing an away for FM so it may be viewed as over-eager or over-kill. It's a tough call.

I’m doing 4 away rotations for fm, but I’m trying to match in states that can be hard to match if you don’t have direct ties. Based off of interview invites, I think it’s working well for me, but I won’t be able to give you an honest answer until March 18th so… Good luck though!

It is not necessary to do an away rotation. You seem to have a relatively strong application with no red flags and based on the information you provided I don't think you'll have issues matching into FM. Away rotations are not necessary to match. They can help especially if you are interested in a specific hospital/location. However, there is also risks involved. It can be challenging to stand out as a medical student and any small errors may reflect poorly on you. Basically, if you don't think you can be on your "A" game for a full 4 week rotation, it may not be worth doing. Many even argue that away rotations are "high risk, high benefit," although, I believe the risks outweigh the benefits for most students. I would also take it one step further and highly recommend it to any IMG students applying (US clinical experience is crucial).
One thing to note is that away rotations are becoming more difficult to obtain due to COVID. However, Program directors know and understand that. So ultimately, I don't believe it will hurt you to not do an away rotation. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.
- Annette R, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors