how important is course load for optometry schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonia_blade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am wondering how important a full course load is when applying to optometry school. I pretty much have all biology classes and a few chem left for my bachelor's in biology. My advisor tells me that taking four upper division bio classes in one semester is suicide, so he suggested I get a business minor as well. Rather than taking 4 bio classes, I would take 3 bio classes plus a business class. My question is: what if I decided not to pursue the business minor and just took 3 bio classes per semester (which would be anywhere from 9-11 credits depending on which classes I take). I am wondering if that would look bad to optometry school when I apply. I would rather focus on my biology classes and not take additional business classes that could prolong my time at UNLV. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure how your school works but I never took more then 2 bio classes at a time and that was still rough

Didn't seem to effect anything though since I was successful in getting in at least

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I am wondering how important a full course load is when applying to optometry school. I pretty much have all biology classes and a few chem left for my bachelor's in biology. My advisor tells me that taking four upper division bio classes in one semester is suicide, so he suggested I get a business minor as well. Rather than taking 4 bio classes, I would take 3 bio classes plus a business class. My question is: what if I decided not to pursue the business minor and just took 3 bio classes per semester (which would be anywhere from 9-11 credits depending on which classes I take). I am wondering if that would look bad to optometry school when I apply. I would rather focus on my biology classes and not take additional business classes that could prolong my time at UNLV. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Just like eyerye said, I only took two max in order to get the grades I wanted. Three or more classes was intense and would affect my performance. But i was on the quarter system. Semesters might be different if that's the case for you.

I don't think it's a big deal. In any case you can explain why you chose to take fewer classes per semester.