How important is leadership experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MK9595

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm stressing it out over this as I don't have any real leadership experience yet. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go seeking out leadership experience for the sake of 'leadership experience'. If you've worked out hard at a certain club or society and you feel passionate about it to apply for the position. The key thing is you actually do something productive for that club and you have passion regarding what you did so you can speak about it. Remember, you don't need leadership experience if you have it great, if not then just be passionate about the clubs and EC's you participated in.

Reactions: 1 user
It various by school. Some may not make a big deal out of it but some other schools such as Buffalo really emphasized leadership

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm stressing it out over this as I don't have any real leadership experience yet. Help?
They asked about leadership experience in 2 out of 3 interviews. I gave them few examples of leadership and said that I consider what I did for community service as leadership as well because it definitely influenced other ppls lives.

Reactions: 1 users
Really, it's not that important.

I wasn't asked about leadership experience at any of my interviews. I honestly don't think I had much leadership experience in undergrad.

if you have leadership experience, that would be a big topic during interviews and become a highlight (personal experience)
however, you don't need it. like the others mentioned, I think you have to do something you really enjoy and are passionate about.
maybe a club you are a part of does a volunteer opportunity and they need a co-chair to help organize that could be great if you can't do a full commitment for a year
if you don't have leadership on your application they probably won't really ask about it in an interview. I don't think it's a deal breaker at all

Reactions: 1 users
Don't go seeking out leadership experience for the sake of 'leadership experience'. If you've worked out hard at a certain club or society and you feel passionate about it to apply for the position. The key thing is you actually do something productive for that club and you have passion regarding what you did so you can speak about it. Remember, you don't need leadership experience if you have it great, if not then just be passionate about the clubs and EC's you participated in.
Yeah I now understand I was doing myself more harm than good by seeking out leadership experiences with no real passion for it. I'm providing oral hygiene education to families part of the WIC program and I believe I can passionately talk about that. Maybe that could count as some sort of leadership?

if you have leadership experience, that would be a big topic during interviews and become a highlight (personal experience)
however, you don't need it. like the others mentioned, I think you have to do something you really enjoy and are passionate about.
maybe a club you are a part of does a volunteer opportunity and they need a co-chair to help organize that could be great if you can't do a full commitment for a year
if you don't have leadership on your application they probably won't really ask about it in an interview. I don't think it's a deal breaker at all
Do you think providing oral hygiene education counts as leadership experience? I help brainstorm ideas, organize activities and provide education.

Do you think providing oral hygiene education counts as leadership experience? I help brainstorm ideas, organize activities and provide education.
definitely!! on the application you will be able to briefly summarize what you did during each of your extracurriculars, volunteering, etc. so just mention that you "lead" public presentations about oral hygiene

definitely!! on the application you will be able to briefly summarize what you did during each of your extracurriculars, volunteering, etc. so just mention that you "lead" public presentations about oral hygiene
Got it. Thanks!

Not having leadership isn't a big deal if the rest of your application is in order. Just consider that the more well rounded you are the better you look.

Held no leadership positions, really unimportant.

Yeah I now understand I was doing myself more harm than good by seeking out leadership experiences with no real passion for it. I'm providing oral hygiene education to families part of the WIC program and I believe I can passionately talk about that. Maybe that could count as some sort of leadership?

Of course, it does! Think back to all of that, really come up with a story and make sure you can talk about it. That's all there is to it, don't over think it.

Of course, it does! Think back to all of that, really come up with a story and make sure you can talk about it. That's all there is to it, don't over think it.
Thank you so much. I do plan to include this experience in my ps. I'm incredibly appreciative of SDN for allowing me to release my stress and get help lol. I've been overthinking a lot lately.