How Important is School Environment?/Need help choosing school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kunkun18

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between two schools, one in-state and one out-of-state (NAU), and I was wondering how heavily should the school environment/reputation be considered?

I got accepted from the waitlist into the phoenix campus at NAU, and I was planning to tour the facility in June. But the in-state school I accepted saw my acceptance in PTCAS and kind of asked me to make a decision, so I said I would get back to them by next week. Should I just make my decision without visiting NAU or should I ask for an extension to make my decision after I visit?

Also, I'm torn because NAU seems to be a more reputable/higher ranked school so I'm wondering if that's important for finding jobs in the future?
Comparing the two programs, the have similar courses, first-time pass rates, and graduation rates, but:

NAU is an accelerated program which means I could graduate early (2.5 yrs vs 3 yrs)
However, NAU only has 28 weeks of clinical rotations vs 36 weeks for my in-state program

I didn't factor in cost because I'm lucky enough that my family is willing to help pay for my tuition so I won't have any official loans.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to decide between two schools, one in-state and one out-of-state (NAU), and I was wondering how heavily should the school environment/reputation be considered?

I got accepted from the waitlist into the phoenix campus at NAU, and I was planning to tour the facility in June. But the in-state school I accepted saw my acceptance in PTCAS and kind of asked me to make a decision, so I said I would get back to them by next week. Should I just make my decision without visiting NAU or should I ask for an extension to make my decision after I visit?

Also, I'm torn because NAU seems to be a more reputable/higher ranked school so I'm wondering if that's important for finding jobs in the future?
Comparing the two programs, the have similar courses, first-time pass rates, and graduation rates, but:

NAU is an accelerated program which means I could graduate early (2.5 yrs vs 3 yrs)
However, NAU only has 28 weeks of clinical rotations vs 36 weeks for my in-state program

I didn't factor in cost because I'm lucky enough that my family is willing to help pay for my tuition so I won't have any official loans.
You should factor in cost, show some regard for family

Reactions: 1 user
You should factor in cost, show some regard for family
Hello! I should clarify that my family told me not to make cost my deciding factor which is why I didn't include it in the post because I know people in the forum generally advise with going for the cheaper school. Also, I am still considering cost in my overall decision and will be paying them back for the portion they are providing (since it's not a government loan, I don't have to pay interest and my family doesn't expect me to pay it back immediately which is why it's a lower factor, but not something I'm completely disregarding:)).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've paid your deposit, you've paid for the spot. They can whine about it all they want, but you legitimately put down your deposit and now that spot is yours until you decide it's not. Do whatever you need to do, and just politely let them know what's going on.

how heavily should the school environment/reputation be considered?
Minimal or not at all. Maybe only if it is located in the ghetto. "Environment" is more or less the same in all schools after you start the program. As for "reputation," I have never heard anyone saying this or that school is horrible and we would never hire its graduates. So again, doesn't matter.

Should I just make my decision without visiting NAU or should I ask for an extension to make my decision after I visit?
Make decision without visiting. Visits and campus tours are useless in my opinion. They are presented by students who are promoting the school, so all tours will be nice. Some will be better managed than others which still does not tell you anything about the experiences you will have there. The rest is your perception of the presentation (which may or may not be accurate). 2 weeks into the program, you will be busy enough to forget about all those "environment" issues.

No, not important. Employers will ask for your license # - that's it.

Courses will be similar in all PT schools - that's how they get accredited, by meeting the standards. Accelerated program means more units and courseworks per semester. So think about your ability to manage courseload and whether or not you want to have less free time. If you are a fast thinker and learn everything quickly, accelerated program can be a good fit for you. If you need time to absorb information, accelerated program may not be a good fit for you. (unless acceleration is due to shorter breaks between semesters and/or shorter clinicals time). Since finances are not an issue for you, I would play it safe and pick a longer program for your own sanity.

However, NAU only has 28 weeks of clinical rotations vs 36 weeks for my in-state program.
I believe 28 weeks is enough. You may feel like you keep working for free extra 8 weeks. If the rest is equal, I would pick the program with 28 weeks of clinicals.