How important is the information learned during your Pre-requisites when it comes to Pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnTheGrind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a freshman in college currently taking Calculus and General Chemistry plus some english courses. Although my Chem professor is kind of all over the place, His exams are easy so I am told, but I am afraid I won't learn much in his class. I am considering getting a tutor for chemistry just so that I can actually learn the information... So generally my question is... How important are your pre-requisites exactly? Is it a whole new ball game of information when in pharmacy school. Or is it important that I know the information That I will have learned during my pre-requisites. Also are any classes more important than others when it comes to transferring skills into pharmacy school. Im just a little nervous that I am not learning things that I will need to know for pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am a freshman in college currently taking Calculus and General Chemistry plus some english courses. Although my Chem professor is kind of all over the place, His exams are easy so I am told, but I am afraid I won't learn much in his class. I am considering getting a tutor for chemistry just so that I can actually learn the information... So generally my question is... How important are your pre-requisites exactly? Is it a whole new ball game of information when in pharmacy school. Or is it important that I know the information That I will have learned during my pre-requisites. Also are any classes more important than others when it comes to transferring skills into pharmacy school. Im just a little nervous that I am not learning things that I will need to know for pharmacy school.
Wow, i think you got at least like 5/6 questions going on here. First off, try to ace those pre-requisites. You will learn a whole set of new materials in pharm school. Whatever you learn in undergrad, try to understand the concepts. When it comes to pharm school, its all abt how fast can you absorb the info rather than sitting there and analyze the G out of the problem, you won't have time. Hope it helps!!!

As far as pre-reqs, I would worry more about how they prepare you to take the PCAT if you have to take it. During your P1 year of pharm school, you are basically given all the important pre-req type classes again so you'll be fine. Make sure to do well on them (doesn't have to be perfect) and do well on the pcat.

Late to this, but gen chem plays a role in OChem, so for that reason it is important to have a grasp on the information. I took my last gen chem classes in 2006, I am taking ochem fundamentals right now because of the time gap and I wish I would have brushed up on some gen chem for when we did acid/base rxn, ect. Cme back to me fairly quickly but I think I could have done better on my 1st exam had I had more fresh gen chem knowledge. Now I am doing well and understand what we are learning/studying (nomenclature and intermolecular forces). You also need the information for the PCAT, I looked through some sample gen chem questions and I can't remember most of it which is pathetic, but I have done 4 years of psychology courses (currently finishing my masters) so my brain is kinda mush.