How is the first SVIN meeting at Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Park

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody who went there please gives some information?

Park

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was great. Several good lectures - my particular favorites dealt with cerebral aneurysms. Very inspiring to meet Drs. Bose and Qureshi.

I enjoyed Boston quite a bit, too. Beautiful city.

The lectures were terrific and so was the food. The field seems very promising and offers tremendous advances in the field of stroke and vascular neurology. However, from what I got from the meeting was that this field is still very difficult to get from the Neurology path and the practicing neurologists in the field made clear at the lecture that they have to constantly battle to get priveledges at hospitals to do the interventional procedures. Also the malpractice costs for the interventional neurologist is 3 times more than it is for the radiology or neurosurgery trained interventionalists who do the same procedures. Training is very long and from what I heard from the residents at the meeting who went through the neurology path said the training was very grueling and even when you finish and start a practice you basically do not have a life as the procedures that you perform are always in demand at all hours of day and night. In addition it is very difficult to be able to find a large enough practice of interventionalists as they are very few and therefore it is very difficult to divide up the labor and make life a bit easier as is done in large interventional cardiology groups. I think this field needs another 10 years or so to grow especially from the Neurology stand point because as mentioned earlier, hospitals prefer to have neurosurgeons or radiologists doing these procedures. If you want to be the neurology trained interventionalist and basically take on the role of a pioneer or leader from the neurology side and try to take the interventional procedures for neurology, then that will be admirable, but it will be a very difficult and uphill battle.

So it is a very competitive field but full of opportunites. How many residents you have met during the meeting? From now on, I think the number will increase every year and so does the postitons in the job market. Why is it difficult to get into the fellowship through Neurology? There are quite a few Neurology Programs out there so residents could apply to Neurology Department rather than Radiology Department which is not always friend to Neurology residents. As more and more Neurolgoy Departments open their fellowship Programs, is it going to be less competitive for the Neurologists in the future?
In 10 years, Neurology might win the battle, like Interventional Cadiologists take their field from Radiology. I am counting on that, since I am really interested in doing this.
When is the next meeting? I am planing to attend.

Park