How is the MCAT exam setting like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :) I know the MCAT is entirely computerized, but are you allowed to have scratch paper to work out problems? What about for the verbal section? Is there a highlighting/underlining feature on the computer? Does this mean I have to start getting used to reading and working problems on the computer rather than on hard copy books/papers?

Members don't see this ad.

you get scratch paper and you can highlight on the computer. you should definitely get used to reading and working out probs on the computer

Reactions: 1 user
Take the practice AAMC exams. The format of those is pretty much exactly like what you'll see on test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few non-standard things. My scroll wheel didn't work. I think that may be standard. So get used to actually using the mouse pointer with the side bar.

Everything everyone already said is spot on.

Like claduva94 said, I'd recommend getting used to using the mouse pointer with the side bar. It seems like a small thing but you want as few curveballs as possible on test day. I'd also recommend taking all of your practice tests on a computer at the time you'll be taking the actual exam in similar clothes to those you'll be wearing on test day. You want to simulate the exam conditions as closely as possible. You could even go to a library to get used to having people type/click around you instead of taking the exam in silence at home. Good luck!

Everything everyone already said is spot on.

Like claduva94 said, I'd recommend getting used to using the mouse pointer with the side bar. It seems like a small thing but you want as few curveballs as possible on test day. I'd also recommend taking all of your practice tests on a computer at the time you'll be taking the actual exam in similar clothes to those you'll be wearing on test day. You want to simulate the exam conditions as closely as possible. You could even go to a library to get used to having people type/click around you instead of taking the exam in silence at home. Good luck!

Could you have ear plugs in? Just curious.

Could you have ear plugs in? Just curious.

I took it twice, 2 years apart, in 2 different states and both testing centers provided earplugs for those of us who wanted them, plus there were noise canceling headphones, so I'm pretty sure that is standard.

-

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Keep in mind your break between sections is only 10 minutes; and you will use at least 1 minute on the front end signing out and fingerprinting, and another 1-2 minutes reentering. So keep track of your break time; it goes fast and if there is a line to reenter the room at break time, it can take more time.

Watch this video for more info. I watched it the night before the exam and it was extremely useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Another thing that I found slightly annoying/unexpected was this: you start your test as soon as they walk you to your computer. I was the second person to enter the room and as I was going through the PS section, the door kept opening as more people came in. I, somewhat naively, expected it to be similar to SAT/ACT where everyone starts together.

Also, my testing center did not provide earplugs. I had to bring my own. I found them to be very helpful and preferred them over the headphones they provide. The headphones they provide were too big and uncomfortable for me.

Also also, the AAMC Practice Tests had a search function for Verbal which I found incredibly useful. My actual test did NOT have a search function. :(
Isn't that unfair if all testers don't start at the same time? Do they begin the time when the door opens or when the last person is seated? How can you ensure that you are the first in line?

Isn't that unfair if all testers don't start at the same time? Do they begin the time when the door opens or when the last person is seated? How can you ensure that you are the first in line?

Each person's exam is timed separately on their own computer. Your time starts when you start your exam.

Time is kept on your individual screen. It doesn't matter when you start.

Edit: oops, look like someone beat me to it!

Another thing that I found slightly annoying/unexpected was this: you start your test as soon as they walk you to your computer. I was the second person to enter the room and as I was going through the PS section, the door kept opening as more people came in. I, somewhat naively, expected it to be similar to SAT/ACT where everyone starts together.

Also, my testing center did not provide earplugs. I had to bring my own. I found them to be very helpful and preferred them over the headphones they provide. The headphones they provide were too big and uncomfortable for me.

Also also, the AAMC Practice Tests had a search function for Verbal which I found incredibly useful. My actual test did NOT have a search function. :(
They really allow us to use our own headphones/earplugs? Wouldn't that leave room for possible cheating? Would they not be suspicious?

My testing center did not provide earplugs, but did have headphones (they were really uncomfortable). I brought my own earplugs both times.

This is from another thread. Not sure who wrote it or what thread but it's not mine:

So, for those who are unfamiliar with Prometric, here is a typical procedure:
1. You arrive at the testing center.
2. You wait in line to get a Computer Number and locker key.
3. You obtain said Number and key. Take your driver's license/form of ID out of your wallet and PLACE IT IN YOUR POCKET.
4. Place your snack, water, keys, wallet, etc. in the locker. Lock it.
5. At this point, you should have only your locker key and ID on yourself. You will not need anything else.
6. You wait in line as the Testing center staff will begin to sign people into the system. They will scan your license onto their computer and take a picture before the test for their system.
7. They will scan you with a handheld detector for metal, etc. (think airport security)
8. They will also take fingerprints of your index finger, both right and left hand.
9. At some point here, you will receive a scratch work booklet and a good number of pencils.
10. You are ready. They send you in, you sit down at your computer and the test starts. At this point, it is identical to an AAMC test, including format on the PC.
11. Once you're done with a section, you will take your number card with you and exit the room. Once outside, they will flip a binder with registrant names inside to yours truly and you will "sign out" - that is, sign your signature and time you signed out. This is your break time between sections.
12. At this point, you can go to your locker and snack, relax a bit, drink, etc.
13. Keep track of your time. The next part is what threw me off the first time as I did not anticipate it.
14. To re-enter the room, you will have to once again sign in in the registrant binder, as well as the time.
15. They will sweep you again with the detector.
16. You will need to place your fingerprint on their detector - once it matches, you're good to head back in.
17. Rinse and repeat to the next section, and so forth.
18. Once the BS section is done, you will have the opportunity to void your exam or not. There is a five-minute timer to decide.
19. Upon deciding if you want to void or not, you will have to fill out a survey by the AAMC concerning the testing center, quality and whatnot.
20. When the survey is finished, you can leave the room. Take all your scratch paper and pencils and stuff with you. They will print out an officially marked letter from the AAMC confirming that you will follow confidentiality policies, and you get to take this with you as a reminder.
21. Congratulations, you have just finished the MCAT! attachFull184508

This might not be terribly useful for most, but I'm someone who, when studying, wants to get most, if not every small detail down so I'm not surprised or thrown off-kilter.

If I missed anything here, please let me know! I know it's difficult to really get a sense for the rhythm of the actual center, but hopefully this can provide some measure of insight.

My goodness. I just relived my whole testing experience while reading this. Now i'm nauseous.