How late is too late for DO cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRatFink

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m scheduled to take MCAT 9/9, but I’m barely breaking 500 on my practice FLs. I know a January MCAT is late, but would it be too late to take MCAT in January and still have my application considered for this DO cycle? Considering just voiding this upcoming MCAT. I know one decent score is better than redeeming a bad score.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm in the same situation as you. Testing 9/10 and barely breaking 500. According to Goro, taking it in Jan would mean competing for a waitlist position. Better to take a year off if you plan on rescheduling

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I'm in the same situation as you. Testing 9/10 and barely breaking 500. According to Goro, taking it in Jan would mean competing for a waitlist position. Better to take a year off if you plan on rescheduling
Considering the waitlist movement for most DO schools I just may take those chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply next year. Don't apply in January.

So I’m scheduled to take MCAT 9/9, but I’m barely breaking 500 on my practice FLs. I know a January MCAT is late, but would it be too late to take MCAT in January and still have my application considered for this DO cycle?
Yes, that will be too late

Considering just voiding this upcoming MCAT. I know one decent score is better than redeeming a bad score.
The problem with this is the risk that you will be lulled into thinking that you did better than you actually did, and won't void the exam when you should have.

Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Do not take a high stakes, career deciding exam until you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping this app cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with gyngyn. Like herpes, a MCAT score is forever. I'd take a gap year to study more.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with gyngyn. Like herpes, a MCAT score is forever. I'd take a gap year to study more.
Nice analogy!

To add,
It's more like HIV before retroviral drugs. Not only is it forever, but it can also be fatal (kills your career)