How Lenient Are Schools About Substituting LOR requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostnever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, if a school requires a non-science faculty letter, are some open to accepting a non-science, (but non-academic) letter if asked?

For the upcoming cycle, I have a variety of science professor, lab PI, and MD letters, along with one non-academic letter, (from my previous boss of 3 years), but zero non-science faculty letters. I'm far removed from classes now, so I'm not sure what I could do about fulfilling a non-science faculty LOR requirement.

I plan on contacting the schools I apply to next year with this type of requirement and explaining my situation, but I'd like to know now if anyone has had success with this.

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied in 2012, I had the same issue with Vermont. I wrote them an email explaining my situation and they let it slide, allowing me to use another science LOR instead.

Reactions: 1 user
There was one school this year that I didn't have the right letters for. Called the admissions office, they said I needed the right letters. Applied anyways and wrote a brief explanation. Ended up getting accepted. Take it for what it's worth.