How long does it takes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happylord2003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is "happylord2003", i really want to be a Radiologists, i will working on my Associetes Degree in Biology next semester, my questions are:

1-How long does it takes from the day i put my feet in college to the day i gain my MS degree in Radiological Science? (What about Phd?)

2-Is any Difference in salary between somebody with an MS and somebody with an Phd?

3-What kind of field do you recommend me to work on college?
I mean with this is, that with an Associetes in Biology i cant work nowhere. How i can make the money to pay my school?

Please somebody help me, this is so complicated for me :(

Members don't see this ad.

happylord2003 said:
Please somebody help me, this is so complicated for me :(

Hey, you don't sound too happy there happylord.

happylord2003 said:
Hi my name is "happylord2003", i really want to be a Radiologists, i will working on my Associetes Degree in Biology next semester, my questions are:

1-How long does it takes from the day i put my feet in college to the day i gain my MS degree in Radiological Science? (What about Phd?)

2-Is any Difference in salary between somebody with an MS and somebody with an Phd?

I mean with this is, that with an Associetes in Biology i cant work nowhere. How i can make the money to pay my school?

In the surgery forum you asked the same question just replacing "radiologists" with cardiothoracic surgeon:

happylord2003 said:
"Hi my name is "happylord2003", i really want to be a Cardiovascular Surgeon, i will working on my Associetes Degree in Biology next semester, my questions are:

1-How long does it takes from the day i put my feet in college to the day i gain my MS or MD(dont know wich) degree in Cardiovascular Studies?
(What about Phd?)

2-Is any Difference in salary between somebody with an MS/MD and somebody with an Phd?

Please somebody help me, this is so complicated for me"

I'll answer both questions for you here. In order to be a radiologist or a surgeon, you need to go to medical school. After medical school you can choose to do a residency in surgery or radiology. Thus the proper sequence would be a bachelors then an MD.

College 4 years + Medical school 4 years + 5 years radiology = 13 years.

College 4 years + Medical school 4 years + 7 years ct surgery = 15 years.

You have a long road ahead of you and good luck in your studies.

Some of your questions about financing school can be better addressed in the pre-Med forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is Medical School?, i hear everybody talk about medical school, right now im seeing a "University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Degree Program Sheet" and i can see a different kind of program

1-Dental (Doctor of Dental Surgery, ect)

2-Graduate School of Biomedical Science(Is a lot of Nice programs here
including Doctor of Philosofy or Master of Science, Radiological Science)

3-Medical(Doctor of Medicine MD/PhD) Wich i think is the one everybody talk, Wich i think is the Medical School.

4-Nursing

5-School of Allied Health Science.

Thats mean a have to do
4 years College,
4 years medical school (option number 3, Im Correct?), and then
5 years Radiological Science (Wich is the residency, Im Correct?).

Also i have to pay all the loan i going to take when im in residency?

Thanks
I have a 1 year daughter and one of my goals is to be a Doctor of Radiology before she have 15 years old, so i can make a nice 15 years party to her.

happylord2003 said:
What is Medical School?, i hear everybody talk about medical school, right now im seeing a "University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Degree Program Sheet" and i can see a different kind of program

1-Dental (Doctor of Dental Surgery, ect)

2-Graduate School of Biomedical Science(Is a lot of Nice programs here
including Doctor of Philosofy or Master of Science, Radiological Science)

3-Medical(Doctor of Medicine MD/PhD) Wich i think is the one everybody talk, Wich i think is the Medical School.

4-Nursing

5-School of Allied Health Science.

Thats mean a have to do
4 years College,
4 years medical school (option number 3, Im Correct?), and then
5 years Radiological Science (Wich is the residency, Im Correct?).

Also i have to pay all the loan i going to take when im in residency?

Thanks
I have a 1 year daughter and one of my goals is to be a Doctor of Radiology before she have 15 years old, so i can make a nice 15 years party to her.

Happylord, what is your native language and country of origin if I may ask?

Yes, you are right that medical school would be option #3 except that the PhD portion is not necessary to be a doctor. Some doctors have a PhD as well but most have only the MD.

If you do plan to apply to medical school, I advise not telling them you want to be a radiologist so you can give a party to your daughter. They will not be amused.

Also, these days it's quite difficult to enter radiology residency because it is one of the more competitive specialties. So even if you finish college and medical school, there is no guarantee that you will be able to become a radiologist.

What about radiology interests you?

im from Puerto Rico,and im going to take ENGL 0301 Basic English and Grammar next semester. Im just Starting. About my daughter party is just one of my goals but is not the only one and i dont going to talk about this in school, i just feel more free to talk in this forum.

thanks for your help.

If you are not interested in becoming a doctor, you could become a Radiological Technologist in a few years. The work would probably pay much less and be much more hands on with patients but there would be plenty of work available.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos105.htm