How many away rotations can you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may be school specific, but how many rotations can be done in a city and hospital away from one's home medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this may be school specific, but how many rotations can be done in a city and hospital away from one's home medical school?

VERY school specific. At my school we have 2 months of vacation and 7 month of electives that can be used for anything. So, if you did only 2 week away rotations, and used your vacation for work, you could do a maximum of 14 differet away rotations. That would be excessive, though. There are also some core classes (EM, outpatient surgery, and radiology) that you're allowed to do at another site if they approve.

I'm not really sure....we have a 4 week rotation at a rural, underserved area so that counts as one "away" rotation I guess. We also have 16 weeks of electives...so maybe those can be away?

Not that I'm really complaining I'd rather stay in one place for all of my rotations.

Last edited: