How many hours of shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNotOf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours of shadowing is considered a lot? What's the minimal number an applicant should have completed?

Members don't see this ad.

InNotOf said:
How many hours of shadowing is considered a lot? What's the minimal number an applicant should have completed?

You don't include hours on an application, but rather the fact that you did it. Thus, hours are irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't actually done any shadowing. I'm going to try and do a day or so before interviews, but I'm not really that concerned.

i did about 70 of mixed volunteering/shadowing in the ER

i also shadowed an ortho doc for a day, but i didnt mention that

though i sometimes feel thats not enough

bretticus said:
I haven't actually done any shadowing. I'm going to try and do a day or so before interviews, but I'm not really that concerned.

you dont include hours?
isnt there a big difference between the amount of exposure you get in 8 hrs versus 80?

lizt said:
you dont include hours?
isnt there a big difference between the amount of exposure you get in 8 hrs versus 80?

Yes it is, but there isn't an area to include total hours on the application. (There is an area to include average hours, but I didn't take this area seriously on my application, but it is often difficult to estimate such a value.)

OSUdoc08 said:
Yes it is, but there isn't an area to include hours on the application.
You could just put it in the description.

InNotOf said:

1,000,000 hours! Oh, sorry. 100,000,000,000 hours!

OSUdoc08 said:
Yes it is, but there isn't an area to include hours on the application.

Don't you have to put hours/week on AMCAS?
I did ~100hrs of shadowing.

Absolutely there's a place to put the hours per week for each activity. I believe it is a required field in fact. 1 hour a week for 2 months certainly isn't going to impress anyone.

For example, if you work full time you can clearly list "Bartending- 40 hours per week." The same goes for shadowing.

If you haven't done an application, or don't remember, don't give the wrong advice.

RokChalkJayhawk said:
Absolutely there's a place to put the hours per week for each activity. I believe it is a required field in fact. 1 hour a week for 2 months certainly isn't going to impress anyone.

For example, if you work full time you can clearly list "Bartending- 40 hours per week." The same goes for shadowing.

If you haven't done an application, or don't remember, don't give the wrong advice.

:thumbup:

durfen said:
Don't you have to put hours/week on AMCAS?
I did ~100hrs of shadowing.

There is no way to verify this, and if you did 8 hours of shadowing 5 times, but it was spread out over 6 months, your average would approximate zero hours. On hours/week I included the MAXIMUM hours in a week.

shadowing an ortho surgeon in a couple weeks he's awesome! says he will set up a rotation for me!!! also he says he's "cc'ing" his assistant or something. can someone tell me what cc'ing is?

bretticus said:
I would be a little concerned if I was you. How do you know you want to be a doctor if you haven't seen what they do?

About including hours, if you have a significant amount of time shadowing, I wouldn't be afraid to say it. (Ex: 100+ hours- go ahead and brag a little!). However, if you've only had 16 hours, I would only say that you've had experience shadowing.

Robizzle's sig said:
A common SDN occurance that I have witnessed:
Figure out what part of this statement is not required to deliver the intended message.

"Don't worry kid, you will have plenty of time to get clinical experience! For instance I have a 3.9 and 42 MCAT and did not get clinical experience until my sophomore year!"

:laugh:

Okay, your original question...were you emailing? Maybe he is talking about sending the conversation to his assistant so they know what's going on when you show up?

Wackie said:
:laugh:

Okay, your original question...were you emailing? Maybe he is talking about sending the conversation to his assistant so they know what's going on when you show up?

oooooo im so damn silly yes cc is carbon copy haha. i thought he was sayin he was helpin his assistant also so i could follow along to shadow or something =). thanks for that clear up!!

RokChalkJayhawk said:

The hours per week is not a required field, since it's difficult/inappropriate to put for items like publications and awards. However, I agree that you should try to put as much info as possible about how much shadowing you did.

jstuds_66 said:
I would be a little concerned if I was you. How do you know you want to be a doctor if you haven't seen what they do?
It's not like I don't have clinical experience, just not shadowing per se. I've talked to doctors about med school - one is even my neighbor. And like I said, I'm going to try and do it to check of the list in case anyone asks in an interview. I know a surgical-oncologist who said he'd be thrilled for me to come by, I just have to get a day off work.