How many medical schools accepted you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applied 18
Interview Offers: 9
Interviews Attended: 4
Acceptances: 2
waitlists: 2

Members don't see this ad :)
applied: 19
offered interview: 7
attended interview: 6
accepted: 3 (2 waitlists, one rejection)

Applied: 14
Interviewed: 6
Accepted: 5
Wait listed: 1 (hopefully that will change!)

I applied to 6 in state schools, received 2 interview offers, and was accepted at only one school. Just goes to show grades aren't everything. I had a 3.98 cGPA, a 3.99 sGPA, and a 37T on my MCAT. I worked for a year in the hospital and for four years as a math tutor. I am lucky to have gotten mercy from my alma mater in terms of acceptance haha.

Applied- 34
Interview Invites - 14
Interviews - 13
Acceptances - 1
Rejections - 3
Waitlists - use your math skills

I'm gonna break this down into MD/DO

-MD-
Applied: 12
Interviewed: 3
Accepted: 1

-DO-
Applied: 7
Interviewed: 4
Accepted: 3

I am fortunate that the one MD acceptance is my top choice :)

I applied to 6 in state schools, received 2 interview offers, and was accepted at only one school. Just goes to show grades aren't everything. I had a 3.98 cGPA, a 3.99 sGPA, and a 37T on my MCAT. I worked for a year in the hospital and for four years as a math tutor. I am lucky to have gotten mercy from my alma mater in terms of acceptance haha.
:scared: wow! your stats are high. Why only 1 acceptance? You mean you applied only in your state?

:scared: wow! your stats are high. Why only 1 acceptance? You mean you applied only in your state?

Pro, were you a TX or CA resident?

I know someone who had similarly great stats (albeit from a post-bac, and a 35 MCAT) and that person only applied to in-state schools (CA), and it hurt...

Members don't see this ad :)
12 applications
6 interviews
4 acceptances, 2 waitlists

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Now that we have two pages of everyone getting accepted, let's have 10 pages of normal people getting rejected everywhere they applied.

I saw somewhere on this forum that there were 42,000 applicants and 18,000 seats. That's a 48% chance of getting accepted, it doesn't sound terrible to an outsider.

Outside of bad grades and low MCAT, what are the other criteria for rejection?

Someone should come up with a list of how to get REJECTED by every med school you apply to (save the obvious).

Outside of bad grades and low MCAT, what are the other criteria for rejection?

Someone should come up with a list of how to get REJECTED by every med school you apply to (save the obvious).

Outside of scores?
The list:

A.) Poor ECs- little to no activities outside of studying
B.) Little to no clinical experience
C.) Bad LORs- this can be subtle, like "applicant prefers to work alone"
D.) Poorly written PS- using a lot of cliches such as starting with "I've wanted to be a doctor since I was in the womb", a lot of grammar/spelling mistakes
E.) Making a mistake in the secondary app- having to resubmit
F.) Any sort of IA
G.) Being ORM with average scores- 30 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, etc
H.) Coming from CA with average scores and being ORM= the unlucky trifecta
I.) Applying to an OOS that heavily prefers IS students
J.) Applying late- submitting AMCAS in August
K.) Not turning over secondaries quickly enough - waiting more than one month after receiving to submit
L.) Dressing badly at the interview - girls wearing too much makeup, too short of a skirt, choosing a cardigan over a dress jacket, guys not wearing a tie, scuffed- up shoes, weird- color suits
M.) Answering any questions poorly at an interview
N.) Not asking questions at the end of the interview
O.) Being rude to secretaries/janitors/interviewerss at the interview
P.) Arriving late to the interview
Q.) Applying to schools with a research emphasis without having substantial research experience
R.) Applying to schools with a volunteer emphasis without having substantial non-medical volunteering experience
S.) Coming off as awkward/shy at the interview

I could a day-gone thesis dissertation on the topic.

Anything I've missed?

Reactions: 1 user
Outside of scores?
The list:

A.) Poor ECs- little to no activities outside of studying
B.) Little to no clinical experience
C.) Bad LORs- this can be subtle, like "applicant prefers to work alone"
D.) Poorly written PS- using a lot of cliches such as starting with "I've wanted to be a doctor since I was in the womb", a lot of grammar/spelling mistakes
E.) Making a mistake in the secondary app- having to resubmit
F.) Any sort of IA
G.) Being ORM with average scores- 30 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, etc
H.) Coming from CA with average scores and being ORM= the unlucky trifecta
I.) Applying to an OOS that heavily prefers IS students
J.) Applying late- submitting AMCAS in August
K.) Not turning over secondaries quickly enough - waiting more than one month after receiving to submit
L.) Dressing badly at the interview - girls wearing too much makeup, too short of a skirt, choosing a cardigan over a dress jacket, guys not wearing a tie, scuffed- up shoes, weird- color suits
M.) Answering any questions poorly at an interview
N.) Not asking questions at the end of the interview
O.) Being rude to secretaries/janitors/interviewerss at the interview
P.) Arriving late to the interview
Q.) Applying to schools with a research emphasis without having substantial research experience
R.) Applying to schools with a volunteer emphasis without having substantial non-medical volunteering experience
S.) Coming off as awkward/shy at the interview

I could a day-gone thesis dissertation on the topic.

Anything I've missed?

You didn't cover the whole alphabet, so there must be more! :laugh:

5 Apps
2 Interviews
1 Acceptance (first interview, rolling admissions, at first choice so withdrew other apps)

8 Apps - all IS
6 Interviews
5 Acceptances (1 withdraw prior to decision)

Pro, were you a TX or CA resident?

I know someone who had similarly great stats (albeit from a post-bac, and a 35 MCAT) and that person only applied to in-state schools (CA), and it hurt...

Nope, I'm from Florida. My degree is in Biochemistry, so it was a decently tough degree at any rate. I applied in state mainly for affordability along with the fact that my wife also wanted to go to medical school (now it's PA school) and we figured the best shot was in-state.

To be honest, I am not sure why I didn't get any more interview offers. I come from an economically disadvantaged family (single mom making < $22,000 a year with a family of four), so I have held a job since I was 14 (I'm 22 now). I mainly worked 20-30 hours a week during the entirety of my undergrad tenure, which honestly isn't too much, but the only decent paying job I could find here was tutoring online, which was a bigger time investment than the actual number of hours I could work. What I mean is, to get an hour session with a kid, it might take me about 2 hours to actually find that session. So spending 4 hours a night actually working could take anywhere from 6-8 hours, so I was constantly holed up in my room waiting for kids to help. Pretty much sucked. I did the math on getting an hourly job at some local place, but I would have to work full time to make what I was doing half time online, so it pretty much balanced out I guess - at least that's how I saw it.

Edit: Eventually I got a job at the hospital, which paid more than tutoring but had the sacrifice of having hours during school, so I missed class almost my entire senior year. Oops.

For my home institution, I was in the first interview group along with a bunch of kids from Ivy League schools that had done all sort of crazy things like being a national drum champion or playing D1 sports, so I felt pretty small comparatively haha. I got accepted right thereafter and then that was it. I've heard stories that some schools in Florida will exclude you if your MCAT score is -above- a certain number, as they deem you applying there only as a safety school, but I do not know the truth behind this.

Last edited:
I applied to about 20, I had 11 or 12 interview offers. I went to 7 interviews, and had 4 acceptances.

1) How many medical schools did you apply to?
-17ish
2) How many offered interviews?
3) How many accepted you?
-2 rejected, 2 waitlist (Notice: MD only, below 30 MCAT.)

Thanks for making this - very useful thread.
Applied: 16
Interview: 9
TBD ...

Lol, threads like this... pretty much the only people who are going to respond are ones that actually got acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied: 1
Interview: 1
Accepted: 1
74 LM score

Applied: 19
Interview invites: 9
Interviews attended: 4 (was accepted fairly early to 1st choice)
Accepted: 2
Lizzy M 75

Applied: 19
Interview invites: 9
Interviews attended: 4 (was accepted fairly early to 1st choice)
Accepted: 2
Lizzy M 75
I take it you simply stopped the process after you were accepted?

Applied 13 (one of which doesn't interview, MSU)
II 10
Interviewed 3
Accepted 3
Rescinded II 7

Only went DO though. 3.8/35.

I take it you simply stopped the process after you were accepted?
Yes, as there was no point in investing additional time, money, and mental energy when I had been accepted at my top choice. I cancelled my remaining interviews and withdrew my application at other schools soon after. As you'll find out, it's a draining process that you don't want to unnecessarily draw out. I'm very glad I was able to relax for the rest of my senior year.