How many more A do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am sort of new to this site and have been reading a lot of great information. Very very informative and useful I must say.

I am 33, about to start premed prerequisite classes at Cal State University of Long Beach this coming fall. As an undergraduate at Wesleyan University, I didn't take single math nor science because it just was not what I was interested in at the time. It was all in the humanities like Film history, lots of art classes, dance, Chinese language and etc... My UG GPA was 3.2

I am planning and hoping to get all A from now on at CSULB and with that plan, how many more classes than the general prerequisite courses should I take to make my application competitive to med schools in California?

Currently, I am planning on finishing 1year of Gen Chem. Phy. Calculus, Bio, Org Chem, Upper level English comp and lit within two years and during the gliding year, take upper level science classes. If I need to take way more, I am willing to wait three years or take more than 12 units per semester.

Thanks, any feedback will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd think the starting point would be to increase your cumulative GPA to above the average for in-state California applicants; this'll depend on your currently completed undergrad hours.

Note that the only courses considered will be those listed on your amcas primary prior to applying; anything taken during "glide year" won't much matter. I'm reading books on economics and medicine and working fulltime during this year; no school will accept a candidate based on what classes they intend to do well on the following year so I'd suggest you focus on being accepted first.

Also need to gain substantial ECs, maybe a few hundred hours with patient contact, LORs if those are not yet available, start planning out an MCAT strategy..sounds like min 1 1/2 years prior to applying.