How many of your pre-med friends actually made it to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a 3hr Facebook browsing session because I can't sleep. I graduated from college in 2011 and looking at some of my old friends and acquaintances FB pages, only a very small percentage actually made it to med school. Most of the girls decided to do nursing, clinical lab science, or PA. A lot of the guys are just doing random things not related to their science degree, work at Wal-Mart, or STILL jobless:(. A lot of them were presidential scholars who went to elite high schools and had top ACT scores. The two kids from my HS graduating class that wanted to be doctors ( who just happened to be Val and Sal), well one is a teacher now and one is working at Walmart and trying to make it as a rapper o_O. Yes the valedictorian of my HS class who graduated with a 4.0 and got full scholarships is trying to be a rapper. I don't get it. I was a good student, nothing great- I definitely wasn't a presidential scholar, but somehow I managed to get a couple of acceptances. I wonder what happens to the kids from college. Do people just lose interest in medicine? See one rejection as a sign of fate? MCAT and GPA can be fixed and you can always reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of my premed friends are still in the process, but the few seniors I know did make it. I feel like most students at my school are all or nothing. Either try their hardest to get into medical school or drop it and change majors all together.

You can't always fix GPA. A lot of my premed acquaintances were weeded out by orgo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
med school ORGOhome

Most of the kids from college were kids who had great grades and I know they had good grades in upper level bio classes.

yah i still dont get it. w/e

Surprisingly the guys with 3.8+ GPAs didn't make it. A handful of people with 3.5-3.7 got in. The people who treated it like a marathon and just kept going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm the only one that actually made it. Then again, I went to a little liberal arts school for my BS, so there were very few of us to begin with.

Out of like the 300 premeds in my intro to bio class, I only know 6 who actually went to medical school -- no even top schools, just places like Drexel, MCW, UConn, etc. About a dozen of my facebook classmates eventually went into nursing or PA school, and several went into research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the ones I actually knew made it to med school or dental school. My best bud finally matriculated this past summer after taking two years off to work and stuff.

Then again, I was an engineer so I didn't know many of the premeds except for the cool ones.

I'd say about 1/4 (not counting the caribbean - know a couple who went there)

Of those 1/4 its about 1/2 MD and DO.

This is from a Cal State.

(In reality its likely lower than that since most of my friends did relatively well in premed classes and they all graduated with over a 3.2 GPA)

Small liberal arts school - I only know one. But there were maybe eight premeds to begin with. The first biggest cutoff was freshman year, in which most people switch to nursing. The second was junior year, where the MCAT destroyed everyone.

It's pretty stressful taking a test when you know a straight-A student ended up with a 22. :(

I always open a new relationship with "What's your GPA?" Anything less than 3.7 I don't waste my time on them. Therefore, all of my pre-med friends got into med school.

Reactions: 17 users
I always open a new relationship with "What's your GPA?" Anything less than 3.7 I don't waste my time on them. Therefore, all of my pre-med friends got into med school.
I require an interview and at least 3 letters of rec from people wanting to be my friend.

Reactions: 9 users
2 of my friends from high school (but not same UG) are current 2nd years in US schools, and another is accepted this cycle. 1 kid I knew from HS, but whom i was not really friends with, is in the Caribbean. 1 friend from UG was accepted this cycle. 1 guy from my UG, a friend of a friend, is heading to Caribbean due to poor GPA & MCAT.

My best friend in college ended up going to a Carribean school.
I personally know 3 people from my year who got into US med schools (1 MD 2 DOs)
Based on facebook statuses, I know one person from HS (but I never spoke to after) who got into an MD school this year.
And maybe another ~5 people out of at least a hundred in my year that I don't know personally and aren't fb friends with but still somehow show up on my facebook feed got in.

Out of my pre-med friends (and we all work in the same hospital) actually everybody made it. For some people it took more one try, though.

2 people I know actually made it. A lot of things changed from freshman to senior year. A few people got volunteering/shadowing/work gigs in a hospital and realized they hated health care. They were honest with themselves and realized were only doing it for the money to begin with.

I have to say, I really like it that most of my friends who went to our state school and gave me tremendous crap for going to a private USNWR top 25 "It doesn't matter dude, State University is gonna teach us the same stuff as your Private School, except it wont cost me half as much - you're an idiot bro" could only make it into DO while I'm sitting here getting that MD. I'm sure there are people from our state university that get into MD, but none of my friends did, and I feel like it's kind of a poetic justice for all of the crap they used to give me for not going to state.

I have to say, I really like it that most of my friends who went to our state school and gave me tremendous crap for going to a private USNWR top 25 "It doesn't matter dude, State University is gonna teach us the same stuff as your Private School, except it wont cost me half as much - you're an idiot bro" could only make it into DO while I'm sitting here getting that MD. I'm sure there are people from our state university that get into MD, but none of my friends did, and I feel like it's kind of a poetic justice for all of the crap they used to give me for not going to state.

The fact that they didn't get in has nothing to do with the fact they went to a state school.

Reactions: 10 users
Nothing to do with that, actually.

Of course, I'm just being facetious. The point was that it was poetic justice, that the people who gave me a hard time about 'ditching them' and not going to the same university as them ended up not getting into MD while I did. No offense to the DO people here, but DO discrimination is just not something I want haunting my career.

Of course, I'm just being facetious. The point was that it was poetic justice, that the people who gave me a hard time about 'ditching them' and not going to the same university as them ended up not getting into MD while I did. No offense to the DO people here, but DO discrimination is just not something I want haunting my career.
Can of worms have been opened! Who shall take the first bite?!

Reactions: 4 users
I just had a 3hr Facebook browsing session because I can't sleep. I graduated from college in 2011 and looking at some of my old friends and acquaintances FB pages, only a very small percentage actually made it to med school. Most of the girls decided to do nursing, clinical lab science, or PA. A lot of the guys are just doing random things not related to their science degree, work at Wal-Mart, or STILL jobless:(. A lot of them were presidential scholars who went to elite high schools and had top ACT scores. The two kids from my HS graduating class that wanted to be doctors ( who just happened to be Val and Sal), well one is a teacher now and one is working at Walmart and trying to make it as a rapper o_O. Yes the valedictorian of my HS class who graduated with a 4.0 and got full scholarships is trying to be a rapper. I don't get it. I was a good student, nothing great- I definitely wasn't a presidential scholar, but somehow I managed to get a couple of acceptances. I wonder what happens to the kids from college. Do people just lose interest in medicine? See one rejection as a sign of fate? MCAT and GPA can be fixed and you can always reapply.
It doesn't matter where you come from. It's all about having heart. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Can of worms have been opened! Who shall take the first bite?!

I would hardly say a can of worms has been opened. DO discrimination exists. I don't agree with it, it's definately unfair, but there is nothing some lowly pre-med can do to overhaul the system - so I did everything I could to get into an MD program. For some people, this may be a non-issue. However, denying that DO discrimination exists is just ignorance.

Case and point: a friend of mine who went to DO school got a 249 on USMLE I, and something comprable for CS/CK. They want to become an ENT, but because they are a DO, 249 is not good enough, but for an MD that's okay. That's kind of....cocked. So DO discrimination exists, and the 'combined match' thing hasn't really proven to counter this given that 1 in 4 DO graduates this year went unmatched.

I would hardly say a can of worms has been opened. DO discrimination exists. I don't agree with it, it's definately unfair, but there is nothing some lowly pre-med can do to overhaul the system - so I did everything I could to get into an MD program. For some people, this may be a non-issue. However, denying that DO discrimination exists is just ignorance.

Case and point: a friend of mine who went to DO school got a 249 on USMLE I, and something comprable for CS/CK. They want to become an ENT, but because they are a DO, 249 is not good enough, but for an MD that's okay. That's kind of....cocked. So DO discrimination exists, and the 'combined match' thing hasn't really proven to counter this given that 1 in 4 DO graduates this year went unmatched.
Sure, but from what you just wrote to your previous post there's an abysmal attitude change. Because on your previous post your buddy "only" made or to DO, suggesting your "superior" y private undergraduate experience as responsible. I say he made it in while many thousands did not. And just guys the record, not all state systems or private are created equal.

Sure, but from what you just wrote to your previous post there's an abysmal attitude change. Because on your previous post your buddy "only" made or to DO, suggesting your "superior" y private undergraduate experience as responsible. I say he made it in while many thousands did not. And just guys the record, not all state systems or private are created equal.

There is a higher standard for admissions in MD than there is for DO. That is where the 'only' came from. Don't try and read in between the lines, because there is nothing there! :laugh:

The combined match hasn't happened yet, I never understood why people talk so confidently when are fuzzy on the details.

Also, ENT is still very difficult as an MD, so not the best example. I know an MD student with a 260+ on step I and II, several publications, 3rd year AOA, good personality, ranked enough programs to cover his a$$, and he only matched surg prelim spot this year. The combined match won't take place for several years either.

As for the can of worms comment, this thread is well on its way to yet another MD v DO thread.

I don't know a single premed who didn't make it to med school. If they applied, they got in. Self-selective sample size, though.

Many (10+) of my friends are in US MD programs now, some at top programs. I think this is one of the many benefits of going to a top tier UG.

I would say over half of them ended up switching to Pharm/Dent/Opto. Very few actually ended up going the distance - the MCAT, etc. just weeded people out along the way. It happens.

I'll also throw in that a good number of people are also taking some time off before applying, so I can't say for sure what the trend will be.

Many (10+) of my friends are in US MD programs now, some at top programs. I think this is one of the many benefits of going to a top tier UG.
This exactly. But again, self-selecting population also factors in.

The fact that they didn't get in has nothing to do with the fact they went to a state school.

figure1.gif

Pretty small group of friends, but I think most of us are safely in.

Case and point: a friend of mine who went to DO school got a 249 on USMLE I, and something comprable for CS/CK. They want to become an ENT, but because they are a DO, 249 is not good enough, but for an MD that's okay. That's kind of....cocked.

That person could become an ENT through the AOA route if they wanted to. That's not even close to the full story.

I require an interview and at least 3 letters of rec from people wanting to be my friend.
People laugh but this is literally how social societies/clubs work... :/

Reactions: 3 users
Zero in my case. I did my science at a CC though and we only had like 10 pre-med. We had a lot of people go to PT school.

I think of 20 premedical students graduating this year at my small liberal arts undergrad about 8 got into medical school. 5 are going to the affiliated DO school. 2 are going to other DO schools and I'm the only one going MD. I think these numbers may be skewed because we have a 4 +4 program, but of the 10 people in the program at the beginning of my freshman year only 4 stuck thru it.

Some friends made it through, some didn't, none of the results bucked the expectations:

Of 4 premed friends (close) from my university days:
1. didn't get in, their MCAT was pretty bad.
2. another didn't get in, stats overall were below avg, doing a post bacc now at UCI. I think she' s applying for DO programs now.
3. another friend, from my research cohort got into Johns Hopkins, they're now a M2.
4. friend got into medschool, then disappeared off the face of the planet.

Some friends made it through, some didn't, none of the results bucked the expectations:

Of 4 premed friends (close) from my university days:
1. didn't get in, their MCAT was pretty bad.
2. another didn't get in, stats overall were below avg, doing a post bacc now at UCI. I think she' s applying for DO programs now.
3. another friend, from my research cohort got into Johns Hopkins, they're now a M2.
4. friend got into medschool, then disappeared off the face of the planet.

Whens the last time they updated FaceBook?

Most people who said they were premed didn't make it, a few of my friends made it in, some people went DO or PA. One guy didn't make it but went to get a master of health administration degree which is probably going to work out better for him in the long run to be honest.

A handful did. But like others have said, the premed courses weeded them out unfortunately. They're still science majors, but they don't know what to do with their lives. It's really sad. Plus some of them are international so it makes this process even tougher for them.