how many semesters of each subject do you need for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobafett1

Reaction score
Hello,

It looks like a reasonably standard set of med school pre-reqs are this:
two semesters general biology with lab
two semesters general chemsitry with lab
two semesters organic chemsitry with lab
two semesters physics with lab

does the MCAT test second-semester bio/chem/org/physics, or do they only test first semester topics? i am trying to size-up the depth of the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT tests second semester of all of those classes, but keep in mind that the test is very broad, but not terribly deep. It is recommended that you take all of those classes because you will understand the material more fully. Also, think about taking a biochemistry class and an anatomy and physiology class. Those were both super high yield for me.

The MCAT tests second semester of all of those classes, but keep in mind that the test is very broad, but not terribly deep. It is recommended that you take all of those classes because you will understand the material more fully. Also, think about taking a biochemistry class and an anatomy and physiology class. Those were both super high yield for me.

Thanks! I think I understand: they test a lot of second semester topics, but not super-tough questions within those semesters. so you need to know the second-semester stuff, but not worry about the toughest questions possible.

Also, thanks for the information on biochemistry, anatomy, and physiology.