How many transitional year programs do most ppl apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm primarily interested in ty programs in desirable areas. I'm a pretty competitive candidate for most programs I think (255+ step, aoa, good letters and evals) and I'm planning to apply to 25 rads programs primarily in CA and the NE with select midwestern programs. I'd thought of applying to about 15 ty programs in CA, NY, and MA. Is that too few? Too many? Ideally I'd like to go to MSKCC but I understand that's very competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

You can never go wrong by applying to more programs. I usually tell people to apply to a ton of prelim/ transitional program because you're competing against these competitive applicants going into derm and anesthesia. It sounds like you are one of the competitive applicants to whom I've been referring. :)

You can always cancel interviews if you "over" apply but it is much harder to send more applications later. The huge issue with needing to apply seperately to internship and residency is the money required in the application process. We have to spend double!

You can never go wrong by applying to more programs. I usually tell people to apply to a ton of prelim/ transitional program because you're competing against these competitive applicants going into derm and anesthesia. It sounds like you are one of the competitive applicants to whom I've been referring. :)

You can always cancel interviews if you "over" apply but it is much harder to send more applications later. The huge issue with needing to apply seperately to internship and residency is the money required in the application process. We have to spend double!

How many is a ton ???

Do you count advanced programs that automatically link you to prelim without you actually submitting ERAS to that prelim? (They are not listed as categorical.)

I'm primarily interested in ty programs in desirable areas. I'm a pretty competitive candidate for most programs I think (255+ step, aoa, good letters and evals) and I'm planning to apply to 25 rads programs primarily in CA and the NE with select midwestern programs. I'd thought of applying to about 15 ty programs in CA, NY, and MA. Is that too few? Too many? Ideally I'd like to go to MSKCC but I understand that's very competitive.

Your stats are very strong. 15 TY's is good enough IMO. I'd throw in a few cushy prelims in there as well. Some are amazing programs and can serve as a good safety net on your rank list.

There's a running list of the cushiest TY's over in the ophtho forum. Search for it. It's awesome.

G'luck!