How many years would it take to pay off dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyShades

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading threads about paying off debts from dental school. I am just curious, how many years would it take to pay it all off? Also, given the amount of years that you pay it off. How much will you be making roughly while you are paying it off? I don't need to live the luxury life, but just want to live a life where I can still pay apartment rent, car rent, and start a family one day. Thanks for input!

Members don't see this ad.

That really depends. People who graduated ten years ago went to school when tuition was cheap and interest rate was lower than their practice or home loans. It is better for these people to hold off on paying off student loans when there are other loans with greatest interest rates to be paid off. Many of them still have student loans. Some people found investments with a greater, long term return than the interest rate on their student loans so that's another reason to withhold paying it all off ASAP. Other people in similar situations can't stomach the idea of holding onto student loans even though there are more profitable investment opportunities that would necessitate not paying off student loans quickly. Depending on what opportunities arise when you graduate and how much debt you have, it may take half a decade or two.