How much can one really hope to raise their mcat score? any stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much can one really hope to raise their mcat score? Meaning, if a person takes the mcat and scores poorly, on the average, how much can they hope to rasie their mcat scores the second time around? Do most only come up a few points? Are there any stories/testimonies out there of people who after they took the mcat the second time had a significant increase in their scores?

Members don't see this ad.

shan1997 said:
How much can one really hope to raise their mcat score? Meaning, if a person takes the mcat and scores poorly, on the average, how much can they hope to rasie their mcat scores the second time around? Do most only come up a few points? Are there any stories/testimonies out there of people who after they took the mcat the second time had a significant increase in their scores?

I don't have any stories, but there is actually a page on the AAMC website with factual data on retakers and score improvements broken down by section. http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/tables.htm

shan1997 said:

I got a 17 on my diagnostic, and then a 32 on AAMC3R. Significant improvements are possible.

shan1997 said:

I raised 5 point over subsequent administrations of the actual test. Most people don't improve much, because most people don't change much. If you radically change your level of effort and prepare right, then you'll probably gain a significant number of points. If you already prepared as well as you can, you probably won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
By subsequent, do you mean April to August of the same year, or August to next April? Five points in a few months is awesome.

NapeSpikes said:
By subsequent, do you mean April to August of the same year, or August to next April? Five points in a few months is awesome.

i dunno, i know a girl who went from a 19 to a 25 and i dont know how shes doing now. i went up six points from april. but who knows. i m a met fan, so im all about :"you gotta believe"

Hi there, I'm a third year medical student now, but the first time I took the MCAT I got a 22...I almost decided not to take the exam again in august. However, about 3 weeks before the exam I decided what the heck and signed up again. I went up to a 27. Now I'm waiting for board scores.....

NapeSpikes said:

I personally had this jump over ten years time and a good part of it was about personal growth, maturity, and how those traits helped my preparation for the test. If you're already mature enough to prep your butt off, you could duplicate the feat, though, I'm sure :laugh:

I took my first exam in April 2004 and made a 17K. I was working full-time and taking a full course load, so I didn't have any time to study but I thought I could somehow pull it off. Well, obviously I couldn't and I decided to take it again in April 2005. This time, I wasn't working and mostly taking elective classes so that I could concentrate on my Kaplan classes. I made a 25M and was ecstatic. An 8 point jump isn't too bad in my opinion. Just goes to show if you really want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen.

hhhmm... it kinda seems most people with the big improvments, improved from a lower score like 25 and under, which makes sense. But did anyone improve lots from lets say... around 28+ to 30s?

thanks for the replies guys, looks like it is possible to make a big jump depending on time and dedication put into it

shan1997 said:
thanks for the replies guys, looks like it is possible to make a big jump depending on time and dedication put into it

I know someone who went from a 26 to a 37. So it is possible.

i don't know anyone personally,but i took it in april 02 scored a 25R.

i'm taking it august, and i'm gunning for high 30's. if i get 37+ i'll donate my august salary to sdn :D that is if i don't booze it away beforehand :p

I took the test in April and scored a 29P, retook the test in August and scored a 35R. When I took the test the first time I had been out of school for 5 years and didn't prepare for the physical sciences like I needed to. After the first test I focused on areas of weakness and took all the practice tests I could. Its possible, I knew I would score better after the first test b/c of my lack of prep.

ctv1116 said:
I got a 17 on my diagnostic, and then a 32 on AAMC3R. Significant improvements are possible.
How much time appart where the tests taken? What did you do different to have such an inprovement. I'm a little discouraged, I took 3R yesterday and got a lovely 18 :eek: Now w/ a month to go, what should I do?

Many thanks for any advise :)

Concentration :) For me I feel like I knew all the science except for the bio, and it just seems like all I needed to do is improve my concentration so I didn't make any stupid mistakes. For bio, I'm doing EK 1001 and just chugging through all the problems, absorbing every fact they offer.

Nekbat said:
hhhmm... it kinda seems most people with the big improvments, improved from a lower score like 25 and under, which makes sense. But did anyone improve lots from lets say... around 28+ to 30s?

I scored 28Q in August 2004 and improved to 32R in April 2k5....taking more practice tests was the key for me.

I made an 8 point jump from April '03 to August '03; from sh*tty to acceptable. As for round #3, ask me in mid October. I didnt bother applying in 2003, had one interview(waitlisted) this year and am planning on re-applying for c/o 2011. Kaplan was great for giving my scores a boost. Unfortunately, I do not have that type of spare time available now. Old books, study guides, tons of practice tests and some thick blinders are going into prepping this time around. To the OP: If you have taken it already and are not happy you can bring up your score as high as you are willing to study and sacrifice. If you havent taken the test as of yet . . . . bust yer butt so you only have to do it once. Hopefully all of you have had an easier time with this than I have. Best of Luck :luck:
cheers

April MCAT: 10BS 8PS 10V

August MCAT: 11BS 13PS 11V