How much debt do you expect to have when you graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much debt do you expect to accumulate?

• 0-$50,000

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • $100,000-$150,000

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • $150,000-$200,000

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • $200,000-$300,000

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • $300,000+

Votes: 65 38.5%

• Total voters

therock21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea of how much debt people are expecting to accumulate over d-school.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a dime, in fact, I hope to make a few bucks. That is, unless I end up taking out a mortgage, then I'll have a fair amount of debt.;)

What!?

300k + here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing everything in my power to reduce debt as much as possible (without post grad commitments)... ~150K is my goal!

I'll be out at around $275k.

don't forget to add the undergrad debt too guys :)

Im pushing 300k+

Reactions: 1 user
You're neglecting the fact that it does cost 4 years of your life. It isn't "free" money!

I honestly don't look at it that way, as I have 6 years prior service and plan to retire from the military, so I see it as a double investment (that's 4 years I want to spend in the military, not a cost). Though that point of view applies better to most, I would still not equate military service obligation to a large sum of financial debt.

Edit: Where's your estimated debt/accumulated debt? Let's keep on topic! ;) I kid I kid.

I honestly don't look at it that way, as I have 6 years prior service and plan to retire from the military, so I see it as a double investment (that's 4 years I want to spend in the military, not a cost). Though that point of view applies better to most, I would still not equate military service obligation to a large sum of financial debt.

Edit: Where's your estimated debt/accumulated debt? Let's keep on topic! ;) I kid I kid.

It is definitely a cost. When looking at it economically, it saves you $250k plus interest to go the army route; however, you'll make substantially less than you would if you were working in a private practice. That is the defintion of a cost: sacrificing one thing for another. The army also doesn't let you choose where you'd like to live, your hours, etc.

The army is great route for those who are debt averse. It just ends up being a question of whether you want to make more money and incur a large debt, or make less money and have no debt. Since you're planning in the army and four years that you want to spend in their service, those benefits outweigh the costs earning more money by working privately.

15k from undergrad & 400k+ by the time I finish from NYU, it's ridiculous how expensive schools are now.

Members don't see this ad :)
15k from undergrad & 400k+ by the time I finish from NYU, it's ridiculous how expensive schools are now.

Already set on NYU? You're still an underclassman correct? Things can change when you actually get around to applying.

It is definitely a cost. When looking at it economically, it saves you $250k plus interest to go the army route; however, you'll make substantially less than you would if you were working in a private practice. That is the defintion of a cost: sacrificing one thing for another. The army also doesn't let you choose where you'd like to live, your hours, etc.

The army is great route for those who are debt averse. It just ends up being a question of whether you want to make more money and incur a large debt, or make less money and have no debt. Since you're planning in the army and four years that you want to spend in their service, those benefits outweigh the costs earning more money by working privately.

I'm not sure why you're quoting me, or even replying to me on the issue, as your analysis has absolutely no bearing on my situation, perhaps you're just being arbitrary. If you were just making a general statement comparing things, then wonderful. Considering I never planned, nor care about private practice, there is no cost for me, I am not sacrificing one thing for another, quoting your definition, though I agree that this would apply to most others utilizing the HPSP.

Also, just for future reference, the Army is not synonymous with the military in the US. Furthermore, it's debatable that you'll make substantially more in private practice if you subtract a high level of debt+interest+practice costs from your income, but I really have no interest in debating this (it's been done extensively already), nor is it on topic for this thread.

Just wanted to get an idea of how much debt people are expecting to accumulate over d-school.

Somewhere around $325,000 +/- Plan to repay at least $50,000 per year and retire the debt in 8 years, at the most. As income rises, so will the amount available to repay the loans. :):):):)

Ah. With those do you have the option to opt out and apply to other schools? I've never looked into them.

With my particular program yes, some other programs may or may not require a binding commitment to attend. I like having the "safety" net of pretty much guaranteed admission provided I keep a 3.5 GPA and score a 20 or higher on the DAT. Although the tuition is ridiculously high I look at the extra year I save as an addition year of income to offset the cost.

It's absurd that Americans have to pay fortunes to afford an education that should be a right, not a privilege...

Reactions: 1 users
With undergraduate and dental, I expect a near 350k of debt....

The question should be:

"how long to you pay off your debt.?"

~20,000 after undergrad (30,000 if you count credit card debt) and 300k+ unless I happen to get the NHSC scholarship.

i'm currently a junior and i don't have any debt i work full time at summer
my biggest fear is to get rejected from any dental school i will applied and got accepted to USC only or any private school in CA
then my debt will be 400,000$+

If I start in the Fall of 2015, I am shooting for 100k of loans. Praise God that I don't have any from undergrad and my Masters degree (saved up some, and parents helped out). But right now I am working full time and saving like crazy, hoping to buy some investment properties soon. 300+ K in dept, really scares me guys.

If I start in the Fall of 2015, I am shooting for 100k of loans. Praise God that I don't have any from undergrad and my Masters degree (saved up some, and parents helped out). But right now I am working full time and saving like crazy, hoping to buy some investment properties soon. 300+ K in dept, really scares me guys.
300k is a nice house in most areas of the country.

I'm hoping for a little less than 200k when it's all said and done.

I've found the AAMC Dental Loan Calculator to be really helpful (https://services.aamc.org/30/first/home). You can use it to estimate the cost of school over several different loan types. I was surprised at how much interest I will have to pay if I do a standard 10-year repayment. I estimated the costs of going to school to be $342,000 for 4 years, then AAMC calculated my interest and shows my final cost to be around $557,000 ($342,000 principle + 215,000 interest). So after I graduate I'll start paying around $4650/month and it will be paid off in 10 years.

I am the OP and someone I know told me this post just got back up so I thought I'd check in.

I'm now a D4 in dental school and I'll finish with roughly $175,000. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Posted using SDN Mobile

You guys undergrad tuition must be very expensive. I mean my state school, between the pell grant, need based scholarships, and other little scholarships, I take out about 1,700 a semester. 4 years that's only about 14k in loans. How are you guys 300k plus in debt?? Even if dental school is 100k..

You guys undergrad tuition must be very expensive. I mean my state school, between the pell grant, need based scholarships, and other little scholarships, I take out about 1,700 a semester. 4 years that's only about 14k in loans. How are you guys 300k plus in debt?? Even if dental school is 100k..
i attend one of the CSU school it's no that expensive. It's more based on the dental school if it's public you might end between 200,000$
but if it was private it will be 400,000 (USC, Loma Lina, Temple, NY...etc)

Please share your info about this 100k dental school. Myself and everyone else on the site are dying to hear about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Please share your info about this 100k dental school. Myself and everyone else on the site are dying to hear about it.
Most public schools are cheap for in state students. Look at Texas schools for example. You will end up with little debt compared to other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most public schools are cheap for in state students. Look at Texas schools for example. You will end up with little debt compared to other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are cheap on a relative scale. Absent scholarships or other financial help you will still graduate with 200k+ debt, even at a Texas school. UNC might be the lone exception.

... Per year. Yep after D1 year I owe 96k. I had zero debt from undergrad.