How much do 3rd year grades matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytoechondria

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm currently an M3 at a mid-tier MD school in the US. I just started my rotations around 2 months ago and I'm honestly extremely terrified about how much an Honors/High Pass/Pass will affect my chances at matching anesthesiology in a year or so when I apply for residency. I've been interested in anesthesia since before med school and I'm pretty confident that this is where I want to go.

Based off preclinical grading, I'm probably ranked somewhere in the middle of my class. I obviously will try to get as many honors as I can during third year, but considering how subjective most of the grading is, will it severely reduce my chances of matching anesthesiology if I don't get mostly honors? Like, will getting 3-4 High Passes instead of honors or even 1-2 "pass" grades kill my chances? I know anesthesia has gotten more competitive recently and that's mainly why I'm so worried. I'd hate to be in the position where I can't end up in the specialty I want after all this time in school. I don't care about matching at a research powerhouse or top program like Stanford/Harvard or something, but ideally a solid mid-tier program in a non-remote part of the country.

The rest of my app is decent at best - I have a few insignificant research activities where I didn't do much but have my name on some papers (I really didn't do too much for them and don't feel like I can confidently speak in depth about them). I'm gonna try to get on another project before the end of third year, but I absolutely hate research lol. I also have 1-2 volunteering opportunities that I've done consistently since M2. I will obviously try to get as high a step 2 score as I can as well.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it matters but if your rest of application is solid, you should get in somewhere. if your grades are lower side, jjust apply to more programs.
as competition increases, everything matters, especially now step 1 are pass fail. stuff like clinical grades are used to get your foot in the door by getting the interview, same as step scores. once you get that interview, they matter much less.

if you think from the programs POV, they dont really know you and they need to decide whether to interview you or not from thousands of applicants. what would you look at and how do you stand out from others? one of the best way to get into a program, or at least get an interview, is to do away rotation at the program of interest, and really show them how good you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Arrive early. Stay late. Work hard. Be visible. Ace the shelf exams.
Try to get honors in 2-3 of the clerkships so you stay middle of the pack or move up slightly.
Middle of the class with average to above average step II score will most likely get you set up for getting a good residency spot.
Try to not have any big slip ups like negative comments on your Dean’s letter or a DUI. Also, try to be physically attractive (kidding…kind of). These are things that will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things have changed greatly since most of us applied, especially now that STEP scores are pass/fail from what I understand...

Things have changed greatly since most of us applied, especially now that STEP scores are pass/fail from what I understand...
Seriously. Anesthesia was as competitive as general surgery and ENT this year. Middle of the pack stats may not cut it anymore.

UPMC:

We are very proud to share our 2023 UPMC Anesthesiology Residency match results! We matched 23 top students (18 categorical, three advanced, one Panther Research Scholar, and one combined anesthesiology/pediatrics resident) from the 2,084 candidates who applied to our program. Our 2023-2024 Match Class has a median USMLE Step 2 score of 258 and includes many Alpha Omega Alpha national medical honor society and Gold Humanism Honor Society members.

Our Residency Program is excited to welcome the Class of 2027 and looks forward to growing alongside them as clinicians and as a specialty over the next four years!

The average USMLE Step 2 match scores by medical specialty 2022​

Table illustrating the average USMLE Step 2 match scores by medidcal specialty in 2022

UPMC:

We are very proud to share our 2023 UPMC Anesthesiology Residency match results! We matched 23 top students (18 categorical, three advanced, one Panther Research Scholar, and one combined anesthesiology/pediatrics resident) from the 2,084 candidates who applied to our program. Our 2023-2024 Match Class has a median USMLE Step 2 score of 258 and includes many Alpha Omega Alpha national medical honor society and Gold Humanism Honor Society members.

Our Residency Program is excited to welcome the Class of 2027 and looks forward to growing alongside them as clinicians and as a specialty over the next four years!
Wow! My Step 2 score was 210's. My how times have changed.