How much do you tip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When your hourly pay is anywhere from $5-$9/hr, you are working for tips. Servers usually get this kind of pay. As a delivery driver, you make maybe around $9/hr without tips. With tips it can range anywhere from $10-$30/hr in my area.

If you look at other posts in this board, Pharmacy may be headed to 30$ per hour job, if you are lucky enough to find it. How does that make you feel??

Members don't see this ad.

Thats sort of ironic to say when your order is worth anywhere from $40 - $100 and the tip is always $1-$3. And also I only said doctors; delivering to a hospital or some small practice. Ive been to rich neighborhoods where they tip extremely well, even for small order but I can't tell if these people are doctors or not so I guess its not all doctors with this possibility.

When your hourly pay is anywhere from $5-$9/hr, you are working for tips. Servers usually get this kind of pay. As a delivery driver, you make maybe around $9/hr without tips. With tips it can range anywhere from $10-$30/hr in my area.

You do realize there are tons of people who make minimum-wage and don’t get tips right?

Reactions: 2 users
I heard in China, they don't tip at all. Funny how different cultures can be.

I ate at a restaurant in Seattle that added mandatory 18% tip to every bill. The $5 drinks really inflated the tip.

I'm pretty sure no other country tips in restaurants

Members don't see this ad :)
You do realize there are tons of people who make minimum-wage and don’t get tips right?
I don't understand what some of you guys are saying. There is a huge difference between $4.95/hr and $15/hr among min wage jobs. Why do you think anyone would take a job at $4.95/hr over the $15/hr one?

...Its not because doctors/pharmacists cannot afford to tip that much... its because you are creating a culture where tipping...
Its not really creating a culture when these things are allowed to happen. No one would take these jobs if no one tipped so you guys wouldn't actually have servers. But if the law made it so that servers actually get paid a decent amount, tipping wouldn't be a thing. Its fine if you don't want to be nice because no one is forcing you to but don't be surprised if you don't get a nice treatment back.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand what some of you guys are saying. There is a huge difference between $4.95/hr and $15/hr among min wage jobs. Why do you think anyone would take a job at $4.95/hr over the $15/hr one?

Its your choice what you want to work for... No one is forcing anyone to work at that much money... If people really want to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, they should work hard and become a pharmacists/doctor... I remember as a tutor I worked for 6.15$ an hour which was worth a little more than a minimum wage, no one forced me to but I had a bachelors degree at that time/ I had skills that other people did not.. Why is tutor worth less than a waiter?? I am not trying to put down a waiter but the thought that any job deserves 15$ per hour is what is different from mine and your line of thinking..

Check out what teachers (adjunct professors at a local community college), most with minimal masters degree, and some with pHD's are making... it will make you thankful for what you are making

Its your choice what you want to work for... No one is forcing anyone to work at that much money...
You really think its that easy for people with these types of jobs to just not work and find a better paying job tomorrow? You are extremely out of touch with reality when it comes to financial struggle which is extremely ironic when it comes to this profession's job market and reduced pay

• Love
You really think its that easy for people with these types of jobs to just not work and find a better paying job tomorrow? You are extremely out of touch with reality when it comes to financial struggle

Again, check out what some teachers with advanced degrees are making in your local community college, it will really make you cringe... Do you really think everyone deserves 15$ an hour... you will be paying 15$ for a cup of coffee...
Why was my 6.15 per hour as a tutor worth less than someone who has probably not even graduated high school? No one gave me tips... Noone felt sorry for me. I did not complain.

Last edited:
Again, check out what some teachers with advanced degrees are making in your local community college, it will really make you cringe... Do you really think everyone deserves 15$ an hour... you will be paying 15$ for a cup of coffee...
I really don't know what you are arguing about at this point. You are literally acting like $5 tip is unacceptable and that all the low wage workers only deserve $1.

I really don't know what you are arguing about at this point. You are literally acting like $5 tip is unacceptable and that all the low wage workers only deserve $1.

I am not arguing, i am just educating...
Again look at what the teachers with advanced degrees get paid, and please try to justify a 15-30$ an hour salary that a waiter deserves. Look I am not trying to be a dirtbag, but I am trying to educate people who think they deserve better in life without having to work for it.. And FYI, I do tip people what they deserve, usually what other people have mentioned here..

... but I am trying to educate people who think they deserve better in life without having to work for it...
What? Im not trying to say we need to increase the pay to $20/hr or something ridiculous. Im just saying getting paid at least $10/hr would be nice if you got monthly bills to pay. But if you honestly believe servers/delivery drivers should only get paid $5/hr, I guess I can't change your mind
Also majority of people already tip and even with that the average yearly income is like $24k, so again I don't understand why you think these people get high pay
You might as well tell them to eat cake

What? Im not trying to say we need to increase the pay to $20/hr or something ridiculous. Im just saying getting paid at least $10/hr would be nice if you got monthly bills to pay. But if you honestly believe servers/delivery drivers should only get paid $5/hr, I guess I can't change your mind
Also majority of people already tip and even with that the average yearly income is like $24k, so again I don't understand why you think these people get high pay
You might as well tell them to eat cake

You should really ask your boss to pay for it and tell him you will quit if they dont get paid that much and you deserve that much.. or find an alternative career that pays that much. If you really think you deserve more, try to become a manager in the restaurant itself because no one feels sorry for anyone. One of your post above itself says that in your area you can make 10-30$ an hour.. Again as a tutor with a bachelors degree i made 6.15 an hour, others around me were also paid around the same wage...

I’d rather people make a living minimum wage than have to rely on tips

Although I usually tip 15-20%, I don't comprehend the idea of tipping. Isn't tipping suppose to be optional based on service? I don't think it's right to leave this responsibility up to the customer.. I wonder how the service would change if they had a system where customers had to give an anonymous grade for the service provided right before the check and a bonus was provided with their checks.

Members don't see this ad :)

Server min wage is something like $2.15/hr. Those jobs aren't like a typical min wage job and they depend on tips.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats sort of ironic to say when your order is worth anywhere from $40 - $100 and the tip is always $1-$3.

A pizza is $15, a couple rolls of sushi are $30. Does the Doordash driver who delivered sushi deserve twice the tip of the Doordash driver who delivered the pizza? Did the sushi delivery driver do twice the amount of work? No, they did the same amount of work. Actually I'd argue the pizza delivery driver did more work because he had to put the pizza in a heat bag to keep it warm.

Let's be realistic though, the biggest tipping scam is pharmacy school tuition, where you're essentially paying a 300+% tip on your tuition with all these ancillary fees, costs, etc. For example, UCSF's "tuition" is only $11,442 but a "professional degree supplemental tuition" tacks on another $29,468 in addition to another $3,914 in "student services fees." Anyone want to explain what all these costs are for besides being arbitrary, non-transparent figures serving only to line the pockets of pharmacy school professors?

Professors don't make much. It's the dean who gets rich, they're like the CEO of the company.

I know someone already mentioned this but I hate the places that ask if we want to leave a tip at the cashier BEFORE we even get our food. Why would they put me on the spot to tip before I even get served?! like wtf..

Server min wage is something like $2.15/hr. Those jobs aren't like a typical min wage job and they depend on tips.
Whose fault is that... why accept a job at all with 2.15/hr?? its not the customers fault that people are stupid enough to work for that.. again no one is responsible for decisions that a person makes.. he/she is there by choice, tell the businesses that they can keep the tips, give me 5.75$ per hour/minimum wage... ask your boss to pay you more if you deserve more.

A pizza is $15, a couple rolls of sushi are $30. Does the Doordash driver who delivered sushi deserve twice the tip of the Doordash driver who delivered the pizza? Did the sushi delivery driver do twice the amount of work? No, they did the same amount of work. Actually I'd argue the pizza delivery driver did more work because he had to put the pizza in a heat bag to keep it warm.

I asked one of the companies to deliver a pizza to me once a few years ago, they had delivery charge on the bill in addition to the tip column..

I know someone already mentioned this but I hate the places that ask if we want to leave a tip at the cashier BEFORE we even get our food. Why would they put me on the spot to tip before I even get served?! like wtf..

Exactly it has become mandatory... not an option.... they will circle the tip column with arrows pointing to it to make sure you direct your attention to it.

Whose fault is that... why accept a job at all with 2.15/hr?? its not the customers fault that people are stupid enough to work for that.. again no one is responsible for decisions that a person makes.. he/she is there by choice, tell the businesses that they can keep the tips, give me 5.75$ per hour/minimum wage... ask your boss to pay you more if you deserve more.

There are only so many jobs to go around, man. People have varying skill sets/abilities, responsibilities, life events, choices, etc that shape their options. The service industry is one of the nation's largest labor pools for non college educated people. It isn't as simple and cut and dry as you try to make it out to be.

Exactly it has become mandatory... not an option.... they will circle the tip column with arrows pointing to it to make sure you direct your attention to it.

Even worse is those ipad screens that they flip over for your signature. They give you the option in huge font to select how much tip to give, I think usually 15, 18 or 20%. Then the little button for no tip LoL. And everyone behind you watches as well so you're pressured to tip big.

There are only so many jobs to go around, man. People have varying skill sets/abilities, responsibilities, life events, choices, etc that shape their options. The service industry is one of the nation's largest labor pools for non college educated people. It isn't as simple and cut and dry as you try to make it out to be.

I understand that everyone works hard, wouldnt it be so nice that everyone would make 100,000$ a year so everyone can afford everything. but thats not how world works. What should the waiter's make??? 15$ an hour???... Like I said earlier, you know how much a tutor makes in a community college, tutoring at a college level course???, there are no tips... Again most of these people have advanced degrees. Who is a lot more educated than waiters.

You dont need to look too far from this post to see how much a pharmacist make, how hard it is to find jobs with a doctorate level work?? Dont tell me that waiters are supposed to make 15-30$ an hour at a pharmacy board at sdn when pharmacists themselves in this board are saying their wages are being cut and having hard time to live paying off their debt.

Even worse is those ipad screens that they flip over for your signature. They give you the option in huge font to select how much tip to give, I think usually 15, 18 or 20%. Then the little button for no tip LoL. And everyone behind you watches as well so you're pressured to tip big.

This is really now mandatory, not an option. The worst is when they ask for tip when its a takeout. How about have pharmacists, doctors, and dentists should have a tip jar in their office, they work hard too.... 15% of their insurance costs for good service..

I tip a minimum of 20% in restaurants. I will not go on a second date with someone if they are a bad tipper. I will not go out to eat with friends if they don’t tip well. I will probably even stop being friends with them. I like to be around kind, considerate people who don’t live in a bubble.

It would be nice if the employer paid their employees enough so they didn’t have to rely on tips, but that’s not the reality we live in.

I tip a minimum of 20% in restaurants. I will not go on a second date with someone if they are a bad tipper. I will not go out to eat with friends if they don’t tip well. I will probably even stop being friends with them. I like to be around kind, considerate people who don’t live in a bubble.

It would be nice if the employer paid their employees enough so they didn’t have to rely on tips, but that’s not the reality we live in.

Do you tip at McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's? They will bring your food out to your table when you dine in.

Do you tip at McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's? They will bring your food out to your table when you dine in.

those ppl work harder than most waiters! Always wish I could tip at chick fil a

Good for you... Why 20%, why not 50-100%, that would mean more. I really hope you own a business, and I become one of your employees so i can get paid a lot more. And please tip people who hold the door, apartments clerk, real estate agent for selling you a property, dentist, pharmacists, doctors, mailman, your banker, your 7-11 clerk also everytime you fill your gas, the cashier at your grocery store too.... Why stop with waiters... everyone needs your kindness.

Last edited:
Good for you... Why 20%, why not 50-100%, that would mean more. I really hope you own a business, and I become one of your employees so i can get paid a lot more. And please tip people who hold the door, apartments, dentist, pharmacists, doctors, mailman, your banker, your 7-11 clerk also everytime you fill your gas, the cashier at your grocery store too.... Why stop with waiters... everyone needs your kindness.
If you read my post, you will see that I said a minimum of 20%. Your arguments are very illogical. I can’t have a meaningful discussion with people who are illogical.

If you read my post, you will see that I said a minimum of 20%. Your arguments are very illogical. I can’t have a meaningful discussion with people who are illogical.

Good I hope you tip everyone in the post above too.. There is no question about logic anywhere in my post. You said you wont go out with someone who does not pay at least 20% tip, Do you pay for your dinner or does someone else????

I understand that everyone works hard, wouldnt it be so nice that everyone would make 100,000$ a year so everyone can afford everything. but thats not how world works. What should the waiter's make??? 15$ an hour???... Like I said earlier, you know how much a tutor makes in a community college, tutoring at a college level course???, there are no tips... Again most of these people have advanced degrees. Who is a lot more educated than waiters.

You dont need to look too far from this post to see how much a pharmacist make, how hard it is to find jobs with a doctorate level work?? Dont tell me that waiters are supposed to make 15-30$ an hour at a pharmacy board at sdn when pharmacists themselves in this board are saying their wages are being cut and having hard time to live paying off their debt.

Are you having fun creating straw men to knock down? All I said was that it isnt as simple as you made it seem to "simply not work those kinds of jobs." Please point out where I stated people in the service industry were all entitled to six figure salaries. You sound erratic. I simply stated most servers make much less than the standard minimum wage, which a lot of people don't know. Because of this, tipping is necessary for them to have any semblance of a basic income.

Last edited:
  • Love
Are you having fun creating straw men to knock down? All I said was that it isnt as simple as you made it seem to "simply not work those kinds of jobs." Please point out where I stated people in the service industry were all entitled to six figure salaries. You sound erratic.
They are very irrational. If they are a healthcare professional, I’m honestly concerned.

Not in CA. Servers get $13/hr minimum.

If they serve 3-4 tables/hr, it's easy to get $30-40/hr during peak time. About +$100-150 cash tips/day.

I hate the idea that someone is expected to tip big just because they make a high salary. Scottie Pippen has a net worth of $20 million and he doesn't tip - no tippin' Pippen.

You may be the best tipper ever.

lol, I don’t knock other peoples’ tipping habits though, tip what makes you comfortable. I long ago got over the fact that people under tip or don’t tip at all.

And this thread got contentious. I tip based on whether a) it’s a social norm, b) based on my individual relationship with that provider, and c) whether it just “makes sense” to me.

Like, I don’t think most people tip their private mailbox provider (because I actually don’t think most people even have one). But mine is a one-person shop who sorts my junk-election mail/shreds catalogs, bundles/stores an inordinate amount of mail when I’m on vacation (beyond what my box fits), and expedites my stuff when she sees me walk in the door even if there’s a line. Tipping her generously at year’s end makes more sense than random jar at take out.

But I do agree with sentiment above and I HATE tipping culture and wish we transitioned to the societal norms of Japan and Europe. I especially hate when some states (luckily not California) take advantage of tips and allow lower-than-minimum wage and expect tips to make up for it — that’s not the point of a tip. The IRS may not agree, but a tip to me is a gift to a person.

There’s a movement in the SF Bay Area to eliminate tips and just wholesale raise prices 20% and staff compensation accordingly. No more song and dance about tips, and everything is up front. There’s been pushback, though. And tips are lucrative enough that some of that pushback has been from servers.

Also, US tipping norms originate from the prohibition era, where tips were socially acceptable ways to help supplement wages of restaurant and hotel employees, whose employers lost a lot of revenue when alcohol sales disappeared. Those norms have not changed much—for those asking randomly why we tip servers and not flight attendants (I tip FAs, for the record).

There’s a movement in the SF Bay Area to eliminate tips and just wholesale raise prices 20% and staff compensation accordingly. No more song and dance about tips, and everything is up front. There’s been pushback, though. And tips are lucrative enough that some of that pushback has been from servers.

Also, US tipping norms originate from the prohibition era, where tips were socially acceptable ways to help supplement wages of restaurant and hotel employees, whose employers lost a lot of revenue when alcohol sales disappeared. Those norms have not changed much—for those asking randomly why we tip servers and not flight attendants (I tip FAs, for the record).

People will tip anyway. What are the servers gonna do if there's extra money on the table, chase people down like in Japan? Not in America, that extra cash will go straight in the server's pocket.

Uber tried this when it first came out, there was no tipping option on the app and customers were not expected to tip. Of course the drivers made an outcry about this, people tipped anyway, and now it's expected to tip.

If restaurant labor costs are already baked in and this is disclosed I wouldn't tip

Per Google:

"Under federal law, employers can take a tip credit by paying tipped workers, such as servers and bartenders, as low as $2.13 an hour if those workers earn at least the standard minimum wage of $7.25 an hour once their tips are added in."

In other words, servers cannot make less than minimum wage. If the tips don't add up to minimum wage the employer has to make up the difference. I don't know why people think that servers make less than minimum wage. They don't. By federal law they have to make at least minimum wage once tips are added in.

Per Google:

"Under federal law, employers can take a tip credit by paying tipped workers, such as servers and bartenders, as low as $2.13 an hour if those workers earn at least the standard minimum wage of $7.25 an hour once their tips are added in."

In other words, servers cannot make less than minimum wage. If the tips don't add up to minimum wage the employer has to make up the difference. I don't know why people think that servers make less than minimum wage. They don't. By federal law they have to make at least minimum wage once tips are added in.

People know this. It's the servers who use this excuse and hope the general public does not know.

Also most states have a higher minimum wage for servers than $2.13/hr

Apparently not b/c people in this thread claim that servers are paid less than minimum wage.

Let me clarify my position, I don’t like the notion that my gift comprises a portion of the minimum wage the server takes home. I don’t feel that it’s my job to do that, I’m not an employer. The employer should be providing whatever the minimum wage is, tip is always extra. Luckily, my state recognizes this.

It’s like relying on grandpa’s Christmas money to pay some kid for their agreed upon allowance.

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently not b/c people in this thread claim that servers are paid less than minimum wage.

Someone said they know a server who makes 90k, which I would say is accurate considering I see many serve 5-8 tables per hour, $10-30 per table cash tip easily.

Per Google:

And employers always follow the law, right? Lol

It’s very naive to think just because something is illegal, employers don’t do it.

I worked as a server a long time ago. We got $2.13 an hour, and made less than minimum wage on most days. That was when minimum wage was like $5.15 an hour, too. Weekends were ok. The boss would enter that we made more tips than we actually made so they wouldn’t have to pay us more. That sucked because we had to pay taxes on income we didn’t even earn!

I spoke up about it when I noticed it, and got let go. By the way, that’s illegal, too. The employer can’t legally retaliate for someone speaking up about wage and labor law violations, but they did, and got away with it. Employers regularly get away with breaking the law, knowing most people don’t have the means to sue. I’ve seen it in healthcare, too.

People will tip anyway. What are the servers gonna do if there's extra money on the table, chase people down like in Japan? Not in America, that extra cash will go straight in the server's pocket.

Uber tried this when it first came out, there was no tipping option on the app and customers were not expected to tip. Of course the drivers made an outcry about this, people tipped anyway, and now it's expected to tip.

Agreed, it’s that ingrained in society...it takes an effort by both the house and staff to discourage extra tipping. One restaurant I frequent makes this clear up front, and when they run my credit cards they physically cross off the gratuity line.

If I surreptitiously leave an extra $20 on the table, I’m not sure if they’d run out to get me:..this place actually might do that, I’ve never tried.

And employers always follow the law, right? Lol

It’s very naive to think just because something is illegal, employers don’t do it.

I worked as a server a long time ago. We got $2.13 an hour, and made less than minimum wage on most days. That was when minimum wage was like $5.15 an hour, too. Weekends were ok. The boss would enter that we made more tips than we actually made so they wouldn’t have to pay us more. That sucked because we had to pay taxes on income we didn’t even earn!

I spoke up about it when I noticed it, and got let go. By the way, that’s illegal, too. The employer can’t legally retaliate for someone speaking up about wage and labor law violations, but they did, and got away with it. Employers regularly get away with breaking the law, knowing most people don’t have the means to sue. I’ve seen it in healthcare, too.

I mean people also get paid under the table for less than minimum wage all the time. I used to have a job like that. So yeah. Good point.

Someone said they know a server who makes 90k, which I would say is accurate considering I see many serve 5-8 tables per hour, $10-30 per table cash tip easily.

Sounds like we have a great backup to pharmacy then! I assume the tables are always full all the time.

• Haha
I mean people also get paid under the table for less than minimum wage all the time. I used to have a job like that. So yeah. Good point.
One girl was a stripper. She quit her stripper job, because she was trying to “do better” and leave that life behind. She didn’t last one week as a server. Lol. She saw we didn’t make minimum wage most days, and the boss was a jerk. She went back to stripping, and tried to take me with her. Lmao. I’m like, I’ll pass.

Sounds like we have a great backup to pharmacy then! I assume the tables are always full all the time.
I can assure you that is not the case. That must have been an outlier. I have never come across a server that makes that much money. It’s not the norm at all, and I’m suspicious if it’s even the case for that person. People can say all sorts of things that aren’t true. Lol.

I would not have gone to pharmacy school if I could make 90k easily as a server. Being a server doesn’t require a crap ton of student loans like pharmacy does. Lol.