How much money do you consider life changing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much money do you consider life changing?

• $25,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50,000

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • $100,000

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • $250,000

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • $500,000

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • $1,000,000

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • $2,000,000+

Votes: 34 41.0%

• Total voters

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's already a few millionaires in this forum but they still work regular jobs like the rest of us.

Personally I would move to Hawaii if I had $1mil and work a chill job. If I had an extra $100k or $250k I would buy an investment property which I would also consider life changing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
100k would comfortably get me out of debt so I would say that's life changing.

1 million wouldn't be quite enough for me to leave pharmacy but I would be planning my exit. I want to move somewhere warm and Hawaii is on the list but it's just so expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Good question. I choose 500,000 just because that would almost get me to FI and I would consider that life-changing. Realistically 250,000 would also feel life changing just due to how much of an impact it would have on that journey. 100,000 would feel like a windfall but probably not “life-changing”. Less than that for me would be a new Tesla, very cool but not life-changing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me at this point I would say 2.5 mil at least considering current inflation..

At least $2m for me. Out of student debt, enough to buy a nice home, and enough to live off dividends. Most of all would give me more spare time to with my wife/kid(s) and hobbies.

Anything lower I would probably have the same day to day routine, so not really -life- changing. Would be nice though.

I want to move somewhere warm and Hawaii is on the list but it's just so expensive.

Its not that bad if you plan it right tbh, Hawaii or thailand are on my wife’s retire early list.

I'll need $2.5 million. Then I will have officially bought my way out of wage slavery, likely in perpetuity.

Which is the goal we should all strive towards.

Reactions: 8 users
At this point if someone Venmoed me $10,000 I would quit pharmacy for good. For me to permanently retire I would need 2.5 million. 500k covers a nice house/property in my area and 2 million kicks off $60,000 at a conservative 3% withdrawal rate.

At this point if someone Venmoed me $10,000 I would quit pharmacy for good. For me to permanently retire I would need 2.5 million. 500k covers a nice house/property in my area and 2 million kicks off $60,000 at a conservative 3% withdrawal rate.

Only 10k to quit pharmacy? You should be able to save that up in a few months?

Personally I would move to Hawaii if I had $1mil and work a chill job. If I had an extra $100k or $250k I would buy an investment property which I would also consider life changing.
Hawaii is expensive AF though. Not just real estate but any consumable goods due to logistics. If I had to live in Hawaii I'd probably have to continue working lol

Personally I would like to be at least 2m or 2.5m net worth not including primary residence before quitting work for good

Reactions: 3 users
Its not that bad if you plan it right tbh, Hawaii or thailand are on my wife’s retire early list.
Hmm what sort of planning do you mean? Increased cost of goods alone would make early retirement tricky then the housing is so expensive too. At least compared to areas that I'm used to.

$600,000 - pay off all debts
$1-2 Million - buy a home in Jericho, New York (best school district on Long Island and right off the Long Island Expressway for easy access to NYC, close to railroads, 30 mins from JFK airport)

So maybe $5 million to live comfortably while still working.

Hawaii is expensive AF though. Not just real estate but any consumable goods due to logistics. If I had to live in Hawaii I'd probably have to continue working lol

Personally I would like to be at least 2m or 2.5m net worth not including primary residence before quitting work for good

How do average folks afford Hawaii then? Most people don't have an advanced degree with 6 figure salary.

$600,000 - pay off all debts
$1-2 Million - buy a home in Jericho, New York (best school district on Long Island and right off the Long Island Expressway for easy access to NYC, close to railroads, 30 mins from JFK airport)

So maybe $5 million to live comfortably while still working.

Damn even with 5mil you'd still need to work? I would have no interest in living in the northeast if I had that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do average folks afford Hawaii then? Most people don't have an advanced degree with 6 figure salary.
I have family in Hawaii and I don't even know how they manage. Most people living there are probably just getting by and the concept of "retiring" is not an option

I have family in Hawaii and I don't even know how they manage. Most people living there are probably just getting by and the concept of "retiring" is not an option
Live in Hawaii. Can confirm. The only people with comfortable finances have generational wealth.

Live in Hawaii. Can confirm. The only people with comfortable finances have generational wealth.
That being said, I voted for $1M because I could own a house outright here for that much. I’d still have to work, but wouldn’t have a mortgage taking most of my income.

If we are talking about a yearly salary 500k would be life changing.

Damn even with 5mil you'd still need to work? I would have no interest in living in the northeast if I had that much.

About $3 mil disposable after buying the house. I'd want to at least by making $80-100k a year while having the $3 million growing.

1 million to be FI and to start planning scaling down and retirement....to retire early will need more when you consider inflation. Working on phase II right now..,scaling back on hours.

I'm still too far away from Medicare that paying out of pocket for health insurance is a factor, and I have both parents and in-laws who are going to have end of life care expenses of an unknown duration and dollar amount that I will have to contend with.

So $5 million for me. Another 3-4 years of this bull market and I'll be there. Until then: off to work I go.

Hmm what sort of planning do you mean? Increased cost of goods alone would make early retirement tricky then the housing is so expensive too. At least compared to areas that I'm used to.

Just do a Costco run every couple of weeks, I found they were still decently priced.

And if you’re open to any island. Obv most parts of oahu are gonna be California expensive but there are some gems in other areas if you’re just looking for the quiet island life

Depends on what you’re looking for

Life changing is a lot more than I use to think it was. Up until 4-5 million the focus for me is on retirement funds...only after that I think I would start thinking of disposable. I think between 500k to 10 mil the noticeable upgrades are:

- buy those nicer prices of furniture you've been putting off
- make those home improvements you've been delaying
- order whatever on the menu without paying attention to the cost
- fly business once in a while
- upgrade your phone plan to unlimited data fast speed
- buy that grail item piece of clothing or footwear you've wanted - or maybe the dream car
- stay in a nicer hotel on vacations
- expand your investment options

But, what you can't do is buy a 30 million dollar crib oceanfront on an island with a personal chef. That's what I would consider life changing. The above are nice upgrades but I don't think they're life changing. Of course, that's assuming you're not in debt. Getting out of (bad) debt is the first life changing step.

Life changing for us would be at least $10,000,000 post taxes in cash or near cash equivalents. I would still work though.

Wow, so 9.9mil would not change your life?

• Haha
Life changing is a lot more than I use to think it was. Up until 4-5 million the focus for me is on retirement funds...only after that I think I would start thinking of disposable. I think between 500k to 10 mil the noticeable upgrades are:

- buy those nicer prices of furniture you've been putting off
- make those home improvements you've been delaying
- order whatever on the menu without paying attention to the cost
- fly business once in a while
- upgrade your phone plan to unlimited data fast speed
- buy that grail item piece of clothing or footwear you've wanted - or maybe the dream car
- stay in a nicer hotel on vacations
- expand your investment options

But, what you can't do is buy a 30 million dollar crib oceanfront on an island with a personal chef. That's what I would consider life changing. The above are nice upgrades but I don't think they're life changing. Of course, that's assuming you're not in debt. Getting out of (bad) debt is the first life changing step.
Overall I agree with your thought process but I do have one line item I want to critique. “Unlimited” data plans can be had for like $25/month/line with Hello Mobile or Mint Mobile. Really no reason to wait to be a millionaire to splurge on that.

Isn't service less reliable than regular Verizon wireless though? But yes you dont have to wait to have millions for any one of those things I mentioned. They just happen to be things I make excuses to put off but fulfill one by one with time.

Isn't service less reliable than regular Verizon wireless though? But yes you dont have to wait to have millions for any one of those things I mentioned. They just happen to be things I make excuses to put off but fulfill one by one with time.
No, they run on the same networks. I literally can’t tell the difference between my service now and when I paid WAY more with AT&T.

Google MVNOs. They are prepaid plans that use the same exact towers as Verizon, ATT etc. There are many to choose from, here's a couple examples.

Verizon towers:
Visible wireless $40/mo unlimited everything
Redpocket $30/mo for 10gb

ATT towers:
Cricket 4 lines for $100 unlimited everything

In addition to the lower price, the prepaid cards always go on sale. I have Cricket 4 lines for $100 but I always buy the cards for 10-20% off when they're on sale. I laugh at people who pay more for a T-Mobile contract and get crappy service and overage charges when they go over their data limit. There is no reason to have a phone plan, those are so 2007.

Similarly, I laugh at people who pay hundreds per month for TV/internet. There is no reason to be stuck in a cable plan in 2021. Verizon FiOS is $40/mo for internet only, no commitment. No need to switch every year or two like before, the price stays the same. Ditch cable/satellite TV and share streaming services with friends and family.

Last edited:
How much money do you have to have if you are someone who only flies first class or only stays at 5 star hotels?

Example, Etihad has "The Residence" which is apparently 30,000 one way. 20 round trip flights a year and you are already down $1.2 million.

How much money do you have to have if you are someone who only flies first class or only stays at 5 star hotels?

Example, Etihad has "The Residence" which is apparently 30,000 one way. 20 round trip flights a year and you are already down $1.2 million.

Most of those are business travelers who can charge the flights as business expenses.

Then there are people who do mileage runs to gain like a million miles and get free flights. My buddy is a software engineer who works remote and he does mileage runs all the time. He has elite status which gives him free first class flights and lounge access. He'll fly to Hong Kong then Paris then Columbia then back to the States just to earn miles.

Why pay for first class when business gets you 90% of the experience (a lie-flat seat)? Btw only suckers / actual wealthy folks pony up cash for these flights. As mentos pointed out most of these paid tickets are for business write-offs. Many are able to sit in the front with elite status/point redemptions

Just do a Costco run every couple of weeks, I found they were still decently priced.

And if you’re open to any island. Obv most parts of oahu are gonna be California expensive but there are some gems in other areas if you’re just looking for the quiet island life

Depends on what you’re looking for
The only places less expensive than Oahu are high-crime areas that are far from all commerce and on the most active volcano.

Wow, so 9.9mil would not change your life?
I consider those numbers so close they would be the same. It's only a 1% difference, and wealth can certainly change more than that in a day really easily.

I will give you example to support our number. My wife was laid off of her job, and at the time that amounted to around $200,000 annual income. I thought we would have to change our lifestyle a little and maybe let go the nanny and change investment allocation. In actuality, we changed nothing.

That's why I strongly agree with wazoodog, until $10,000,000 in cash or near-cash equivalents, my life isn't changing because excess cash is going to retirement, college saving for kiddo, with some reasonable lifestyle improvements and giving. After all, what can't most do at $4 million that could be done at $5 million? I believe once we exceed $10 million, I would feel more comfortable with greater lifestyle improvements. However, I would still work.

In terms of net worth, one isn't 1% until you are over $11 million anyway. While being a single-digit multimillionaire doesn't necessarily make you middle class, many realistically can face the same economic concerns as the middle class, just with more resources. Post money for me is about $10 million liquidated assets (including unrestricted equity).

My mentor used to say 20 years ago that a net worth between $1 million and $20 million is just getting comfortable. I mostly agree although I wonder if these numbers should be inflation adjusted.

Last edited:
$2million. I would quit my job and move my family to Turkey or Portugal

I think I would go insane if I won the lottery and decided to quit...would want to work part time minimum even if stumbling upon life changing amount of money out of boredom. I'm not looking forward to retirement/would want to work no matter what to stay with it from a cognitive stand point to avoid social isolation in the real world (internet/information overload)

I think I would go insane if I won the lottery and decided to quit...would want to work part time minimum even if stumbling upon life changing amount of money out of boredom. I'm not looking forward to retirement/would want to work no matter what to stay with it from a cognitive stand point to avoid social isolation in the real world (internet/information overload)
I agree with this sentiment but would drastically change what I do. I'd look for low stress passion projects/volunteer opportunities and most likely only work a couple days a week. It would almost definitely not be something that directly interacted with the public.

Verizon towers:
Visible wireless $40/mo unlimited everything
I found about a visible only a few months ago and was considering switching. I think I hesitated when I saw that its lower priority when the network is strained and video quality isn't as good. Good to hear people don't notice much of a difference though. Works pays for my phone bill now so I just upgraded my regular Verizon wireless line.

And yeah, as income goes up I just end up putting a bigger percentage of each paycheck away to investments to get our nest egg to the target number. If things are going really well, it just means the target number goes up for a more cushy retirement or earlier target date for earlier retirement. Actual lifestyle hasn't changed much except the little things. I fly business for work, but with family vacations its coach - id like to use mileage to upgrade to business but end up choosing to fly coach if it means extra free trips. As we get older though, I find flying coach physically harder so will probably start flying business class for leisure.

I think it would take a payout that brings me to 10-15 million to feel life changing. And 50 million to feel really life changing.

Lack of service "parity" may be a thing. MVNOs may have "lower priority"

Anecdotally Republic Wireless (MVNO that uses T-mobile network) seems pretty **** when you get to rural areas. You prob won't notice as much (if not a heavy data user) in major metro areas

I'll need $2.5 million. Then I will have officially bought my way out of wage slavery, likely in perpetuity.

Which is the goal we should all strive towards.

I agree, man. But we gotta keep our health in check, also. It does no good to have all that money when you're crippled...

I still wanna get there, but I don't wanna compromise my health doing it. That's why I want to take a break at $250,000 or so...take 6 months to a year off, hit the gym, see the world, come back to work refreshed and ready to kick ass again. At least, that's the plan.

Last edited:
Lack of service "parity" may be a thing. MVNOs may have "lower priority"

Anecdotally Republic Wireless (MVNO that uses T-mobile network) seems pretty **** when you get to rural areas. You prob won't notice as much (if not a heavy data user) in major metro areas

Do people need high speed wireless data that much? I'm on wifi 95% of the time. I'm not watching videos when I'm outside hiking in the woods. Even if I am, it still seems fast to me.

Btw, has anyone ever considered living outside the US? Pretty sure you won't need $2.5 million to retire in Thailand... : )

I know, quality of life, etc, but has anyone here actually tried to make it work?

My first $250k which paid off my initial house, car, and wedding. I somewhat disagree with the idea that one should be concerned about working for money after 5M unless you're obsessed. There's plenty of better reasons to work at that level (power, control, charity).

Reactions: 4 users
Half a million. I could pay off my loans and mortgage and consider jobs that aren't 503(b) which PSLF is contigent on.
I’ve done both these things and still am working at a 501c3. It’s been less life changing than I expected.

Last edited:
I just bought a $50 Cricket refill for $42.75. The people with expensive contracts can have their data prioritization at 4x the price.

anytime i feel like maybe I'm becoming too cheap, all I have to do is to log on the pharmacy forum to realize that maybe I'm not so bad lol

• Haha
ill take 2 mill, put it in VTI and retire.

Reactions: 5 users
anytime i feel like maybe I'm becoming too cheap, all I have to do is to log on the pharmacy forum to realize that maybe I'm not so bad lol

What makes you say that? We got people here saying they need at least $10 mil to change their lives.

What makes you say that? We got people here saying they need at least $10 mil to change their lives.

I don't think you understand what being cheap means lol also it's pretty well known a lot of people on here are pretty cheap

I don't think you understand what being cheap means lol also it's pretty well known a lot of people on here are pretty cheap

I guess I don't? Do you mean we are cheap because we use prepaid phone plans instead of contracts?