How much does it matter which med school you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryAf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, but I see a lot of US students argue about top tier schools - my point is, isn't med school, med school? Just getting into any should be good enough, no?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
God I hope I get into any medical school in USA or Canada then... Don't wanna go to the Caribbean -___-

It depends what you want to do. Some competitive specialties have tough job markets right now, where getting a job without relocation requires that you did a competitive residency. Look at Harvard or Stanford's match list and tell me school doesn't matter.

Hah! For a Canadian, you're alright.

Next time use search.

Thanks lol. And new here :naughty:

It depends what you want to do. Some competitive specialties have tough job markets right now, where getting a job without relocation requires that you did a competitive residency. Look at Harvard or Stanford's match list and tell me school doesn't matter.

Ahhh, why not just do a normal residency and move on?

And landing those residencies depend on Step I scores, research, and solid recommendations - all of which can be obtained at practically any US med school.

Thanks lol. And new here :naughty:

Ahhh, why not just do a normal residency and move on?

I'd personally like to have a choice in where I live after spending 8 years living wherever my school/training is.

Just because harvard or stanford students match into programs affiliated with top20 schools doesn't mean the residency program is necessarily a "top" program as well.

Harvard, Stanford etc. (which are similar programs) students match into a lot of Harvard, Stanford, etc. residencies. Likely because if they were interested in Harvard, Stanford, etc's medical school programs, they would likewise be interested in Harvard, Stanford, etc.'s residency programs too. And likely if Harvard, Stanford, etc. were interested in these individuals as medical school candidates, they would likely also be interested in them as residency candidates as well. Notice my trend here?