How much does the school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheeseandcrackers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This is more of a personal question but I recently got accepted to a school (yay!) but it was the school that I least wanted to attend, for a variety of reasons. However, I didn't get into any other schools that I was interested in that offered extra-curriculars, interprofessional events, family-esque cohort, community service projects like free wheelchair mission, smaller faculty student ratio, research projects. Do these "extras" really make or break the experience? How much of a difference does the curricula make (i.e more known for ortho than neuro, which is what I'm interested in)? Is it more important to just graduate and become a PT?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
This is more of a personal question but I recently got accepted to a school (yay!) but it was the school that I least wanted to attend, for a variety of reasons. However, I didn't get into any other schools that I was interested in that offered extra-curriculars, interprofessional events, family-esque cohort, community service projects like free wheelchair mission, smaller faculty student ratio, research projects. Do these "extras" really make or break the experience? How much of a difference does the curricula make (i.e more known for ortho than neuro, which is what I'm interested in)? Is it more important to just graduate and become a PT?
Thanks in advance!
The only thing that matters is that program prepares you to pass the license exam.

Reactions: 1 users
...extra-curriculars, interprofessional events, family-esque cohort, community service projects like free wheelchair mission, smaller faculty student ratio, research projects....

Oh man. All that stuff sounds like extra time commitments on top of what will already be a very busy period of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If costs are equal, find which one suits your needs the best. You're not going to like the vibe at some schools. If you're not into research, avoid research schools. If you like small class sizes, choose schools with small classes. If you haven't been in school for awhile, choose a school with a more forgiving dismissal policy.

Honestly you shouldn't have applied to a school that you were not willing to attend. I realize that circumstances change over time, but personally I think you'd be out of your mind to turn down an acceptance for a gamble at getting in next year. I would strongly recommend getting your DPT done and getting out...it's 3 years compared to 40 years of being a PT.