How much have you spent so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophie.lu101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo I did a tally last night about how much I've spent so far on this application cycle. With my primaries and secondaries to 25 schools, interview attire, and travel to five interviews (taxi to/from airport, flights, and hotels), it comes out to about $6k... my wallet is crying lol.

Has anyone else been keeping a tally? Or does anyone who applied in previous cycles remember how much they spent in total?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm around $5500 for 28 apps and 6 interviews, I'm starting to hope I don't get any more II's haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Around $5-6k for 24 complete apps (28 primaries) and 5 interviews so I feel you man

Reactions: 1 user
I have a different story since I only applied to schools that are in driving distance& I'm a Texas resident.
Completed 9 apps/ 2II & spent $382 including hotels (excludes gas/ food; was not keeping track of them).

I am just thankful that I could afford my application fees so far since it would have been really difficult if I had to pay for flights, etc. on top of paying for my bills..

I have a whole spreadsheet going for 31 schools primaries, secondaries, interview attire and travel to a couple interviews I'm at $4000.

27 schools... I'm guessing 6k minimum. I think of it as an investment in myself.

I got FAP, so I only ended up paying $300 or so for schools over my free 15, and secondaries were waived. I got a credit card with a huge travel bonus earlier this year, so I have 3 cross country round trips in points. (Would totally recommend to every applicant) + I'm driving to schools as much as possible.

Interview attire was around $200. Additional travel expenses will probably be like $500-$1000

I'm pretty poor though, and my parents can't contribute, so it works out ok

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
$4100 for apps (28 complete, 31 primaries)
~ $300 for interview outfit
~ $600 for travel to 1st interview
~ $400 for travel to 2nd interview (haven't paid all of this yet, but everything's booked)
$1500 for deposit on 1st acceptance (also haven't paid this yet, but will send it in this week)
~$6900

Probably a bit more actually, if I actually tallied all the receipts instead of doing a rough calculation, but *le sigh* I try not to think about it too much. My absolute limit on this process (especially now that I have an acceptance in hand) is 10k, but I'm hoping to get away with less than that. It'd be super to get an interview within driving distance, but it's still silence from those schools so far.

5-10K not including the opportunity cost of my time.

Reactions: 3 users
5-10K not including the opportunity cost of my time.
Ah yes the opportunity cost is a huge factor too. I don't get paid vacation days from my work, so I'm basically out a month's pay due to interview travel:/

$4500 and many tears for 26 primaries, 25 secondaries, 4 interviews

Reactions: 2 users
I will get back to you as this is my second year. Just this year is more than 3.4 k though.

I'm just going to take into account the impact of the increased cortisol levels on my health and say at least $10k+

Reactions: 10 users
About 3k give or take. I'm actually gonna buy a new suit soon so there's 3-400 dollars gone. 13 secondaries and 17 primaries. 2 II - 1 local and 1 in AZ. Sucks but that's the price we pay to play.

Including last year since I'm a reapplicant, probably like 14k :(

considering i probably chopped off a good 2-3 years of my life just from the stress of this process......$400,000

Out of pocket postbacc = $23,000+

First round apps = $6,000
First round interviews = $1200

Second round apps = $5000
Second round interviews = $8 (+$20 for helping out someone that didn't have cash in the cash only parking garage:()

Interesting breakdown for me..:angelic: