How much OMM do DO FM residents have to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamanteus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a DO student, I can't really say that OMM has ever really interested me much besides a few little things here and there. If after starting residency (say at an MD/DO program) I let the cat out of the bag about my lack of interest in it, would I still be expected to keep up with my (lackluster) OMM skills, or is residency that point in time where you can start making decisions for yourself about how much you want to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask during your interviews as this will vary quite a bit from program to program.

We have several DO's at our program but no faculty. So none of our do's have osteopathic preceptors to supervise. The most OMM I see them do is on each other.

My program is very DO friendly (but not dual accredited) they've had enough DO's go through and become faculty that now there is mandatory OMM clinic staffed by the DO residents (though some MD's come and learn/participate too).

I'm not too keen on it myself, I also don't much care for OMM. But it's only two clinics a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

SLC, if the program is only ACGME-accredited, how can the DO residents be forced to do OMM?

Thanks for the replies.

SLC, if the program is only ACGME-accredited, how can the DO residents be forced to do OMM?

It's a program policy, I doubt the ACGME can require it, but that doesn't mean the program can't set those expectations for itself.

Reactions: 1 users
I am at an AOA FM program in AZ. We have a three hour didactic and lab once per quarter.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you expected to perform OMM on patients, or is it up to you?