How much time should I spend for each passage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlh19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I read on here somewhere a good breakdown for timing for all the passages and questions but for the life of me I can not find it. Could someone either copy the link to that thread or tell me how much time should I spend per passage on all the sections? Basically I just need the timing breakdown I should be shooting for during my practice and studying. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, you shouldn't really be worried about timing at the start of your studying. How much time until your test?

I take it May 8th. I'm completing my content review right now and will be starting to do timed practice passages in the next few weeks.

If you are referring to TBR passages, dont worry about timing too much as long as you dont go over 10 min.
Their questions take much longer than those from AAMC do.

For AAMC FLs,

I do this:
After doing all discretes = 60 mins left
After finishing the 4th passage = 28~30 mins left

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool thanks for the insight! So I should be shooting for 7-8 mins per passage to leave a comfortable margin?

Yeah that sounds right. But let your prep for time happen a bit more naturally than shooting for a certain time. Honestly, you are meant to mark questions you can't figure out immediately, come back to them later, skip an entire passage for later, etc. Don't think you have to march through from beginning to end, spending 8 mins per passage.

If you look at the test on a per question basis, and when you look at a question and you don't know how to get the answer in 15 seconds, skip it and come back. (Note: I said how to, not actually have the answer). The 7-8 min per passage should come about naturally, without you having to aim for it.

Also, I wouldn't do the discretes all first. They're there to help you take a break between passages.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Reactions: 1 user