How often do you get time outside?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I've been outside for a total of 5 minutes since I began my internship. Everyone keeps complaining about how pale I look. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

I think I've been outside for a total of 5 minutes since I began my internship. Everyone keeps complaining about how pale I look. :shrug:

Been over twenty years or so, but to this day I like to just sit and listen to it rain, because for my entire internship year I never heard it rain. Not once. I was always in the hospital.

But, hang in there. They cannot stop the clock. Your internship will end.

Been over twenty years or so, but to this day I like to just sit and listen to it rain, because for my entire internship year I never heard it rain. Not once. I was always in the hospital.

But, hang in there. They cannot stop the clock. Your internship will end.
Thanks, this made me feel better :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I started planning outdoor activities for my day off specifically because of this. If all of your sunshine happens one day a week you need to make sure you get at least a few hours of it.

I started planning outdoor activities for my day off specifically because of this. If all of your sunshine happens one day a week you need to make sure you get at least a few hours of it.

Good point

Last week I had a day off and drove around with the top off of my jeep. I got so sunburned everybody the next day at morning report was making fun of me.

Last week I had a day off and drove around with the top off of my jeep. I got so sunburned everybody the next day at morning report was making fun of me.
Totally off topic, but is it true that people who drive Jeeps wave at other Jeep drivers? I've heard that but never confirmed it.

Reminds me of my internship.

My friends at home in California asked me how I tolerated the humidity back east. I remember thinking, "what humidity?". It was dark when I went in to the hospital and dark when I left. Never noted much humidity (too bad I didn't escape the snow in the same fashion - it was still there when I went outside).

Reminds me of my internship.

My friends at home in California asked me how I tolerated the humidity back east. I remember thinking, "what humidity?". It was dark when I went in to the hospital and dark when I left. Never noted much humidity (too bad I didn't escape the snow in the same fashion - it was still there when I went outside).
Haha so true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for your input. At first, my determination was greatly tested. While I still miss the outdoors, I just want to say, I'm actually loving my internship. I may be deluded by sleep deprivation but at the current moment, I just feel an absolute rush of excitement and happiness. Plus, I realized I actually like working the wee hours of the morning :D

Last edited:

This thread's title really puts intern year into perspective... :eek::laugh:

Totally off topic, but is it true that people who drive Jeeps wave at other Jeep drivers? I've heard that but never confirmed it.

Yeah, but not everyone does. It used to be that GI's coming home from WWII would buy surplus Jeeps, as they'd driven and grown fond of them wherever they were fighting. So if you drove a Jeep, there was a good chance you had served in the military, and if you saw another coming the opposite direction, there was a good chance its driver did as well. Hence the wave as a sort of pseudo-salute.

Unless you have 10 ward months during your intern year you should be able to get your time in the sun. And I'm surprisingly liking intern year too! :)

Unless you have 10 ward months during your intern year you should be able to get your time in the sun. And I'm surprisingly liking intern year too! :)

You are assuming that all residencies have ward months and outpatient clinic months. Some residency specialties are in the hospital all 12 months of the year.

Almost all surgical specialties have "ward" months 12 months a year. I averaged around 95 hours a week my intern year. Almost always went in before sunrise (earliest was 4:45, latest was 6), often went home after sunset. Averaged 2.5 days off a month.

Almost all surgical specialties have "ward" months 12 months a year. I averaged around 95 hours a week my intern year. Almost always went in before sunrise (earliest was 4:45, latest was 6), often went home after sunset. Averaged 2.5 days off a month.

I can identify with this, especially the last sentence. That type of thing is what really hurt during internship.

Like I say, I spent four years in the Marine Corps, and I would rather do those four years over again than do my internship year again.

You are assuming that all residencies have ward months and outpatient clinic months. Some residency specialties are in the hospital all 12 months of the year.

Yeah just started a surgical Icu month. Not having as much fun as I was anymore. It gets better after intern year right?

Yeah just started a surgical Icu month. Not having as much fun as I was anymore. It gets better after intern year right?

Uhhh...yeah sure.

Actually, in the old days that would be true. Now with work hours and call requirements being shifted upwards I'm not sure that in reference to fatigue that things don't get worse as you become more senior resident.

Uhhh...yeah sure.

Actually, in the old days that would be true. Now with work hours and call requirements being shifted upwards I'm not sure that in reference to fatigue that things don't get worse as you become more senior resident.

Depends on program and type of residency, of course. My PGY-2 has so far been better than Intern year.

What is this "lunch time" you speaketh of?
Blasphemy!

Oh, we had lunch served for us in the doctors lounge between 11am and 2pm. Got food and went to noon lecture at 12:30. Always time to sit outside a little bit each day. Sorry, I had a really great residency.

Oh, we had lunch served for us in the doctors lounge between 11am and 2pm. Got food and went to noon lecture at 12:30. Always time to sit outside a little bit each day. Sorry, I had a really great residency.

Listen, don't be sorry. It was more in jest than anything...