How Old is Too Old for TPRH Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

HCHopeful

I am interested in purchasing a 2008 edition of the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook but worried it may not be up to par with what I want. The price, however, is making me consider it.

Does anyone know the differences between the editions? Is there anything drastic? Or is this edition acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the breakdown on the changes to the MCAT. 2003 marked a major change. Anything after that will be somewhat consistent with the difficulty level of today's test but the passages will be longer because in 2007, the test was changed from 8 hours to 5 hours. Ultimately, I would not recommend using anything before 2007 as your primary source for practice tests. Since your book is from 2008, they should technically be viable for the current MCAT. However I don't have any experience with that specific edition of hyperlearning. I know the current edition is excellent practice and if there weren't too many changes it should be solid.

bump! i'm interested. i have a 2009 version....hoping that year's books are alright to study from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am unaware of what the answer to this is! I decided to purchase the 2010 Verbal Workbook. I think '09 would be acceptable, but that's off of a "feeling" and nothing more.

honestly I feel like nothing really compared to the AAMC verbal.. these sources only improve your reading comprehension but AAMC has it's own distinct passage types and questions.

I really recommend the self assessments if you want AAMC like verbal. Otherwise TPRH and TBR and EK101 all just good reading comprehension practice :)

By the way, Kaplan just sucks. I just felt the need to say that.

I'm regularly scoring 32/40 on EK101 and TPRH (as well as on AAMC #3), but I haven't score above a 26/40 on any one of the Kaplan verbal tests.

As far as comparing to AAMC verbal, I agree! But practice is practice. Reading long, boring passages will help in the long run. (I hope so anyway...)