How prestigious is George Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bqj

bqj
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. After being accepted there, a lot of people congradulate me for being accepted at a "prestigious" school, but I wonder how they know. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Well it's not Harvard Hopkins Wash U UPenn Duke, etc...

I think they are better known for their undergrad school, and people relate this to the medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never heard of it, so definitely not as prestigious as JHU, MGH, etc. I'd take reputation over prestige any day though.

I've noticed that the schools in Washington enjoy a prestige among the general public that is greater than what the US News ranking would suggest. Why? Who the hell knows, but if you end up matriculating, then more power to you!

it's not really "prestigious" And neither is their undergrad.

i would have gone there. sounds like a great school with their focus on public health and their involvement in health policy. but alas...its not as prestigious as harvard...but it doesnt mean its not a good school.

doc05 said:
it's not really "prestigious" And neither is their undergrad.
This is true, is a decent undergrad university and a decent medical school. Its ranked in the 40's by USNEWS, nothing spectacular, but very solid. Its name recognition is greater than its prestige factor, and to those who know little about medical schools, etc. that makes them think its prestigious because they have heard of it. As far as DC, I believe Georgetown is considered the school to be at over GW.

EDIT: GW is not ranked by usnews (Georgetown is in the 40's). Sorry!

YzIa said:
This is true, is a decent undergrad university and a decent medical school. Its ranked in the 40's by USNEWS, nothing spectacular, but very solid. Its name recognition is greater than its prestige factor, and to those who know little about medical schools, etc. that makes them think its prestigious because they have heard of it. As far as DC, I believe Georgetown is considered the school to be at over GW.

They are both uppity schools for rich people (atleast the undergrad schools are) . More so true for Gtown

Are you talking about Georgetown or George Washington? The last time I checked GW did not make the Top 60 medical schools.

YzIa said:

GW is not ranked in either Research or Primary Care by US news. Georgetown is ranked 43rd in research and is not ranked in primary care.

#1SDNer said:
Are you talking about Georgetown or George Washington? The last time I checked GW did not make the Top 60 medical schools.

Yeah, GW isn't ranked by US News in the top 60. But Georgetown is.

Oops, I posted at the same time as you, SanDiegoSOD. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
YzIa said:
This is true, is a decent undergrad university and a decent medical school. Its ranked in the 40's by USNEWS,

No, it's not. Georgetown is.

YzIa said:
nothing spectacular, but very solid. Its name recognition is greater than its prestige factor, and to those who know little about medical schools, etc. that makes them think its prestigious because they have heard of it. As far as DC, I believe Georgetown is considered the school to be at over GW.

True.

Blake said:
Never heard of it, so definitely not as prestigious as JHU, MGH, etc. I'd take reputation over prestige any day though.

Well, MGH is a hospital. Not a medical school. So it's not really the same.

bqj said:
Just curious. After being accepted there, a lot of people congradulate me for being accepted at a "prestigious" school, but I wonder how they know. Anyone know?
Congratulations. It's probably the best program in DC, especially given the financial problems Georgetown is going through.

stinkycheese said:
Well, MGH is a hospital. Not a medical school. So it's not really the same.
Oops. I meant harvard. Been hanging too much on nsmatch, me thinks :laugh:

YzIa said:

Georgetown doesnt have any reason to be 'ranked' any better than GW. I personally would have preferred GW over GU if I had to make that choice. GW is far more convenient in terms of transportation and has superior facilities.

Georgetown med's reputation is kinda attached to its undergrad and law school which are pretty reputable. It 'sounds' like a prestigious med school. I guess you have to pay for name brand considering their crazy school budget.

I have actually heard from a Georgetown student that they wish they had chosen GW. I may be wrong, but I think they have superior facilities. GW is on the rise, while georgetown is on the fall.

ntmed said:
Congratulations. I'm a 4th-year medical student at GW. It's definitely the best program in DC, especially given the financial problems Georgetown is going through. And it's a solid medical school overall. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about the school.

Thanks. I was very impressed with the school and the students there and I'm seriously considering it.

I live and have grown up in the Washington DC area and as far as prestige goes, Georgetown is by far the most prestigous. In fact most of the professors in the local colleges will state that Georgetown is the ONLY A rated school in the Washington Metro Area. I am not too sure how the medical schools match up against each other though - I am only speaking in terms of undergrad reputation. I did however work at the medical school in Georgetown a while back and THEY claim to be the better of the two when asked, but I have never really looked into it. I personally think they are both good schools and wouldn't mind ending up at either one of the two.

bqj said:
Thanks. I was very impressed with the school and the students there and I'm seriously considering it.
my bad on the ranking i posted, i should really have double checked the numbers, I thought GT was in the 30's and GW 40's but I was just mistaken that GT was in the 40's and GW not ranked. At least I got the order right and I still think the just of my post is accurate.

GW's not ranked in the list on usnews, but if you go to the specific school page, it says it's #68, so not far off (Gtown is 43). By NIH rankings, GW is 92 and Gtown is 63. GW's facilities are definitely better, esp. w/ the new hospital and training area. I agree that Gtown has a bit more prestige to the name. As someone mentioned, GW has some great international programs, if you're at all interested in that. Both are good schools - all depends on what you're looking for...

nabeel76 said:
I live and have grown up in the Washington DC area and as far as prestige goes, Georgetown is by far the most prestigous. In fact most of the professors in the local colleges will state that Georgetown is the ONLY A rated school in the Washington Metro Area. I am not too sure how the medical schools match up against each other though - I am only speaking in terms of undergrad reputation. I did however work at the medical school in Georgetown a while back and THEY claim to be the better of the two when asked, but I have never really looked into it. I personally think they are both good schools and wouldn't mind ending up at either one of the two.

I would think that Johns Hopkins is far more prestigious than either for undergrad and med in the DC Metro area (although it is 40 min from DC).

exmike said:
I would think that Johns Hopkins is far more prestigious than either for undergrad and med in the DC Metro area (although it is 40 min from DC).

Hopkins definitely is, but Baltimore is not really considered the DC Metro Area. Most people typically refer to the DC Metro Area by everything contained within and right outside the 495 outer and inner loops of the beltway. 395 runs through the loop into DC and 66 West into Northern Virginia, and is typically included as well. Baltimore has its own beltway system and thus most people do not include it as a part of the DC area.

george washington is more geared for political and business majors, but if you get into the med school, its a great place to be if you want to be in the center of political activity.

but med school is med school wherever you go if you're going the primary care route.

nabeel76 said:
Hopkins definitely is, but Baltimore is not really considered the DC Metro Area. Most people typically refer to the DC Metro Area by everything contained within and right outside the 495 outer and inner loops of the beltway. 395 runs through the loop into DC and 66 West into Northern Virginia, and is typically included as well. Baltimore has its own beltway system and thus most people do not include it as a part of the DC area.

I agree with this -- it's apples and oranges. Hopkins is one of the best med schools, but once you get a bit further into Maryland than the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area it ceases to be the DC metropolitan area and starts to be the Baltimore suburbs. My 2 cents from a former DC resident and Gtown grad school alumnus, Georgetown is clearly considered in and outside of DC as more prestigious and is always more highly ranked by US news and other ranking publications. But George Washington certainly has the nicer hospital, and is in the nicer area of town (Foggy Bottom).

My opinion having interviewed at both and being a lifelong DC resident: if you care about name, go to Georgetown. If you care about becoming a good physician/clinician, go to GW.

I shadowed at GW Hospital during the application season. The facilities are great and the people are friendly and organized. Georgetown has a better name, but probably because of their undergrad, b-school, IR school etc. Seeing both places, I would definitely pick GW over Georgetown for med school.

DCM said:
I shadowed at GW Hospital during the application season. The facilities are great and the people are friendly and organized. Georgetown has a better name, but probably because of their undergrad, b-school, IR school etc. Seeing both places, I would definitely pick GW over Georgetown for med school.

I agree; I know QUITE a few people who went to Gtown and the common consensus is that the curriculum and facilities are sub-par, and that it is an old Jesuit boys club. GW :thumbup: , Gtown :thumbdown:

Here's my take. I think that GW knows that they're not a research powerhouse so they're not going to try to compete on that level. Instead, they try to focus on producing great clinicians. Hence the new hospital with almost an entire floor dedicated to teaching medical students. I'm not sure about Georgetown, but GW's got many affiliations with different hospitals in the area: the VA hospital, Inova Fairfax (in Virginia), Children's Hospital, and a few others.

Georgetown is a good school and has that name-brand recognition. However, I definitely think GW is on the rise whereas G'Town is slipping. Regardless, they're both going to be good schools and I don't think people can choose wrong.

Sam

nabeel76 said:
but Baltimore is not really considered the DC Metro Area...Baltimore has its own beltway system and thus most people do not include it as a part of the DC area.

Tell this to Peter Angelos (owner of Orioles)!

GW has a jamba juice. YAY jamba juice. :D